Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is that the policy is it? One bad day and your benefit is cut?
Policy? Maybe. It's the reality, in some cases. The case managers are god. It doesn't take much at all, and you get one person saying do this, while another says "don't do that do this"

Research NZ finds opinion varies on wanting Treaty of Waitangi referendum

Polls have found Kiwi opinion varies on wanting a Treaty of Waitangi referendum.

A new poll shows "opinion is polarised" about whether there should be a referendum on the Treaty of Waitangi.

The Research New Zealand survey indicates 36 percent of 1000 respondents want a referendum, while 35 percent are against it. The remainder were undecided.

People aged between 18 and 34 were more likely to want a referendum compared with older groups.

Research NZ managing partner Emanuel Kalafatelis told Sunday Morning the nationally representative survey hoped to uncover people's key issues of concern.

"Cost of living is what it is, inflation shows no signs of abating. So generally, at ground level, it's tough for the average New Zealander."

He said the result of the 18 to 34 years old group that supported the referendum was "counter-intuitive".

But he looked at the data again and confirmed that 46 percent of younger people agreed that there should be a referendum and at the other extreme, those over 55 years old only 35 percent agreed, "so there's a big difference there of at least 10 percentage points which you can't ignore".

Supplementary questions would have helped better understand why those surveyed agreed or disagreed with a referendum, Kalafatelis said.

"I'm theorising that younger people generally, as well as everyone else who was in support of there being a referendum, perhaps many of them feel that there should be a referendum in order to clear the air, so to speak, have a clear path that people can follow moving forward so that we have a reference point that we can all connect to."

It was interesting that younger people were in favour of New Zealand becoming a republic, changing its flag and even changing its name, he said.

"Maybe it's an indication that ... as far as young people are concerned, New Zealand is sort of continuing to mature and that, perhaps there is a need for change. I'm just hypothesizing now. I can't really point at any results which help us really be definitive on this matter at this particular point in time."

The survey also found that 48 percent of men agreed with the referendum on the Treaty compared with 25 percent of women.

Regionally, 40 percent of the respondents living north of Taupō agreed, compared with 31 percent of those who were from the South Island.

Of the 1000 survey respondents, Kalafatelis said there wasn't a large sub-sample of Māori.

"But looking at the results for Māori there was, I would like to say a tendency for Māori to be more in favour of there being a referendum than Pākehā."

"Certainly puzzles and interests me. There's no doubt that this is a complex issue and potentially it'll become even more complex as we move through the next few months," Kalafatelis said.

Other pressing issues
The survey also looked at what the public wants the government to prioritise.

There were three: high cost of food and other everyday essentials (90 percent); long GP and hospital waiting times (87 percent); and the rate of crime committed by young people (84 percent).

Also ranking high on issues people want addressed were a lack of affordable, healthy housing (78 percent); and old leaking water pipes in the major cities (75 percent).

"There's an increasing proportion of New Zealanders in favour of te reo Māori becoming a compulsory subject in New Zealand schools [37 percent]."

RNZ

Newshub
Interesting poll.

We need the "hmm" reaction for this thread 🤔
I often hit like if someone makes a good point even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

In the past couple of years two family members have needed crisis mental health assessment urgently.

I got involved when their families got rejected by the System, gate keeping on the Crisis phones.

I told family what buttons to push when speaking with mental health teams to get taken seriously.

Still they were rejected.

So I told them to drive their relative to Hospital and ask for the team that take care of people who arrive in the Emergency department mentally ill.

One relative was a teenager, they got seen at (not saying which hospital) a major hospital outside of Auckland by the Psych liason staff (these are the Psyche staff that work permanently in general hospitals seeing ill people in the E.D. or in the wards.

The teenager was sent urgently to Auckland in a cop car and admitted to the Intensive care unit for the mentally ill, turns out he has the most severe form of Schizophrenia and is on the strongest medicine known to man kind. This is just a poor skinny geeky kid that got bullied severely at school and couldn't take it anymore, so he starts hearing voices, climbing the walls, staying awake all night, wandering the streets....talking to himself, waving his arms around....a thirteen year old with no drug or alcohol history....no history of mental illness...and our psych system wouldn't come see this child.

We thought about laying an official complaint with the mental health team that turned him away.

Another family member became ill (both these cases are first timers) nearly died, was turned down by mental health services. So I told them to do the same thing, drive to the Emergency department and make them see her face to face.

That also resulted in an urgent referral to the nearest Psyche ICU, which could not take them, so they sat under guard with security for a few days in E.D. waiting for a bed.

I dunno if we are being ignored because we are Maori.

There is something broken. Very broken. If my family did not have advice to go to the Emergency dept one young person would be dead and the other who knows, they could have died or killed someone else.

Very disgusted in all this news of late, given our services cannot even come and see people urgently when they hear that the person is high risk.

We already know that the Mentally unwell are being put in prisons, none of the latest Govt shit is even in the ball park of humanity.
Sorry to hear all that mate. Puts this stuff here into perspective eh.

Look, I agree that this shouldn't be politicised. It should be a given that if people are mentally ill or have addiction issues that they are seeking and getting help.

What really surprises me is this, where was all this vitriol when the previous government wasted hundreds of millions of dollars that should have been put towards mental health and the Minister in charge at the time still has no clue where it all went?

So, I get it. But if some of you are actually honest with yourselves, the silence previously is just as damning as any policy being discussed now.

In the past couple of years two family members have needed crisis mental health assessment urgently.

I got involved when their families got rejected by the System, gate keeping on the Crisis phones.

I told family what buttons to push when speaking with mental health teams to get taken seriously.

Still they were rejected.

So I told them to drive their relative to Hospital and ask for the team that take care of people who arrive in the Emergency department mentally ill.

One relative was a teenager, they got seen at (not saying which hospital) a major hospital outside of Auckland by the Psych liason staff (these are the Psyche staff that work permanently in general hospitals seeing ill people in the E.D. or in the wards.

The teenager was sent urgently to Auckland in a cop car and admitted to the Intensive care unit for the mentally ill, turns out he has the most severe form of Schizophrenia and is on the strongest medicine known to man kind. This is just a poor skinny geeky kid that got bullied severely at school and couldn't take it anymore, so he starts hearing voices, climbing the walls, staying awake all night, wandering the streets....talking to himself, waving his arms around....a thirteen year old with no drug or alcohol history....no history of mental illness...and our psych system wouldn't come see this child.

We thought about laying an official complaint with the mental health team that turned him away.

Another family member became ill (both these cases are first timers) nearly died, was turned down by mental health services. So I told them to do the same thing, drive to the Emergency department and make them see her face to face.

That also resulted in an urgent referral to the nearest Psyche ICU, which could not take them, so they sat under guard with security for a few days in E.D. waiting for a bed.

I dunno if we are being ignored because we are Maori.

There is something broken. Very broken. If my family did not have advice to go to the Emergency dept one young person would be dead and the other who knows, they could have died or killed someone else.

Very disgusted in all this news of late, given our services cannot even come and see people urgently when they hear that the person is high risk.

We already know that the Mentally unwell are being put in prisons, none of the latest Govt shit is even in the ball park of humanity.
Really sorry to hear and hope some inroads are being made. I think you should definitely follow through with that complaint.

Look, I agree that this shouldn't be politicised. It should be a given that if people are mentally ill or have addiction issues that they are seeking and getting help.

What really surprises me is this, where was all this vitriol when the previous government wasted hundreds of millions of dollars that should have been put towards mental health and the Minister in charge at the time still has no clue where it all went?

So, I get it. But if some of you are actually honest with yourselves, the silence previously is just as damning as any policy being discussed now.
One word, neoliberalism. Two wings of the same bird.

Time for my antipsychotics 🍺

Labour - well intentioned, disorganised and incompetent.

This is down to the two sides of the spectrum, and the right parties are full blown neoliberal and supercharged by the current wave of fascism.

No comparison.

Sorry to hear all that mate. Puts this stuff here into proportion eh.

Thanks.

Well the thing is, mine is current real world experience and the bottom line is, there is not enough support out there already for the level of problems, and this govt wants to make those problems harder for people.

I dunno how some families are surviving, we at least had knowledge of how this broken system works and what to do when they turn you down.

Thanks.

Well the thing is, mine is current real world experience and the bottom line is, there is not enough support out there already for the level of problems, and this govt wants to make those problems harder for people.

I dunno how some families are surviving, we at least had knowledge of how this broken system works and what to do when they turn you down.
Just tell them to get a job and stop hearing voices -Dean

Just tell them to get a job and stop hearing voices -Dean

Seems like we are headed for several changes to our society.

New Zealand will not be thought of a safe country anymore.

But that is fine if you are happy stock up on guns at home and sleep soundly in the knowledge that the dregs are society are finally getting the Govt Jack boots laid into them like you always dreamed.

Good luck in the world your kids inherit is all I can say.

Seems like we are headed for several changes to our society.

New Zealand will not be thought of a safe country anymore.

But that is fine if you are happy stock up on guns at home and sleep soundly in the knowledge that the dregs are society are finally getting the Govt Jack boots laid into them like you always dreamed.

Good luck in the world your kids inherit is all I can say.
Are you on any antidepressants Sup?

Mqybe Frank had the answer, give the unemployed 30K a year to keep schtum and suffer in silence, works out cheaper in the long run.

Are you on any antidepressants Sup?

Mqybe Frank had the answer, give the unemployed 30K a year to keep schtum and suffer in silence, works out cheaper in the long run.

Well that makes a lot more sense than having people humiliated and dependent on multiple systems to survive.

I guess I am just gonna have to stop giving a shit.

Tbh e hoa I stopped doing that when I first went on SSRI's and haven't given one since. Just for 20 years though.

That is great bro.

Good stuff. Wonderful when stuff helps and it works.

I do not think this mob will get in next time.

They are just too many arseholes to carry off the next term of GOVT.

They are gonna have to tread on some voters toes that backed them anyway because they cannot help it, their main priorities are clearly lining their pockets through the ilk of big tobacco, the Fire arms industry, gambling, oh and the petro chemical industry.

Gonna be good for a laugh when people finally realise these people give zero shits about them.

Back