Signed From
Brisbane Broncos
Current Club
New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Status
Active
I know you are an SJ disciple. One of the group that followed the Sharks because SJ went there.

But I think the laying the blame at TMMs feet for the lefts failure just got served by two games in a row of TMM not being hampered by Johnsons presence.

One game is a one off.

Two games is a pattern.

It seems obvious to me that TMM is an excellent half that thrives when given situational access to good ball.

He was an excellent attacking fullback for the Broncos, and when he first hit NRL he was one of the NZ talented spine players before the head injuries.

This season Webster brought Roger back to give our left side some attacking impetus.

That side has been ball starved next to Johnson, there has been little to no set up early ball to let that edge attack before their markers number up and strangle them. There has been no platform to show what TMM has to offer (these last two games he has proved he has a lot more to offer with good front foot ball than people have realised).

For mine, if TMM disappears again it is on Johnson. Johnson is the most fed player in the NRL on last tackle plays which is why he is breaking records as a receiver and kicker, Johnson needs to work that out and realise his over feed is the problem with this Warriors team.

The game plan might well be to go to SJ on the last primarily, but surely if he is what we need out there he just watched TMM carve up for a fortnight against two top four sides and is smart enough to work out that he needs to find a way to fortify those gains.

The worst thing about our left edge with SJ in the middle is that when they get the ball it is a shovel on, a default play after the right fails. Roger dances in circles and kills off any chance of structured attacking plays from that side because he often does not have the numbering to flank the opposition defence and set up his winger....all because his service is an after thought shovel and hope.

Come on man, wake up, use the left arm for a change Shaun, and use it early in the fashion that TMM has just proved he is a first receiver fast strike player, rather than an invisible man.
I still maintain it was a game plan thing from Webster, because going to Shaun worked all of last season.
Webster has picked up it isn't working the same this season and split the load between playmakers, I expect it continues when Shaun returns but perhaps a 70 / 30 split rather than 90 / 10 split like it has been with Shaun there.

I still maintain it was a game plan thing from Webster, because going to Shaun worked all of last season.
Webster has picked up it isn't working the same this season and split the load between playmakers, I expect it continues when Shaun returns but perhaps a 70 / 30 split rather than 90 / 10 split like it has been with Shaun there.
The problem with finding excuses for Johnson in the likes of the game plan is that under TMM this is the first time ever where the Warriors lose Johnson and play better.
100% of the time in the past SJ has had ready made excuses for his limitations because the Warriors barely win a single game without him....so he has lived above criticism his entire career and has a following chasing after him with a fist full of excuses.

The reality of 2024 is that the Warriors are better with TMM leading them than SJ.

That is fact. Our eyes up football style under TMM beat the Panthers and Dolphins on the trott out of a form slump.

As I said about the game plan, Webster tried to make the left an attacking option by recruiting RTS at left center. He tried to improve our left edge attack by stating in the media that the plan was to improve our left.

Under Johnson, that has not happened despite what Webster has done by putting Roger on that side, Roger is a marquee player, probably the best fullback at the Warriors. Yet to fix our left he was forced out of position, such is the weighting Webster placed on a left side in the new game plan.

I dunno why I am even bothering arguing when this argument is already won. Just read the game day threads for every game SJ has played this year and on how his contribution has been read by the opposition and is the reason we are getting killed out there.

All that while as soon as we were well rid of him we started winning our season.

Hello.

I want Johnson back.

But if Johnson comes back and kills TMMs game then at least admit he is killing this team with his choice not to trust his halves partner, the partner that has run the team better than him in any game Johnson has played this year FACT.

Last edited:
The problem with finding excuses for Johnson in the likes of the game plan is that under TMM this is the first time ever where the Warriors lose Johnson and play better.
100% of the time in the past SJ has had ready made excuses for his limitations because the Warriors barely win a single game without him....so he has lived above criticism his entire career and has a following chasing after him with a fist full of excuses.

The reality of 2024 is that the Warriors are better with TMM leading them than SJ.

That is fact. Our eyes up football style under TMM beat the Panthers and Dolphins on the trott out of a form slump.

As I said about the game plan, Webster tried to make the left an attacking option by recruiting RTS at left center. He tried to improve our left edge attack by stating in the media that the plan was to improve our left.

Under Johnson, that has not happened despite what Webster has done by putting Roger on that side, Roger is a marquee player, forced out of position, such is the weighting Webster placed on a left side in the new game plan.

I dunno why I am even bothering arguing when this argument is already won. Just read the game day threads for every game SJ has played this year and on how his contribution has been read by the opposition and is the reason we are getting killed out there.

All that while as soon as we were well rid of him we started winning our season.

Hello.
I am not finding excuses for Johnson, he is easily our best organising half in the squad.
Just because we got two very good results without him does not mean that has changed. Unbelievable that a whole season of being the best half in the competition is suddenly forgotten due to two results.

Was Shaun part of the problem, definitely. Was he the only problem? No. There were many facets to it, game plan, injuries, broken forwards. Pinning it all on SJ is just like saying we won two games because Lussick was back and lost 4 in a row because he was suspended. It just doesn't tell the whole story.

I am not finding excuses for Johnson, he is easily our best organising half in the squad.
Just because we got two very good results without him does not mean that has changed. Unbelievable that a whole season of being the best half in the competition is suddenly forgotten due to two results.

Was Shaun part of the problem, definitely. Was he the only problem? No. There were many facets to it, game plan, injuries, broken forwards. Pinning it all on SJ is just like saying we won two games because Lussick was back and lost 4 in a row because he was suspended. It just doesn't tell the whole story.
The only truth I am interested in pinning on Johnson is that he has been killing Te Maire Martin out there.

And that is the truth Í want him held to account for when he returns.

Lets just admit the variable that proves the problem is if TMM suffers with Johnsons return....coz as first receiver that is on Johnson and Te Maire Martin is in rare career form right now so...fucken obvious what is going on here...watch and lets see, we have just had a sample without Johnson and we are about to go back to Johnson ball, simple really the same way all other NRL players are judged (results).

Last edited:
I know you are an SJ disciple. One of the group that followed the Sharks because SJ went there.

But I think the laying the blame at TMMs feet for the lefts failure just got served by two games in a row of TMM not being hampered by Johnsons presence.

One game is a one off.

Two games is a pattern.

It seems obvious to me that TMM is an excellent half that thrives when given situational access to good ball.

He was an excellent attacking fullback for the Broncos, and when he first hit NRL he was one of the NZ talented spine players before the head injuries.

This season Webster brought Roger back to give our left side some attacking impetus.

That side has been ball starved next to Johnson, there has been little to no set up early ball to let that edge attack before their markers number up and strangle them. There has been no platform to show what TMM has to offer (these last two games he has proved he has a lot more to offer with good front foot ball than people have realised).

For mine, if TMM disappears again it is on Johnson. Johnson is the most fed player in the NRL on last tackle plays which is why he is breaking records as a receiver and kicker, Johnson needs to work that out and realise his over feed is the problem with this Warriors team.

The game plan might well be to go to SJ on the last primarily, but surely if he is what we need out there he just watched TMM carve up for a fortnight against two top four sides and is smart enough to work out that he needs to find a way to fortify those gains.

The worst thing about our left edge with SJ in the middle is that when they get the ball it is a shovel on, a default play after the right fails. Roger dances in circles and kills off any chance of structured attacking plays from that side because he often does not have the numbering to flank the opposition defence and set up his winger....all because his service is an after thought shovel and hope.

Come on man, wake up, use the left arm for a change Shaun, and use it early in the fashion that TMM has just proved he is a first receiver fast strike player, rather than an invisible man.
love it!
can’t wait to see SJ get the right side firing again like it was last year, and TMM on the left doing the same.

they boys will be fucking unstoppable.

Hmm werent you the one a few weeks back absolutely spraying SJ for getting caught on the 4th tackle a couple of times in the game against the Titans taking himself out of the last play option? Apparently its what cost us the game.....might have been a chance for the other playmaker to step up then no?

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3]sup42

Horrible.

Shaun needs to own this game.

We had no rudder there.

Shauns fault. He has one job, and it aint dying with the ball on the last two sets in a row.

Tbh bro while i generally respect your opinion and the good points you make i just find your views either overly entrenched, or contradictory to suit whatever bandwagon your on at the time (Laban, Walsh, SJ last year), or overly emotive (we're all either dumb khunts, suck arses or sheep) to constructively debate with, hence why i dont reply to the flood of (paraphrasing here)"SJs to blame" "Laban the next generational talent" type posts.......so ill just "like' the ones i agree with......which their are many.

As far as the lefts "failure": is concerned i dont put all that on Te Maire at all, like everything its never just "one" thing and all must take responsibilty......including SJ and how he connects with Te Maire.....but moreso its evdent we werent running the same structures that side (no multiple lead runners, Charnze very rarely sweeps that side, Capewell or whichever 2nd rower running that edge inability to shorten the defensive line)......and to this which even yours (and mine) beloved Webster must take responsibilty. Tbh i think your the one who lacks perspective as your so entrenched in your SJ view that you wont acknowledge all these other factors because it doesnt suit your marrative of the number 1 target.

And im not that entrenched as an SJ fan to realize a lack of variation was obviously evident, i was probably calling for it before it became the en vogue thing to do, (hate quoting my own posts, so tacky)

Boats n Hoes

We needed to shelve the block plays 2nite. Block plays in those conditions are always fucking hard cause you cant get the crispness or timing, of passing or catching..... just end up going sideways which is easy D.

Boats n Hoes

I really hope that we see a much more balanced attack when SJ is back. Both halfs touching the ball a lot more, with us using our whole team rather than just the one side. No more SJ monopoly.
More variation needed was obviously evident during that bad patch.

Wether through SJ monopolizing or TMM content taking a backseat (probably a bit of both) hopefully now TMM has the confidence to impose himself on a game, and the rest of the team has the confidence when he calls for the ball (actually no demand the ball).....give it to him.

As fas as TMM taking more ownership as an alternate playmaker ive played enough League as a halfback to know you need to own it, and as i alluded to in the post you quoted the signs were there he was content to take a backseat......Te Maire himself has even come out and said as much, Coach Webster has said the same thing.....and we 100% need him to even with SJ back to get that defence looking the other way.

Tbh tho as much as the attack has been the focus of the last 2 weeks i think whats criminally been overlooked (and surprisingly so for a self acclaimed "tactics sage") and for mine the main factors in our improvement the last couple of weeks is that since we went on that losing streak the last 2 games either our error rate or penalties conceded has been less than the opposition and we've our highest tackle efficiency rate. This means we've been able to sustain pressure on attack because we havent been handing over the ball or yielding field position through piggyback penalties, plus we're just defending a helluva lot better.

I guarentee you these are the KPIs and factors Websters been referring to in his press conferences in the "we were happy we were able to achieve the things we wanted to" because without these basics it doesnt matter who u throw out there your not a chance. I can also guarentee4 u these things are overlooked cause for their not "sexy" enough.....you and i should know better tho right?

I also acknowledge that during that losing period the whole team just appeared flat and the young ones coming through certainly added much needed spark. Was down to a lot of guys playing busted (whcih im not a fan of) plus some pretty questionable Bench tactics which only Webby can take responsibilty for.

As a Warriors fan im stoked Te Maires stepped up (cause god knows we need him to) but if your objective enough their are still limitations in his game and if it turns out the variations of play arent evident when SJ and the senior players get back, and if the root cause is SJ then so be it the change should be made accordingly. Even tho im a unabashed SJ fan im a Warriors fan first and foremost......however can u say the same if SJ comes back and kills it?, as ive noticed in the past your pretty quick to try change the narrative when it doesnt back up your rants. Also i cant help but disagree how Te Maire and the left goes is soley on SJ....thats ridiculous.....without doubt those 2 need to connect better, but also without doubt hopefully Te Maires new found confidence means he doesnt take a backseat, that when they have gone right, he's organising his edge getting ready to pull the trigger,,,,,and then Demanding the ball.

Also u say being an SJ fan like its a bad thing lol. Why shouldnt we be.......has genuine love for the club., knocked back 2 offers now to stay with the cllub he loves on unders, has never been in an ounce of trouble off the park over a long career (which goes a long way in my book), unlike the plethora of other dickheads, a great inspiration and example to the younger players, and a significant reason why League in this country is on the upturn. If loss of form or injury takes him so be it, the end is nigh as they say......but either way, he's a champion,

Like i said bro no offence, u generally have some really insightful observations and no doubt you'll have a clever reply instore, but ill probably leave this here as i dont do tit for tat. Have a good night. Uo the Wahs!

Last edited:
Hmm werent you the one a few weeks back absolutely spraying SJ for getting caught on the 4th tackle a couple of times in the game against the Titans taking himself out of the last play option? Apparently its what cost us the game.....might have been a chance for the other playmaker to step up then no?

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3]sup42

Horrible.

We had no rudder there.

Shauns fault. He has one job, and it aint dying with the ball on the last two sets in a row.

Tbh bro while i generally respect your opinion and the good points you make i just find your views either overly entrenched, or contradictory to suit whatever bandwagon your on at the time (Laban, Walsh, SJ last year), or overly emotive (we're all either dumb khunts, suck arses or sheep) to constructively debate with, hence why i dont reply to the flood of (paraphrasing here)"SJs to blame" "Laban the next generational talent" type posts.......so ill just "like' the ones i agree with......which their are many.

As far as the lefts "failure": is concerned i dont put all that on Te Maire at all, like everything its never just "one" thing and all must take responsibilty......including SJ and how he connects with Te Maire.....but moreso its evdent we werent running the same structures that side (no multiple lead runners, Charnze very rarely sweeps that side, Capewell or whichever 2nd rower running that edge inability to shorten the defensive line)......and to this which even yours (and mine) beloved Webster must take responsibilty. Tbh i think your the one who lacks perspective as your so entrenched in your SJ view that you wont acknowledge all these other factors because it doesnt suit your marrative of the number 1 target.

And im not that entrenched as an SJ fan to realize a lack of variation was obviously evident, i was probably calling for it before it became the en vogue thing to do, (hate quoting my own posts, so tacky)

Boats n Hoes

We needed to shelve the block plays 2nite. Block plays in those conditions are always fucking hard cause you cant get the crispness or timing, of passing or catching..... just end up going sideways which is easy D.

Boats n Hoes

Wether through SJ monopolizing or TMM content taking a backseat (probably a bit of both) hopefully now TMM has the confidence to impose himself on a game, and the rest of the team has the confidence when he calls for the ball (actually no demand the ball).....give it to him.

As fas as TMM taking more ownership as an alternate playmaker ive played enough League as a halfback to know you need to own it, and as i alluded to in the post you quoted the signs were there he was content to take a backseat......Te Maire himself has even come out and said as much, Coach Webster has said the same thing.....and we 100% need him to even with SJ back to get that defence looking the other way.

Tbh tho as much as the attack has been the focus of the last 2 weeks i think whats criminally been overlooked (and surprisingly so for a self acclaimed "tactics sage") and for mine the main factors in our improvement the last couple of weeks is that since we went on that losing streak the last 2 games either our error rate or penalties conceded has been less than the opposition and we've our highest tackle efficiency rate. This means we've been able to sustain pressure on attack because we havent been handing over the ball or yielding field position through piggyback penalties, plus we're just defending a helluva lot better.

I guarentee you these are the KPIs and factors Websters been referring to in his press conferences in the "we were happy we were able to achieve the things we wanted to" because without these basics it doesnt matter who u throw out there your not a chance.

I also acknowledge that during that losing period the whole team just appeared flat and the young ones coming through certainly added much needed spark. Was down to a lot of guys playing busted (whcih im not a fan of) plus some pretty questionable Bench tactics which only Webby can take responsibilty for.

As a Warriors fan im stoked Te Maires stepped up (cause god knows we need him to) but if your objective enough their are still limitations in his game and if it turns out the variations of play arent evident when SJ and the senior players get back, and if the root cause is SJ then so be it the change should be made accordingly. Even tho im a unabashed SJ fan im a Warriors fan first and foremost......however can u say the same if SJ comes back and kills it?, as ive noticed in the past your pretty quick to try change the narrative when it doesnt back up your rants. Also i cant help but disagree how Te Maire and the left goes isnt soley on SJ....thats ridiculous.....without doubt those 2 need to connect better, but also without doubt hopefully Te Maires new found confidence means he doesnt take a backseat, that when they have gone right, he's organising his edge getting ready to pull the trigger,,,,,and then Demanding the ball.

Also u say being an SJ fan like its a bad thing lol. Why shouldnt we be.......has genuine love for the club., knocked back 2 offers now to stay with the club he loves, has never been in an ounce of trouble off the park over a long career, unlike the plethora of other dickheads, a great inspiration and example to the younger players, and a significant reason why League in this country is on the upturn. If loss of form or injury takes him so be it, the end is nigh as they say......but either way, he's a champion,

Like i said bro no offence, u generally have some really insightful observations and no doubt you'll have a clever reply instore, but ill probably leave this here as i dont do tit for tat. Have a good night. Uo the Wahs!
There are a number of things that have all added up to produce the results we had. Injuries including to SJ, tactics, lack of variation, bench use, etc I don't think you can pin any of it on one thing just as it isn't all on TMM for the two wins we have just had. Though he must have given pause for breath to a number of his detractors. I think the return of our 'A' team is going to be very interesting and I'm hoping to see a dominant Warriors run, through until at least the next bye. The key figure in all of this will be Webster, particularly when it comes to how that left edge works. I think he has realized that it can be better. He said in one of his press conferences when asked about TMMs form that they just park him on the left edge and we need to find a way to get him more involved. Some took that to mean TMM wasn't getting involved but it appears to me that he was acknowledging the strategy or tactics were heavily weighted to that right edge and SJ as the dominant play maker. Given AWs comments over the last few weeks around what we are now seeing, not just from TMM, but the whole team, I am expecting to see the variations and tactics to remain.

Last edited:

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3]sup42

Horrible.

We had no rudder there.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

I guarentee you these are the KPIs and factors Websters been referring to in his press conferences in the "we were happy we were able to achieve the things we wanted to" because without these basics it doesnt matter who u throw out there your not a chance. I can also guarentee4 u these things are overlooked cause for their not "sexy" enough.....you and i should know better tho right?

As a Warriors fan im stoked Te Maires stepped up (cause god knows we need him to) but if your objective enough their are still limitations in his game and if it turns out the variations of play arent evident when SJ and the senior players get back, and if the root cause is SJ then so be it the change should be made accordingly. Even tho im a unabashed SJ fan im a Warriors fan first and foremost......however can u say the same if SJ comes back and kills it?, as ive noticed in the past your pretty quick to try change the narrative when it doesnt back up your rants. Also i cant help but disagree how Te Maire and the left goes is soley on SJ....thats ridiculous.....without doubt those 2 need to connect better, but also without doubt hopefully Te Maires new found confidence means he doesnt take a backseat, that when they have gone right, he's organising his edge getting ready to pull the trigger,,,,,and then Demanding the ball.

Also u say being an SJ fan like its a bad thing lol. Why shouldnt we be.......has genuine love for the club., knocked back 2 offers now to stay with the cllub he loves on unders, has never been in an ounce of trouble off the park over a long career (which goes a long way in my book), unlike the plethora of other dickheads, a great inspiration and example to the younger players, and a significant reason why League in this country is on the upturn. If loss of form or injury takes him so be it, the end is nigh as they say......but either way, he's a champion,

Holy crap I need to pack a lunch just to read that reply....lmao

Hopefully his new boat keeps him around because he’s certainly being noticed by other teams fans at least. Would like to see us pursue Dylan Brown for 2026 and TMM our 7 after SJ hangs his boots up
He's a very capable back up for SJ at 7 and I think he is close to our best 6 with CHT.

If somehow we managed to get Dylan Brown then a halves combo of TMM and Brown with CHT developing in to a Walker clone at 13/14 would be awesome. Would give us the next 2 or 3 seasons potentially to develop or find another 7.