Current Club
New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Status
Active
WARRIORS STAR RELISHING ADDED FREEDOM IN JOHNSON’S ABSENCE

The Wahs are back.

Over the past month, Andrew Webster’s men have arguably been the hottest team in the NRL, stringing together three wins on the bounce.

Those came against the Panthers, the Dolphins (who were in the top four at the time) and most recently, the Cowboys up in Townsville.

What’s been the most impressive part of those three wins though, has been the fact they’ve done it without star halfback Shaun Johnson.

The injured Johnson was the Warriors’ best player during their golden run last year.

He’s battled with injuries this season as the Warriors dropped as low as 14th on the ladder in 2024 and struggled to regain the magic which saw them become the feel-good story in 2023.

Te Maire Martin, who played 12 games at five-eighth last season including all three final games, has been tasked with wearing the No. 7 jersey in Johnson’s absence, and while his form was patchy over the first couple of months of the season, he’s really relished the new role.

He was outstanding against the Cowboys, setting up four tries.

Over the last three games, he has posted a whopping nine try assists, which leads the competition in that span.

Webster said that Martin has been clinical since deputising at halfback for Johnson.

“Yeah he was awesome. I thought Te Marie’s played a good three games now. And he’s been clinical,” Webster said.

“He’s been so important for us and has been the glue. So happy for him.”

Webster said the key has been giving Martin a bit more freedom but said his role will likely have to change when Johnson returns.

“He’s been awesome. We’ve released him and let him play a bit,” Webster said.

“Te Maire’s been the main focus there. Charnze (Nicoll-Klokstad) at five-eighth one week. Chanel’s (Harris-Tavita) come back from injury and done a great job.

“We can adapt our style from the individual and adapt our style. And when Shaun comes back we can adapt that again.”

Considering the form the Warriors are in, the fact a fully healthy Johnson is still to return should be a scary proposition for the rest of the competition.

882695_640x360_large_20240608203516.jpg

Great summation.Hopefully his potential return to 6 doesnt come back to bite us.
But YES he has been awesome at 7.

WARRIORS STAR RELISHING ADDED FREEDOM IN JOHNSON’S ABSENCE

The Wahs are back.

Over the past month, Andrew Webster’s men have arguably been the hottest team in the NRL, stringing together three wins on the bounce.

Those came against the Panthers, the Dolphins (who were in the top four at the time) and most recently, the Cowboys up in Townsville.

What’s been the most impressive part of those three wins though, has been the fact they’ve done it without star halfback Shaun Johnson.

The injured Johnson was the Warriors’ best player during their golden run last year.

He’s battled with injuries this season as the Warriors dropped as low as 14th on the ladder in 2024 and struggled to regain the magic which saw them become the feel-good story in 2023.

Te Maire Martin, who played 12 games at five-eighth last season including all three final games, has been tasked with wearing the No. 7 jersey in Johnson’s absence, and while his form was patchy over the first couple of months of the season, he’s really relished the new role.

He was outstanding against the Cowboys, setting up four tries.

Over the last three games, he has posted a whopping nine try assists, which leads the competition in that span.

Webster said that Martin has been clinical since deputising at halfback for Johnson.

“Yeah he was awesome. I thought Te Marie’s played a good three games now. And he’s been clinical,” Webster said.

“He’s been so important for us and has been the glue. So happy for him.”

Webster said the key has been giving Martin a bit more freedom but said his role will likely have to change when Johnson returns.

“He’s been awesome. We’ve released him and let him play a bit,” Webster said.

“Te Maire’s been the main focus there. Charnze (Nicoll-Klokstad) at five-eighth one week. Chanel’s (Harris-Tavita) come back from injury and done a great job.

“We can adapt our style from the individual and adapt our style. And when Shaun comes back we can adapt that again.”

Considering the form the Warriors are in, the fact a fully healthy Johnson is still to return should be a scary proposition for the rest of the competition.

882695_640x360_large_20240608203516.jpg

I read Webby's statement as SJ and Webby's own plan has to make most of the adaption, instead of the article's TMM having to change in a negative tone

SJ and TMM actually work very well together and have done so in a number of games - fact. Some people seem to forget that and just look at the 4 game run with the team broken and injured and seem to want to make 1+1=5 while conveniently missing games like the Souths one this year.

TMM has gone very well at 7. Not only because he is a seriously talented footballer, but because we also made changes to having fit players selected, simplified our game plan, better bench make up and use of it etc.

He will go well at 6 when SJ is back but obviously with less input than he has now. It will be up to AW to ensure that the team performance is where it needs to be regardless of who is contributing more and if it's not, then adjustments will be made.

I'm expecting SJ when he is back to be the lead playmaker. The talk of TMM not being able to play 6 is about as nonsensical as him not being up to first grade standard.

The real reason that TMM is playing so well is that our shape has changed.
All the teams had worked out out structure which worked really well last year but this year we were getting shut down with the defensive quick line speed.
Watch where TMM stands, very deep behind Egan and one dummy runner to his right and then two more dummy runners further out. Very confusing for the defence (and sometimes will draw a penalty) but working well for us and the benefit while Walker was playing at 6 really had the opposition guessing at which way the ball would go.
I saw a good reel that highlighted this but can't bloody find it now. Showed our diamond shape around the play the ball close to the line with TMM in behind the ruck (much like a 10 often does from scrums in union before attacking one side). Opens up the options and makes it harder for the opposition to know what's happening.

i dont think i want them both on the same side.
I prefer one on either side each time, and then switching sides just to mess up opposition defence patterns.

If both on the same side, theres less variety and both SJ and TMM cant punch the line as hard as a running forward next to each of them on either side.

The last 3 games will have given TMM a huge amount of confidence to know that hes not supporting SJ - but partnering him as an equal.

I saw a good reel that highlighted this but can't bloody find it now. Showed our diamond shape around the play the ball close to the line with TMM in behind the ruck (much like a 10 often does from scrums in union before attacking one side). Opens up the options and makes it harder for the opposition to know what's happening.

Matty Jones Podcast with Cooper?

i dont think i want them both on the same side.
I prefer one on either side each time, and then switching sides just to mess up opposition defence patterns.

If both on the same side, theres less variety and both SJ and TMM cant punch the line as hard as a running forward next to each of them on either side.

The last 3 games will have given TMM a huge amount of confidence to know that hes not supporting SJ - but partnering him as an equal.

They can do everything to confuse the D, swap sides, both on the same side and the ball goes to Walker and Charnz on the other, swap jerseys at halftime 🤣

Johns mentioned him on his Late Show. Let's hope he discusses him on his Matty Johns Podcast with Cronk.

That show was enjoyable last when they kept highlighting all of the good things the Warriors were doing.

That's the one. Thanks man. Wah's Up Wah's Up is this your work? Certainly highlights the difference in our play in the opposition 20 lately. If SJ is injury free and plays similar then he should absolutely kill it. Does still leave our 6 with less influence but if they can replicate the way TMM and CHT have worked together it appears a bit more 60/40 rather than 80/20 in general play and also others in the team appear to be contributing more.

Last edited:
You should put that quote on your profile or make a hashtag or something, I swear I've seen the same quote about 5x in the last 24 hours lol

The other one was Dallin at fullback (from another poster)
You should put that quote on your profile or make a hashtag or something, I swear I've seen the same quote about 5x in the last 24 hours lol

The other one was Dallin at fullback (from another poster)
Why. First time I have seen the clip.

Reactions: CWC
I will stick with my comments. Why??
Because it's absolutely true.
Moved into 7 and has improved out of sight.
PFO

I'm all for free speech and you can keep repeating the same comments

I'm just pointing out the fact that I have read the same statement 5x from you in the last day, I checked and searched "TMM 7" and it showed at least 4x in the last 24 hours, I haven't searched TMM 6 yet 🤣

We get it, TMM sucks at 6, great at 7. You can keep repeating because everyone's free to say what they want, I'm just playing around here, all fun and games (y)

I'm all for free speech and you can keep repeating the same comments

I'm just pointing out the fact that I have read the same statement 5x from you in the last day, I checked and searched "TMM 7" and it showed at least 4x in the last 24 hours, I haven't searched TMM 6 yet 🤣

We get it, TMM sucks at 6, great at 7. You can keep repeating because everyone's free to say what they want, I'm just playing around here, all fun and games (y)

Thanks mate 👍
Appreciate your permission. 😉