Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Elephant board is alive and well after 30 years of battling with Winstone.
I understand James Hardie Ltd, the supplier of the cladding mostly associated with leaky homes was the sponsor of BRANZ for years, maybe still is.
People think there is no corruption in NZ, there is. It is just not brown envelopes as is the case elsewhere.
One of the problem Elephant Board has is that the bracing system fixing at the flooring in 3604 is taken straight from the Braceline manual but is patented to Winstones so they have to use a different hold down system. Some councils have accepted it as an alterative solution but others haven't. Even with councils, some building officers accept it, others haven't. It just not worth going to MBIE for a decision on it so most designers won't specify it.

It's crazy eh. People the world over seem to be able to build houses in a much more effective way than how we've designed our systems. NZ's conditions are no more inhospitable than countless others the world over. Yet we've somehow designed a dog's breakfast of a consenting & construction industry that results in high building costs
We have some of the narrowest guidelines for handrails in the world. Handrail systems approved and used elsewhere will never be approved here.

I did the drawings for the house we live in over thirty years ago.... it would be the equivalent of 6 A3 sheets for the building consent for it as a new build. A project I've just put in for consent for a 48m² addition had 26 A3 sheets. The specification 30 years ago was 14 pages long..... there was over 450 A4 electronic pages for the specification and all the manufacturers technical info and specifications that went with the addition's consent application.... and some poor sucker at the council needs to go through all of it!!!

Government considering adding mental health option when people ring 111
William Hewett

The Government is looking at potentially adding a mental health option for when people call 111 as they look to ease the workload on police.

A proposal has been put forward for police to reduce the number of mental health callouts they attend. In the 2022-23 year, police attended more than 77,000 events involving mental health but only 2 to 4 percent resulted in a criminal offence.

Minister for Mental Health Matt Doocey told AM on Tuesday morning work is underway to establish new teams to work alongside police.

"Quite often when people call 111 with a physical health crisis, they get a health response, but currently in New Zealand when you call 111 with a mental health crisis, you get a criminal justice response," he told AM co-host Melissa Chan-Green.

"So I think it's quite right the officials are looking at how we can look at what's called a co-response mental health team service. That's about pairing up mental health professionals with police to go out in that time of need."

He also believes it's time for a more streamlined response involving other agencies, not just police.

"I think what we need to do is to triage those calls better in the emergency dispatch centres," he said.

"Think about when there's a risk to the person or the family or people around them. Quite rightly, the police would go out but there are other times when there's mental distress that potentially mental health professionals can be paired up with our police officers or potentially just mental health professionals sent out on their own and I think that's the work we need to look at."

Mental Health Minister Matt Doocey says the Government is looking to decrease police workload by reducing the number of mental health callouts they respond to.

Doocey told AM he's also getting advice on potentially adding a mental health option alongside fire, ambulance and police when people call 111.

"We will understand the issues of the call out, the risks and the potential team that needs to be sent out," he said.

"Clearly, we need to look at is the service coming out appropriate to the level of risk, whether that will be police and mental health professionals as well."

But while there might be plans to add a mental health team, people have questioned where the worker would come from given the demand for mental health workers is already incredibly stretched.

Doocey admitted on AM the biggest barrier to timely mental health and addiction support in New Zealand is currently down to the mental health workforce "crisis".

The Mental Health Minister said he's requested that Health NZ, the police and the Ministry of Health look at a five-year rollout of a mental health co-response team programme and would be receiving a report on this proposal in March.

Hey, they are aiming dumb stuff at their target market. What’s the logical conclusion 😉

Honestly misinformation needs to be stamped out of politics
You could have your privatised water charges exceeding 1 million a week and you having to go to prison for not paying it and you'll never concede you write and believe bullshit wiz.

The self contained self sufficient echo chamber.

Show us your Taxpayers union. Go on.

You could have your privatised water charges exceeding 1 million a week and you having to go to prison for not paying it and you'll never concede you write and believe bullshit wiz.

We ‘could’ die of an earthquake or tsunami tomorrow. Shit happens!

‘Could’ is just a scaremongering guess.

Last edited:
Huh? I don’t follow the taxpayer union???

You have a good sense for injustice? Are you happy Labour promoting that rates will double in 30 years when they will with inflation anyway. And then scaremongering and trying to blaming it on National?

Corrupt and blatant misinformation!

Waiting for you to call it out as well…

Government considering adding mental health option when people ring 111
William Hewett

The Government is looking at potentially adding a mental health option for when people call 111 as they look to ease the workload on police.

A proposal has been put forward for police to reduce the number of mental health callouts they attend. In the 2022-23 year, police attended more than 77,000 events involving mental health but only 2 to 4 percent resulted in a criminal offence.

Minister for Mental Health Matt Doocey told AM on Tuesday morning work is underway to establish new teams to work alongside police.

"Quite often when people call 111 with a physical health crisis, they get a health response, but currently in New Zealand when you call 111 with a mental health crisis, you get a criminal justice response," he told AM co-host Melissa Chan-Green.

"So I think it's quite right the officials are looking at how we can look at what's called a co-response mental health team service. That's about pairing up mental health professionals with police to go out in that time of need."

He also believes it's time for a more streamlined response involving other agencies, not just police.

"I think what we need to do is to triage those calls better in the emergency dispatch centres," he said.

"Think about when there's a risk to the person or the family or people around them. Quite rightly, the police would go out but there are other times when there's mental distress that potentially mental health professionals can be paired up with our police officers or potentially just mental health professionals sent out on their own and I think that's the work we need to look at."

Mental Health Minister Matt Doocey says the Government is looking to decrease police workload by reducing the number of mental health callouts they respond to.

Doocey told AM he's also getting advice on potentially adding a mental health option alongside fire, ambulance and police when people call 111.

"We will understand the issues of the call out, the risks and the potential team that needs to be sent out," he said.

"Clearly, we need to look at is the service coming out appropriate to the level of risk, whether that will be police and mental health professionals as well."

But while there might be plans to add a mental health team, people have questioned where the worker would come from given the demand for mental health workers is already incredibly stretched.

Doocey admitted on AM the biggest barrier to timely mental health and addiction support in New Zealand is currently down to the mental health workforce "crisis".

The Mental Health Minister said he's requested that Health NZ, the police and the Ministry of Health look at a five-year rollout of a mental health co-response team programme and would be receiving a report on this proposal in March.

Great plan but by the sound of things there’s no mental health experts to answer the call.

I hear lifesavers want to be on the 111 list as well so they respond and not police.

Keep arguing bro.

I have lost interest, it is like one big loop in here.

I have learned a lot from the articles you post about what the crooks are up too.

Definitely has decided me on preparing for the worst. The direction these nutters are taking will irrevocably change the culture here to one of anger and desperation.

People will become violent. Coro way on some land that has some bush to have space away from other human beings is sounding like the place for me.

The whanau up there don't have interweb, so I will have to factor that in. Atm my kids and the Warriors are my only interest in the city.

There are people that I just cannot abide their attitudes towards others, and right now that group are in power.

Our big issue: someone tell be why we have a staffing crisis in:

Teachers
Firefighters
Paramedics
Mental health people
Nurses
Doctors
Police officers
Council inspectors
Shops
Prison staff
Restaurants
Cafes
Fruit pickers
Road workers
Tradesmen
Retail staff
Lifeguards
Etc, etc

Seriously every industry both public and private has massive shortages in the core roles while our unemployment rate is super low.

We cannot fix this with immigration (just creates more jobs) or getting more unemployed working. There is fundamentally too few people to fill the essential core roles.

It appears to me we have to many people doing non essential roles and not enough people actually doing the basic work. Where have all the people gone?

This is non political but to fix NZ we need to prioritise the actual essential core jobs and reduce the requirement for non essential roles. Less people behind a computer and more doing.

This flows into govt budgets, project timelines, having functional health and education services, getting the service we need, when we need it. It’s crippling the country financially and in performance.

There’s no point trying to find health, roads, etc more when we don’t have a functioning labour workforce to implement it.

Last edited:

Teachers
Firefighters
Paramedics
Mental health people
Nurses
Doctors
Police officers
Council inspectors
Shops
Prison staff
Restaurants
Cafes
Fruit pickers
Road workers
Tradesmen
Retail staff
Lifeguards
Etc, etc

Seriously every industry both public and private has massive shortages in the core roles while our unemployment rate is super low.

We cannot fix this with immigration (just creates more jobs) or getting more unemployed working. There is fundamentally too few people to fill the essential core roles.

It appears to me we have to many people doing non essential roles and not enough people actually doing the basic work. Where have all the people gone?

This is non political but to fix NZ we need to prioritise the actual essential core jobs and reduce the requirement for non essential roles. Less people behind a computer and more doing.

This flows into govt budgets, project timelines, having functional health and education services, getting the service we need, when we need it. It’s crippling the country financially and in performance.
I have mentioned this before but I use LinkedIn for my business and I am always amazed by people who criticise the use of consultants.
When you check out their profiles you see that they are leaders analysts advisors trainers and managers and experts and many other occupations who don't actually build fix or service anything or anyone 🤔
That's without even speaking about board members and chairmen etc etc.
No wonder we are top heavy and costs are so high.
And now Simeon is going to get a new advisory group to investigate the water issue.
No not consultants but hey it's an advisory group.
Is that somehow different??

Last edited:

Teachers
Firefighters
Paramedics
Mental health people
Nurses
Doctors
Police officers
Council inspectors
Shops
Prison staff
Restaurants
Cafes
Fruit pickers
Road workers
Tradesmen
Retail staff
Lifeguards
Etc, etc

There’s no point trying to find health, roads, etc more when we don’t have a functioning labour workforce to implement it.
Could you please list the occupations which you regard as non-essential roles and which have too many people

How do you mean we can't fix it with immigration, aren't we targeting qualified immigrants to fill these roles? Housing them is an issue too though.

Keep arguing bro.

I have lost interest, it is like one big loop in here.

I have learned a lot from the articles you post about what the crooks are up too.

Definitely has decided me on preparing for the worst. The direction these nutters are taking will irrevocably change the culture here to one of anger and desperation.

People will become violent. Coro way on some land that has some bush to have space away from other human beings is sounding like the place for me.

The whanau up there don't have interweb, so I will have to factor that in. Atm my kids and the Warriors are my only interest in the city.

There are people that I just cannot abide their attitudes towards others, and right now that group are in power.
Kia ora sup42, hope things become easier for you mate. A warriors premiership could be just the tonic :)

Yeah, reckon it's time for me to step back from this particular channel.

Tried to keep things factual and provide links and information that can be verified with actual fact as much as possible, and where not possible provide the evidence otherwise.

And the context is so often missing in all of this. Like - we've existed in a neolib framework for 40+ years in this country, and more around the world, that is focussed solely on entrenchment of power and wealth extraction, you see it in the remnants of mainstream media, in elections where left leaning mps are isolated and destroyed, particularly if you're not white, not male, in the ownership of media organisations.

It's astounding to me at least that when someone asks why things are underfunded, they're not interested in the fact that ideologically neoliberalism demands that underfunding - demands that democracy must be broken down, that government must get out the way, that indigenous people must be silenced so their extraction of resources and wealth can continue unimpeded. That the myth "private good public bad" allows them to privatise all of our resources, that were never for sale in the first place.

Privatise the profit, outsource the cost to the public.

And it's complete bullshit that the government can't run things as good as private industry. Simple - corporations run like businesses with a responsibility to the community and environment, owned by all New Zealand. Kiwibank, tvnz are good examples.

It's the ideology of greed, selfishness and the cult of the individual. Fuck everyone else I've got the right to do what I want, when I want etc. I guess that's why no one's interested mostly in questioning it too closely less their "way of life" is under threat.

In a wider context, there are too many aspects that actually need apolitical agreement, cooperation and solutions. That should be enshrined so that politics will never be allowed near them - infrastructure, manufacturing, health, police, education and on and on and on.

Fuck your tax cuts. We can't afford them.

It's sad to see this level of extreme right ideology so prominent, and stealing our country at the same time.

And who can be bothered countering those who aren't willing to listen. Maybe I fall into that as well.

Starlink satellites should be an internet option if it's too isolated for other providers Sup, bit more pricey though apparently.

Kia ora sup42, hope things become easier for you mate. A warriors premiership could be just the tonic :)

Tried to keep things factual and provide links and information that can be verified with actual fact as much as possible, and where not possible provide the evidence otherwise.

And the context is so often missing in all of this. Like - we've existed in a neolib framework for 40+ years in this country, and more around the world, that is focussed solely on entrenchment of power and wealth extraction, you see it in the remnants of mainstream media, in elections where left leaning mps are isolated and destroyed, particularly if you're not white, not male, in the ownership of media organisations.

It's astounding to me at least that when someone asks why things are underfunded, they're not interested in the fact that ideologically neoliberalism demands that underfunding - demands that democracy must be broken down, that government must get out the way, that indigenous people must be silenced so their extraction of resources and wealth can continue unimpeded. That the myth "private good public bad" allows them to privatise all of our resources, that were never for sale in the first place.

And it's complete bullshit that the government can't run things as good as private industry. Simple - corporations run like businesses with a responsibility to the community and environment, owned by all New Zealand. Kiwibank, tvnz are good examples.

It's the ideology of greed, selfishness and the cult of the individual. Fuck everyone else I've got the right to do what I want, when I want etc. I guess that's why no one's interested mostly in questioning it too closely less their "way of life" is under threat.

In a wider context, there are too many aspects that actually need apolitical agreement, cooperation and solutions. That should be enshrined so that politics will never be allowed near them - infrastructure, manufacturing, health, police, education and on and on and on.

It's sad to see this level of extreme right ideology so prominent, and stealing our country at the same time.

And who can be bothered countering those who aren't willing to listen. Maybe I fall into that as well.
Mate, I'm getting concerned now as to your mental state. That post was every which way loose. Thank god it's only your opinion.

Not sure the colour of your eyes but are they Green?

Mme too mate.
The inordinate amount of posts on here are an echo chamber of the current govt.
There's an old saying about crowing too early. Looking forward to the next couple of years to see what happens.
Focusing on grassroots...already proving the point. But hey, hard for anyone that they got it wrong. Will be still arguing they didn't 🤣

Extrapolate this out and late this year we’re looking like being back under 3% inflation?

Yet the reserve banks looking at pushing harder? Why?

140D491D-75DE-41AA-8E12-24197AD2B7CA.jpeg

Teachers
Firefighters
Paramedics
Mental health people
Nurses
Doctors
Police officers
Council inspectors
Shops
Prison staff
Restaurants
Cafes
Fruit pickers
Road workers
Tradesmen
Retail staff
Lifeguards
Etc, etc

Maybe Little Old New Zealand needs to get real and acknowledge we're Little. Some things we never were, aren't and never will be. So let's stop wasting time and money trying. Heart transplants in every semi-major town, airports everywhere etc. Nope. Not the way to go.
It's like CHT trying to be AFB. He can try and try and huff and puff as much as he likes but it ain't happening. In the meantime, because he was wasting time trying to be AFB, he's not the CHT he should be.
Or maybe it's more accurate to call New Zealand the defensive centre in the World Rugby League team? New Zealand's Solid, Does that job well but that's all and they suck in any other position.
While I'm being a cynical old sod, did we really used to be egalitarian, or have we just become more honest about the fact that we're not and never have been? I don't regard social welfare as a sign of an egalitarian society. If you're being legally required to give money to those less well off, that doesn't sound egalitarian. It's not charity, as that's voluntary...

Last edited:
Back