3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
Curious to know what he’s lacking not to be Captain.
I thought the leadership group back in the day thought he was to soft (Hence the Princess tag) to be captain?
I know there was talk of him distancing himself from the team when he ate, extra training by himself etc....Came across as arrogant? Something like that.

He's grown as a player & person since then. I'd definitely have him as a captain. He leads the way on the feild.

Without going into all the points but does he even want to be captain?

Secretly I am almost sure he would be honoured to captain but not about to openly say it. On the field he is the general and involved in the decision making to challenge and chatting away in the huddle… probably doesn’t have a close enough relationship with AW.. #2 Captain is Egan

Didn’t the story go that when he first came into the side he tried to take a bit of ownership but there was push back because the senior playing group at the time liked the status quo or something like that.
He did captain the nines side but at this stage of his career I dont think he’d care- tohu is an awesome captain anyway.
Would be a nice touch if he did do it at least once I suppose- he’s certainly earned it if he does.

Wifey thinks it’s his Laos status when leadership group was acting meh back in the day 🤷‍♂️ As an Asian I can relate to him eating by himself lol

Wifey thinks it’s his Laos status when leadership group was acting meh back in the day 🤷‍♂️ As an Asian I can relate to him eating by himself lol
I worked with a Chinese bloke in a cabinet making factory. I was bottom of the ladder labourer and he was cleaning guy. We would sit together to eat not because of race but because we were lower on the hierarchical scale.

Chinese bloke was a great guy too

The rumoured reason why Shaun is not captain or even part of the leadership group is that 5 or 6 years ago he would tell people off for errors.

The rumoured reason why Shaun is not captain or even part of the leadership group is that 5 or 6 years ago he would tell people off for errors.
He looked to be doing that to AFB when Addin couldn't get the ball away to SJ who in my opinion was out of position.

I don't mind telling each other off for errors if it helps. I reckon it's better than high fives for errors which I see a lot and dislike a lot.

SJ is not best captain in my opinion but and while this may be off topic I reckon make AFB captain. I think he would go nuclear as captain.

He looked to be doing that to AFB when Addin couldn't get the ball away to SJ who in my opinion was out of position.

I don't mind telling each other off for errors if it helps. I reckon it's better than high fives for errors which I see a lot and dislike a lot.

SJ is not best captain in my opinion but and while this may be off topic I reckon make AFB captain. I think he would go nuclear as captain.
I saw SJ verbals to Ford in game one after Ford's third screw up of the evening. Ford went red in the face from the telling off and just took it and ran back into the defensive line.

Who said he is not part of the leadership group? Especially as they haven't got a 'leadership group'?

Who said he is not part of the leadership group? Especially as they haven't got a 'leadership group'?

Good point.

However In 2018 under SK there was a leadership group. Pretty sure he was excluded. Can't recall if Nathan Brown had one, by memory I think he did,

Didn’t the story go that when he first came into the side he tried to take a bit of ownership but there was push back because the senior playing group at the time liked the status quo or something like that.
He did captain the nines side but at this stage of his career I dont think he’d care- tohu is an awesome captain anyway.
Would be a nice touch if he did do it at least once I suppose- he’s certainly earned it if he does.
I think it was around the Matt Elliot period where he tried to take more on and raise standards. Got pushback from a group (not sure wether it was senior players or the energy drink mob) who didnt want to get out of their comfort zone and probably knocked those asperations out of him.......i remember a latter interview from Matt Elliott saying he wished he had backed him more.

Doesnt need the extra responsibility (altho ive no doubt he'd handle it ok) He's a leader in whatever he does now. I remember he did captain Cronulla for a match (won if i remember rightly). 1 from 1 record......retire with a winning record lol

Good point.

However In 2018 under SK there was a leadership group. Pretty sure he was excluded. Can't recall if Nathan Brown had one, by memory I think he did,

I asked the question on here a few years back as I thought that captaincy would have elevated Shaun's game and taken him to the next level.
But a few people in here were like nah it was far too much excessive stress on him as he may have been asked.
Anyway the way he played last year and this year it's super clear he doesn't need that.
Tohus the man.

I think it was around the Matt Elliot period where he tried to take more on and raise standards. Got pushback from a group (not sure wether it was senior players or the energy drink mob) who didnt want to get out of their comfort zone and probably knocked those asperations out of him.......i remember a latter interview from Matt Elliott saying he wished he had backed him more.

Doesnt need the extra responsibility (altho ive no doubt he'd handle it ok) He's a leader in whatever he does now. I remember he did captain Cronulla for a match (won if i remember rightly). 1 from 1 record......retire with a winning record lol
Shaun without the title of captain is really kind of the captain anyway. Whenever there is a players huddle it is Shaun issuing instructions to the whole team of when he wants the ball and what he wants from the forwards in the next ten minutes. After webster speaks at half time often Shaun gathers them in a players huddle. He was "in charge" at the sharks too based on locker room footage and in game footage. He has the most footy IQ in the room of players and as senior half he knows and they know he calls the plays. Tohu is captain but Shaun is the Chief or Tino rangatiratanga if I have my Te Reo right.
His Mana is higher even than Rogers.
Metcalf said in an interview he is in awe of Shaun after watching him growing up and just listens and does whatever Shaun tells him.

Yeah there was rumours that SJ rubbed a few of the senior slackers the wrong way early on in his career by trying to raise the standards and copped a bit of backlash.
I remember he was due to be captain for a game before he went to Cronulla but got injured before the game and it never happened again.
Also a lot of talk about not burdening him more responsiblity when he needed to focus on aspects of his own game and already had the goal kicking and pretty much the public pressure of carrying the team for a while.
He’s more mature and senior now and could likely handle it but Tohu is doing a fine job and SJ pretty much talks to the ref anyways