• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

International Pacific Championship

Wasn’t sure where to put this but thought this thread might be the most appropriate.
With Stacey saying RTS to Samoa I think we will have a pretty strong side.

RTS
Taulagi
Tago
Critta
To’o
Talagi
Luai
Papalii
Chan Kum Tong
May
Su’a
Luki
Leilua

CHT
Leniu
Kaufusi
Blore

Pretty sure Paulo will be out injured and Stefano might rep Tonga.

NZWarriors.com
Wasn’t sure where to put this but thought this thread might be the most appropriate.
With Stacey saying RTS to Samoa I think we will have a pretty strong side.

RTS
Taulagi
Tago
Critta
To’o
Talagi
Luai
Papalii
Chan Kum Tong
May
Su’a
Luki
Leilua

CHT
Leniu
Kaufusi
Blore

Pretty sure Paulo will be out injured and Stefano might rep Tonga.
Looking forward to seeing them play England. I’m going to the first test

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Hoping Cook Islands can get some more players to turn out for them this year. This is my team

E Ioka
J Minhinnick
R Rennie
K Iro
P Ulberg
E Marsters
T Arona
M Makatoa
R Ngatikaura
D Moale
R Porter
M Niukore
X Willison

A Teroi
K Tararo
T Moeroa
R Dakin

Unlikely to get Molo bros, Piakura, I Katoa, Holmes unless not picked by Mal & think Tetevano is injured, pitty.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Hoping Cook Islands can get some more players to turn out for them this year. This is my team

E Ioka
J Minhinnick
R Rennie
K Iro
P Ulberg
E Marsters
T Arona
M Makatoa
R Ngatikaura
D Moale
R Porter
M Niukore
X Willison

A Teroi
K Tararo
T Moeroa
R Dakin

Unlikely to get Molo bros, Piakura, I Katoa, Holmes unless not picked by Mal & think Tetevano is injured, pitty.
I'll try find the link re - Xavier Willison. Hes committed to the Kiwis. Pretty sure Molo Bros have committed to the Cookies.

New Kiwis jersey revealed for 2024 Pacific Championship, taking inspiration from historic strip
story by Michael Burgess

In a way, the Kiwis will step back in time more than two decades when they take the field in the Pacific Championships next month. When James Fisher-Harris leads his team out against Australia in Christchurch on October 27, they will be wearing jersey designs last seen in 2002.

The new Kiwis strip was unveiled on Tuesday and is a replica of that strip, worn in the end-of-year test against the Kangaroos, then the subsequent tour of England and France.

Back then the sport was on an all-time high, after the Warriors had reached their first NRL grand final, sparking wild scenes of celebration when they qualified by beating the Cronulla Sharks and massive media interest in the lead-up to the match.

However, it wasn’t a particularly successful year for the Kiwis. They were edged 32-24 by Australia in Wellington in a tight encounter, after leading 24-16 midway through the second half. The 17 who took the field were a reflection of the Warriors’ success, with eight players from the Auckland club.

The trip to the Northern Hemisphere became an endurance test, with numerous injuries and withdrawals along the way, with the squad down to 22 players at one point. They beat Wales 50-22, they toppled Great Britain 30-16 at Ewood Park, with Henry Fa’afili getting a hat-trick. The second test was a 14-14 draw, before the home side prevailed 16-10 in Wigan, their first victory over the Kiwis in a decade.

That result - and a perceived lack of progress - saw coach Gary Freeman replaced by Daniel Anderson in 2003.

So it wasn’t a standout year and if you were looking to model a historic Kiwis jersey from that era, there were other more obvious choices. The 2005 jumper – worn during the remarkable Tri-Nations campaign where Brian McClennan’s team toppled Australia twice, including the 24-0 win at Elland Road or especially the 2008 kit, when the Kiwis became world champions in Brisbane.

But designer Dynasty Sport apparently liked the look of the 2002 top, with the design ticking several boxes. There’s also a nice sense of symmetry, as new coach Stacey Jones captained the Kiwis for the first time that year.

James Fisher-Harris models the new Kiwis strip for this season. Photo / NRL Photos/Gregg Porteous

James Fisher-Harris models the new Kiwis strip for this season. Photo / NRL Photos/Gregg Porteous

Other prominent players of that era included Nigel Vagana, Clinton Toopi, Ali Lauitiiti, Ruben Wiki and Stephen Kearney.

The new Kiwi Ferns jersey is modelled on a similar design.

Raecene McGregor wearing the new Kiwis Ferns strip. Photo / NRL Photos/Gregg Porteous

Raecene McGregor wearing the new Kiwis Ferns strip. Photo / NRL Photos/Gregg Porteous

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I get why Ponga doesnt want to play. Player fatigue and injury has never been higher imo. Players know they cant sustain their levels playing at this level of intensity for this long, with the 6 again and golden point plus the season although players are still playing 24 games the season has extended to 27 rounds so the NRL has added on 2-3 extra weeks to their schedule.

The mid season test were cut to accomodate the clubs and allow them to maximise revenue and ultimately not get their players injured because they are deemed lesser games e.g Imagine if Moses tore his bicep playing for Lebanon instead of NSW, the Eels would be more pissed if it was for Lebanon but because its the blues it softens the blow and its almost looked as heroic and will be celebrated despite it severly impacting the eels season.

Because Origin has gone back to 3 Wednesdays what was a 25 week season also had to be extended to 27. Now we're coming to the end of the year and we aren't getting the best players playing in the Pacific Champs because players with niggles and injuries know they won't have the time to recover or rest their bodies to prepare them for the season for the people who pay them. I get it but also disagree with that mentality. I respected the Cam Smiths and Thurstons year in year out always played Kangaroos and went on tours. They probably played close to 35 games a season and never turned down the opportunity to represent the green and gold. I get player burn out but the goats always had the mentality that they wanted to win at all levels and imo if you don't do it on the international stage as well you shouldnt be so easily accepted into the NRL hall of fame.

What do we do? The only way is the NRL and the clubs would have to accept reducing the season 2-3 weeks. Now you can still finish in November but the NRL comp would have to start late March. I doubt the clubs will take less revenue, the RLPA probably wouldn't be happy as less games would mean less money for their players. The players still want to be paid more. All roads probably lead to less international games.

The only way this could literally work would have to be a private investor buying the international game out or at least comps like the Pacific Champs. They would have to pay the players a minimum of 20k a game or higher, if Ponga got 50k for an international game I'm sure he would be saying otherwise. They would have to pay the clubs in lost revenue or reimbursent of wages for use of players something like that. They would have to pay the NRL for lossed revenue or some type of fee for their reduced competition. Will this ever happen? No but if some magical Saudi money came in it would be the only way.

So unless internationals take a drastic turn and make a profit and are valued to a higher level with a bigger profile not much will change, I mean lower tier players dont even want to play Kiwis or Kangaroos which shows alarm bells as to how devalued it is.

I will still watch the games but you cant help but feel it wouldve been great to see Hughes v Cleary in a Pac Champs final. The end of season immediately devalues the comp but I think most fans would watch it but we are tired of the product by this point in the season and turn off after the final and move into the other content.

Its a really tough pill to swallow as an internationalist but it is what it is, all I can hope is the Kiwis or even Tonga win comps otherwise it will keep feeding into the australian public narrative that whats the point when the Kangaroos win all the time. Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.

I can see both side of the argument in regards to Ponga. However I think it’ll set a bad precedent with clubs using it as an example/excuse to pull there players out from later test matches. Or at least put pressure on players to do so.

When the NRL goes to 18 teams they could potentially drop the season by 1 week because one team won’t have to have a bye each week.
I know it won’t happen, but I’d like game 2 of SOO to be played on a weekend and the Kiwis play Tonga, Samoa or potentially at a later stage PNG.

In regards to Mitch Barnett playing for Australia, that’d be incredible for him and I’m sure he’ll do well.
But I’d like him to have a long off season, it was clear to me that he was declining in the last few games of the season. We need him humming to play finals next year.

Same as CNK, part of me hopes he doesn’t get picked so he rests up. But I know Stacey will pick him. Not a knock on his ability just a need for rest IMO, him having sore ribs at the end of last year certainly have an effect on this season. (I’ve had rib injuries, not fun)
But It is what it is.

The clubs have been pulling out New Zealand or Pacific Island players for years. One Australian player pulls out and the Australians go nuts.

The way they went about it probably could have been handled better.

When they have pulled out our players it's usually due to an injury that needs surgery or time to heal. Or that is what has been announced. At the end of the day, the other countries haven't had much control over it as the clubs pay the players' wages and also have their injury history etc.

When it affects their side the Australians suddenly see international football as the pinnacle. If they asked more questions in the past about other countries' players being pulled or weren't happy to play weakened sides I'd see it differently. At the moment it just looks like what we see every year. A player pulling out of international football.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Maori Mum Samoan dad. Born in Oz. Don't think he has any links ? Could do if he is picked? Work your magic JFH!
Just thought it would be an interesting selection from Stacey Jones. No real loyalty to panthers from Toelau being that he isn’t from their systems and started there on a train and trial contract at the beginning of the year. Impressive to earn 9 appearances from there. Has good defensive stats in there and a couple of tries, but no assists as a five eighth. Blaze Talagi’s arrival could push him down the pecking order too? Looking at that predicted team, not a fan of Isaako at centre

Just thought it would be an interesting selection from Stacey Jones. No real loyalty to panthers from Toelau being that he isn’t from their systems and started there on a train and trial contract at the beginning of the year. Impressive to earn 9 appearances from there. Has good defensive stats in there and a couple of tries, but no assists as a five eighth. Blaze Talagi’s arrival could push him down the pecking order too? Looking at that predicted team, not a fan of Isaako at centre
He's a strong kid. Good ball runner. Do we need another project youngster? See how he goes if he gets game time in the Kiwis. Judge him then.
Yeah, I hate Issako at centre. Rather Mulitalo before him. Or Seb Kris

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back