• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Regional League Comps Discussion

NZWarriors.com
He’s still running Māori rugby league.
Scouts galore at the recent 15s and 17s comp on Kings Birthday Weekend. Most of the Warriors Harold Matt’s players on show.

He’s still running Māori rugby league.
Scouts galore at the recent 15s and 17s comp on Kings Birthday Weekend. Most of the Warriors Harold Matt’s players on show.
He was based in Sport Waikato in Hamilton from memory

Kia ora. Just replying to your comments about your memory's on the Kawerau Raider's against Taiwhakaea Hammerheads game.. I played in that game. It was at Cutler cres whakatane.behind the polytech next to the stop bank. The 2 brothers were from Taiwhakaea. I know for sure the big brother is no longer with us. His brother was a nippy fast winger. He ran around me.. and I just threw my arm. He dropped but never stayed down. Of course the big brother came in to smash me.but rikihana te rangi got in the way and took the brunt of the impact.which gave me enough time to turn and punch the big brother in the face. He dropped too but never stayed down. I was ordered out of the park. So I jumped the fence and stood on the stop bank. I got stood down for 6weeks.end of that game I shook hands with both brothers. Because that's how we rolled in coastline in those days. Every team had enforcers. Some teams more than others.Taiwhakea had kihi. Sonny smith. Mike TePou Trog.Frog to name a few. Te Punawi had Dallas hohua.. Dave and Chaz Gonna. Tyron rangi. Opotiki had some monsters spike big Dion and Ox and b Barns. Knights had Richard Kurei. Te Teko had Pat Hill Caesar and Dino Rangi. Edgcumbe Steelers the Smith brothers and Pete Ngaheu.TePaamu was packed large and small Leota Witere.Lincon Simon Wilson brothers. Roy .warriors Tauranga had Lance Waaka Willie rarere Willie ratu big kerryleleef.raiders had my brother Joe ..Steve Dean's.. Phil Gamer.. Shane KareKare.. Justin Raki Quentin Pukeroa Aaron Wi. DesJnr. Leon Chase Sam Tawera played for us after he started the Teko bulldogs. Zahan herewini. These guys were also coastline reps. I've been a raider from start 1984 to end2004. Won one grand final against TePaamu. On their home ground and lifted the trophy in their clubhouse as captain.theres more great players I've missed sorry brothers. Raider Lionel TeRiini is my name.
Hey Lionel hope things are going well.

I was supposed to play for the reserves that day but couldn't make it. Phil was the one that told me what happened. I can't recall if he told me the wrong name then or years later.

Although I still have family down there I don't get down too often now. When I said Taiwhakea one of my mates moved to Taiwhakea it was Phil that told me we used to play them in league.

Rikihaha was here the 13 we had that was travelling over from Rotorua? I remember we had one guy who told me and Phil he started at the Raiders and wanted his last year at the Raiders. Pretty sure his name was Riki. He also brought over that gun centre, last name Walters. I remember me and Phil would be confused as half the club would call him Bobbie and the other half would call him Bobbie. I remember we asked one guy is his name Bobbie or Robbie? He shook his head and laughed and said "I don't know". I used to love playing down there everyone was so relaxed. Laugh at pretty much everything.

We also had that guy Anton I think his name was who also played centre. He was a champion kickboxer and was often in the paper with the belts he'd won. I remember we'd train at Predeaux Park. One night Phil and I were getting ready talking to Justin and the others were playing a game. Something happened and Justin got excited as something was going down. He said soething like backing up Anton. We looked up and he was bouncing around. I remember us guys sitting back were like F that getting him riled up you probably wouldn't see the kick that hit you in the head.

I am pretty sure that was the year we had Blackies game plan where we used our jersey numbers. Kick the ball out and call 2 the winger will run it. Call 8 a prop will run it. Call 7, 11 a second rower will run off the halfback. Some of the smarter teams like Te Paamu worked it out pretty quickly as we'd hear them yell "They are using their jersey numbers". We'd get told stick to the game plan, it's a good plan. I remember Phil saying the opposition are working it out.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Hey Lionel hope things are going well.

I was supposed to play for the reserves that day but couldn't make it. Phil was the one that told me what happened. I can't recall if he told me the wrong name then or years later.

Although I still have family down there I don't get down too often now. When I said Taiwhakea one of my mates moved to Taiwhakea it was Phil that told me we used to play them in league.

Rikihaha was here the 13 we had that was travelling over from Rotorua? I remember we had one guy who told me and Phil he started at the Raiders and wanted his last year at the Raiders. Pretty sure his name was Riki. He also brought over that gun centre, last name Walters. I remember me and Phil would be confused as half the club would call him Bobbie and the other half would call him Bobbie. I remember we asked one guy is his name Bobbie or Robbie? He shook his head and laughed and said "I don't know". I used to love playing down there everyone was so relaxed. Laugh at pretty much everything.

We also had that guy Anton I think his name was who also played centre. He was a champion kickboxer and was often in the paper with the belts he'd won. I remember we'd train at Predeaux Park. One night Phil and I were getting ready talking to Justin and the others were playing a game. Something happened and Justin got excited as something was going down. He said soething like backing up Anton. We looked up and he was bouncing around. I remember us guys sitting back were like F that getting him riled up you probably wouldn't see the kick that hit you in the head.

I am pretty sure that was the year we had Blackies game plan where we used our jersey numbers. Kick the ball out and call 2 the winger will run it. Call 8 a prop will run it. Call 7, 11 a second rower will run off the halfback. Some of the smarter teams like Te Paamu worked it out pretty quickly as we'd hear them yell "They are using their jersey numbers". We'd get told stick to the game plan, it's a good plan. I remember Phil saying the opposition are working it out.

Kia ora bro.yip your pretty accurate rikihana TeRangi and Bob Walters were staying in Rotoiti so was Antom Koia the kickboxer.. I was in Rotoma then. Justin was too. That game plan of Blackies came from city tigers when they played in 89. M 3.4.7.7 yip that's the right calls. Not sure which Phil your talking about.Phil Martin from Taiwhakaea or Phil Garner from Raiders.I know both very well.still haven't figured out your name yet 😂😂.but your pretty bang with those memories chur my bro.

Kia ora bro.yip your pretty accurate rikihana TeRangi and Bob Walters were staying in Rotoiti so was Antom Koia the kickboxer.. I was in Rotoma then. Justin was too. That game plan of Blackies came from city tigers when they played in 89. M 3.4.7.7 yip that's the right calls. Not sure which Phil your talking about.Phil Martin from Taiwhakaea or Phil Garner from Raiders.I know both very well.still haven't figured out your name yet 😂😂.but your pretty bang with those memories chur my bro.
Phil Garner. I played for the Raiders 92 - 95 before I moved from town. 92 under 13s, 93 under 15s, 93 under 17s. I was in the same under 17s team as Phil, Quentin, Zachan.

We probably only crossed paths in 95. After that I was usually back supporting the boys.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I should have added that the clubs that have played under the Aoraki banner are the Ashburton Barbarians, Country Cowboys, Makikihi Marauders, Chertsey Oilers, Timaru Outlaws. Ashburton and Makikihi have dropped out for 2024.

Waikato and BOP Champs crowned today.

Taniwharau in Waikato.
Arataki Bears in BOP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240727_182314_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240727_182314_Facebook.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240727_182253_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240727_182253_Facebook.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 20
Back