Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was living overseas in 2008 during the GFC and it dominated the news EVERYWHERE. End of the word stuff.

I came home to NZ in the middle of it during the lead up to the 2008 election. I was shocked that the GFC was a somewhat insignificant thing in NZ and there were many bigger issues in politics. It was hardly campaigned on yet it took almost a decade of budget deficits and low investment in infrastructure to get over it.

Fast forward to 2023 and these comments from Ruth Richardson: “Richardson, believed "the inconvenient truths" weren't being discussed enough.”

"We have Government spending up by 50 percent, our debt has doubled, we are in real fiscal shtook, growth has tanked and what this means is that inflation and interest rates are going to be higher for longer," she said.

"That's what we should be talking about. I mean, debt and deficits are bad enough, but denial is even worse."

Richardson said more "financial prudence" was needed. "Fiddling won't cut it - fundamental reform is required."

She said politicians needed to "get real" about New Zealand's priorities.

History repeating. I hope sound economic managers get in but it will be by luck again rather than the public of NZ actually getting the biggest issue affecting of our mid term future prioritised during the election campaign.

I was living overseas in 2008 during the GFC and it dominated the news EVERYWHERE. End of the word stuff.

I came home to NZ in the middle of it during the lead up to the 2008 election. I was shocked that the GFC was a somewhat insignificant thing in NZ and there were many bigger issues in politics. It was hardly campaigned on yet it took almost a decade of budget deficits and low investment in infrastructure to get over it.

Fast forward to 2023 and these comments from Ruth Richardson: “Richardson, believed "the inconvenient truths" weren't being discussed enough.”

"We have Government spending up by 50 percent, our debt has doubled, we are in real fiscal shtook, growth has tanked and what this means is that inflation and interest rates are going to be higher for longer," she said.

"That's what we should be talking about. I mean, debt and deficits are bad enough, but denial is even worse."

Richardson said more "financial prudence" was needed. "Fiddling won't cut it - fundamental reform is required."

She said politicians needed to "get real" about New Zealand's priorities.

History repeating. I hope sound economic managers get in but it will be by luck again rather than the public of NZ actually getting the biggest issue affecting of our mid term future prioritised during the election campaign.
Imo I would rather the dinosaurs from the past kept out of the media.
Clarke Keys and now Richardson.
Lazy journalists

We've been making the same mistakes for 50 years and longer.
Our investment in infrastructure is shocking 😐
Politicians without foresight
Agree. Yet we are going down the same path of falling growth and productivity meaning we’re spending beyond our means (rising deficits and debt).

Our solution again is papering over the cracks with mass immigration with no hope in hell to provide the infrastructure to support it. It will inevitably lead to less hospitals and school services per person - unsustainable growth.

The solution is to address the fundamental vision for NZ - around real sustainable growth to get us out of the hole were in.

And building infrastructure is not going to make the books look good 😕
General populous are very short sited and it's always self serving, it's why as a country we don't really move forward.

Better education means a smarter population which leads to better health outcomes and better everything in general. Better education means more likelihood of people coming out of poverty too.

Just voted today (voting site was open just a short walk from my house, had to offset the post gig laziness and 3am McNuggets 😅), two ticks TOP.

F*ck the main parties and politicians, I have become cynical in my old age, and have no faith in the status quo (on both sides of the political spectrum).

Wasting my vote on minor parties that aren't insufferable kients for the foreseeable future, hell they may even get in one day hah!

#yaypolitics

Advance voting is roughly half what it was at this same stage for the 2020 election.
Pointing towards a really low turnout for this election.
I wonder if there's still a lot of undecided voters or if it's people who know that this government's time is approaching it's end and it's time for a change.... but they just can't bear the idea of voting against Labour.

Something else may have been a factor in 2020. Auckland had only just moved down to level one for the COVID restrictions when early voting started. A number of people may have seen early voting as a way to avoid crowds on Election Day. Who knows but this year may be "more typical" of the early voting patterns in years to come than the last election.

I wonder if there's still a lot of undecided voters or if it's people who know that this government's time is approaching it's end and it's time for a change.... but they just can't bear the idea of voting against Labour.

Something else may have been a factor in 2020. Auckland had only just moved down to level one for the COVID restrictions when early voting started. A number of people may have seen early voting as a way to avoid crowds on Election Day.
I think that people are sick of all the bullshit from all parties.
Too many parties and way too many political candidates.
Racism has alienated many people also.

Racism has alienated many people also.
It's not just because of racism but I hate the direction this election has headed with allegations of home invasions, people being threatened with assault, candidates' families threatened and then some guy scaring supporters by driving at them.

TBH, all the talk by NZF and ACT against co-governance and Māori DNA is just adding fuel to the fire. Add to that the distorted version of "christian love" by Tamaki and I can't remember an election this nasty since the one of the Springbok Tour days.

Too many parties and way too many unworthy political candidates.
Fixed that for you.... the caliber of candidates is pathetic.

We've only got four standing in our electorate (Takanini) and one of those is from the Animal Justice Party. Given that the others are Labour (current MP), National and ACT, the AJP candidate may get a large "protest" vote from those not wanting to vote for the others.

Fixed that for you.... the caliber of candidates is pathetic.

We've only got four standing in our electorate (Takanini) and one of those is from the Animal Justice Party. Given that the others are Labour (current MP), National and ACT, the AJP candidate may get a large "protest" vote from those not wanting to vote for the others.
Our national candidate is Sam Uffindell.
He was in a local restaurant when I was there last week.
I was hoping to have a quick chat with him but he just strutted around the restaurant talking on his phone.

Our national candidate is Sam Uffindell.
He was in a local restaurant when I was there last week.
I was hoping to have a quick chat with him but he just strutted around the restaurant talking on his phone.
So far, we've had some ACT party members knock on our door..... nothing from National or Labour.

Anae Neru Leavasa won with 53% of the votes last time with a majority of over 7,700 but it's being picked as one of the electorates which may turn to National this time. Considering he's down at #38 on the Labour list (and the polls are picking that Labour will only have 34 MP's), Leavasa may not even make it back to Parliment.

Port Waikato will have to have a by-election after the general election after the death of ACT candidate Neil Christensen. Voters in Port Waikato will still be able to provide a party vote but not vote of an MP. This means that there will be 121 MP's and not the usual 120 MP's.

Back