International New Zealand Kiwis

Sounds like the Kiwis board has given him an ultimatum. He will take the Blues job I would imagine as it would do wonders for his portfolio. Typical NZRL, always make brash decisions without even testing it for a year. Abit dissapointed, sad mostly for the playing group who I feel have finally built something sustainable. Bringing in another coach throws a spanner in the works again and could potentially see more player movement back to the island nations.

I hope he would chose Kiwis over the Blues but its just too big a role to not take the opportunity.

Looks like he’s not going to be allowed to go on with both roles. Shame, because I don’t see any Kiwi coaches ready. NZRL should be shrewd and try get Bennett with him becoming available soon. Could put some good potential Kiwi coaches around him to learn for a couple of years. Through to the 2026 World Cup would be ideal.

Looks like he’s not going to be allowed to go on with both roles. Shame, because I don’t see any Kiwi coaches ready. NZRL should be shrewd and try get Bennett with him becoming available soon. Could put some good potential Kiwi coaches around him to learn for a couple of years. Through to the 2026 World Cup would be ideal.
We have a poorly run and financially poor NZRL. They would be better looking at every way they can make it work and hold on to him than to let him go and try and replace him with someone else. Is there anyone that stands out as a capable replacement if they let him go? Like you, I cant see anyone ready to step in to the role that could do as good or better job than he is doing currently.

We have a poorly run and financially poor NZRL. They would be better looking at every way they can make it work and hold on to him than to let him go and try and replace him with someone else. Is there anyone that stands out as a capable replacement if they let him go? Like you, I cant see anyone ready to step in to the role that could do as good or better job than he is doing currently.
I feel a massive part of the job atm is actually recruitment. The fact he has convinced the likes of NAS, Leota, Mulitalo and others to do play for the kiwis has been huge. Those players had as much right to play for Samoa but chose the kiwis. I think Madge has had reasonable pulling power. Who do we have that could do a similar job? Stacey to an extent could but could he attract the fringe kiwi eligible player as well like a Leota.

I do feel Madge has done a great job of restoring the jersey and brand to now we are wanting to establish some dominance in the international arena. Mal would be licking his lips knowing the man who thrashed him 30-0 might leave.

Absolute dick move to let him go. Sounds either like some puffed-up old boys who might've been grumpy that their choice/s haven't been given the position in the past have found the excuse they need to make Madge walk the plank; or that they can't move with the times, accept we have a rare good coach in the role, and trust him to keep his NSW/Kiwis responsibilities separate.

What is wrong with the NZRL? Why do they shoot themselves in the foot every time any kind of progress is being made with league in this country?

I am sick of this pack of idiots who couldn't organise a piss in a brewery. Too many jobs for the old boys, not enough jobs for anyone with more than about 3 brain cells.

I wish NSW kept their dirty mits off him, but this is for the best with him taking the job.

I like the Bennett idea a lot. He hasn’t said anything about retiring from coaching, I think all he has said is that he won’t be leaving Queensland

Phins keep him as a consultant or something, and then 4 weeks a year he can go into Kiwis camp. Head coach, or assistant, whichever he wants

As assistant, imagine Bennett holding Kearney’s hand to a World Cup, then does it again 18 years later with Cayless or Stacey or if it were as head coach he can groom one of them to succeed him, and after the 26WC he can go off and coach the 18th team, assuming he hasn’t gone senile

I'm not too concerned who coaches the Kiwis, they barely ever play. If they can get someone decent (I'm looking at you Ivan!) to lead them at the next world cup, much like Wayne Smith did with the Black Ferns at their last world cup, then I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Back