• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Rugby League in New Zealand -A People's History

NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I purchased this book. Epic read with so much information. We have a history rich sport, another book could be written easily *nudge nudge Ryan*.
Quite interesting how the game followed working class people and especially among industries that had strong union ties like wharfies, meat workers, miners etc. Never knew that...

The Labour party, the union movement and rugby league are intertwined. It's no coincidence that West Caost, Greymouth plays such a massive part in the story of all three in New Zealand.
Maritime Union of NZ Auck. branch had their own team a few years back.
Played in the AK senior comps & contained a few Kiwis.
Was called Maritime.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Maritime Union of NZ Auck. branch had their own team a few years back.
Played in the AK senior comps & contained a few Kiwis.
Was called Maritime.
I managed to play a couple of games of cricket for the Maritime club. Still know a couple of the old times that were involved with it. At one point a very strong rugby league club.

Quite interesting how the game followed working class people and especially among industries that had strong union ties like wharfies, meat workers, miners etc. Never knew that...
That's why I had a warm glow of nostalgia when Luxon was booed on Saty. I mean, not booed like a Nat leader would've been at Carlaw - not that a Nat leader would've gone anywhere near Carlaw - but at least loud enough for me to hear echoes of labour movements past over the clinking of bottles of fizzy wine in the corporate boxes.

When I played league in the Deep South in the 80s there were loads of freezing workers, council workers, labourers and mostly Māori and Pacific Islanders.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Recently finished the book and it was a great read. I knew of alot of the origins and sentiment but not to the detail that the book covered off. If you are a leaguie then its worth reading as you will likely (or maybe) see some links to how you became a leaguie in the first place.

Recently finished the book and it was a great read. I knew of alot of the origins and sentiment but not to the detail that the book covered off. If you are a leaguie then its worth reading as you will likely (or maybe) see some links to how you became a leaguie in the first place.
I was union because I always was and knew there was some local league.
Anyway a league team were pre season training near my parents house and I was labouring for the council so I popped along for a look. Nek minute fast forward a month and I am playing in the season opener.
OMG loved it immediately.
My parents and siblings came to watch.
I was 17 and playing premier league.
Played decent too.

When I played league in the Deep South in the 80s there were loads of freezing workers, council workers, labourers and mostly Māori and Pacific Islanders.
Maunga Emery and Tank Gordon played for Maritime as I remember.
There was another ex All Black I seem to recall also 🤔

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back