Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Risk vs reward doesn’t add up for a top 4 club.
If he played great he wouldnt change the team’s fortunes.
If his head wasn’t right it could effect the whole squad and turn us to a bottom 4 team.

I dunno, for me we've had a great return to the winners circle this year, but to not do things as 'that's not what a top 4 team would do' seems a bit premature.

When you've had consistent success for long periods of time like Penrith, Storm, Roosters they can play the game a little differently. They'll get players to stay for less,l, and also players sign with them for less whereas were in NZ I can't see us having to much success in that sense.

We still need to think outside the box. Crichton would be a risk for sure, but if Webby has a couple of meetings with him and backs himself to bring out the best in him it would be a masterstroke, getting one of the premier backrowers of the game for 5-600k.

I don't think we can compete out and out with those top teams who have had consistent success just yet - so we need to think outside the square a bit, get those money ball signings and do things a bit different.

No thank you to Crichton, we have better prospective juniors coming through, all we really need is another mid tier+ prop somewhere between AFB and Buntys level. Ideally would be Bunty if he can go to another level.

Imagine if we got peak Crichton for just a bit more than Curran's money. That's a huge win any day of the week, especially while waiting for our rookies to develop. Would be huge.

Probably not gunna happen haha, but I don't think it's something we can put a line through immediately

Imagine if we got peak Crichton for just a bit more than Curran's money. That's a huge win any day of the week, especially while waiting for our rookies to develop. Would be huge.

Probably not gunna happen haha, but I don't think it's something we can put a line through immediately
Crichton is too risky mate imo, he was pretty far gone 12 months ago

Roosters would keep him if they thought he would return to his best.
I was close to someone with bipolar and it is impossible to manage unless medication is closely followed with plenty of support. Recreational drugs including alcohol add to the issues faced.
Not worth the risk or distraction to the team.

sorry..didnt know where to put this..i read a while back that our junior grades for next season were under 17's..under 18's & under 21's is that right ?

Phil Gould ups ante in race for Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake

Phil Gould has indicated the Bulldogs will enter the race for the signature of Warriors enforcer Addin Fonua-Blake.

The Canterbury general manager of football confirmed the club were on the hunt for an “experienced middle forward” following the decision to pull-out of a deal with veteran prop Siosiua Taukeiaho.

Fonua-Blake has requested a release from his contract at the Warriors for 2025 in order to return to Sydney for personal reasons.

The Dragons and Wests Tigers are also preparing to make a play for Fonua-Blake, widely considered one of the top-five props in the game.

Gould showered Fonua-Blake in praise when asked if the Dogs were interested in signing the hard-running prop.

Surprisingly, Gould also hinted that the Tongan International was preparing to also change his allegiance to the green and gold of Australia.

“Yeah, Addin is a quality player,’’ Gould told SEN radio.

“I spent a little bit of time with Addin at the Warriors and got to see him first-hand, he’s a quality player.

“He’s not cheap though. I’d imagine there’d be alot of interest in Addin.

“He’s got to return home to Australia for family reasons, which he’s working through with the Warriors.

“He’s going to spend another year in New Zealand, I believe he’s making himself available for Australia in 2025.

“There’ll be a lot of people lining up for his signature that’s for sure.’’

Gould added that the Dogs forward pack was short of quality forwards.

“I think everyone knows that and sees that,’’ Gould said.

“The problem is that there’s nothing really on the market to buy.

“We don’t want to rush out and just spend the money.

“We’ve probably got a little bit more than people see. We’ve got some young blokes there that didn’t play a lot of football this year, and they (fans) would feel a bit better if we’d seen them play.

“We’re certainly looking (across the market), we’ve got money available.

“We realise that’s (forward pack) an issue for us and we’re working towards it, but I think we’re a bit better placed than what the average person is looking at there.

“Internally we’re confident that we’ve got some bloke there that can get the job done for us. No doubt we’re looking for an experienced middle forward though

NRL 2024: Jarome Luai Wests Tigers contract update, Penrith Panthers, Bulldogs | Daily Telegraph​

The Wests Tigers are poised to launch a club-defining bid for Penrith premiership-winner Jarome Luai which is expected to soar north of $4 million.
The major development has emerged amid increasing suggestions from the NRL that Luai has told his closest teammates that he is leaning towards leaving the Panthers at the end of 2024.

Wests Tigers coach Benji Marshall has taken a personal interest in the chase for Luai and it is understood he has the support of the club’s board to go all-in for the Panthers star.

However, it is anticipated that Marshall will face stiff competition from the Bulldogs, who have a long list of connections to Luai through head coach Cameron Ciraldo, marquee-signing Stephen Crichton, backrower Viliame Kikau, NSW Origin talent Matt Burton and fresh recruit Jaemon Salmon.

Yet it is the Tigers that have got the edge after Marshall held a recent meeting with the three-time premiership-winner at his home in the inner-west of Sydney.

Jarome Luai (R) with triple premiership teammates Stephen Crichton and Brian To’o. Picture: NRL

Jarome Luai (R) with triple premiership teammates Stephen Crichton and Brian To’o. Picture: NRL
At the heart of the negotiations is Marshall’s preparedness to offer Luai the opportunity to be the chief playmaker, regardless of whether he plays in the six or seven jersey.

It is a position that many within the game believe Luai has craved, having spent his first grade career in the shadow of champion Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary.

Money is also a factor. It is understood the Wests Tigers are prepared to offer a deal worth close to $1.1 million per-season for Luai, who turns 27 in January.

Marshall will need full board approval to table the offer given the enormity of the contract. However, it is understood that is a mere formality.

An offer in excess of $1 million would blow Penrith out of the water - the Panthers have already indicated to Luai that they can only offer him a maximum of $850,000 per season.

The Tigers have signed veteran half Aidan Sezer for 2024 only, but have invested heavily in recruiting Dragons half Jayden Sullivan and also former Manly rising star Latu Fainu.

The Wests Tigers also have high hopes for teenager Lachlan Galvin, who was a star at this year’s Australian Schoolboys carnival.

Luai, who has played seven matches for NSW and 11 appearances for Samoa, is also seen as a mentor to the likes of Sullivan, Faini and Galvin.

The Wests Tigers are also leaning on their connection to Luai through former Penrith teammates Api Koroisau, Brent Naden and Charlie Staines.

Luai was intending to return to Penrith on Wednesday to step-up his rehabilitation from recent shoulder surgery.

Benji Marshall has been given the green light to make a big-money play for Jarome Luai. Picture: Jeremy Ng/Getty Images

Benji Marshall has been given the green light to make a big-money play for Jarome Luai. Picture: Jeremy Ng/Getty Images
He is racing the clock to be fit for the three-time premiers pre-season fixtures and opening round clash against Melbourne at AAMI Park.

Luai is one of the few playmakers on the open market at the end of 2024, giving him the whiphand in talks with interested clubs.

North Queensland’s Tom Dearden is also up for grabs and it is believed the Bulldogs also hold an interest in the Maroons star, although it would take something special to convince him to leave the Cowboys.

Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary has also entered the final year of his contract, although he is expected to sign an extension for at least one season to stay at Bondi Junction.

AFB will be a huge loss no doubt. I get the impression on here that we need to have a big alpha zprop to carry the team. The main point has been missed. AFB was able to play longer minutes and be so effective was because of the workload taken up by particularly the other Forwards and outside backs. As such I will not mind someone coming in who will be that high work rste Prop. If he goes Dragons a part exchange for Dane zlaurie vould do.

Phil Gould ups ante in race for Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake

Phil Gould has indicated the Bulldogs will enter the race for the signature of Warriors enforcer Addin Fonua-Blake.

The Canterbury general manager of football confirmed the club were on the hunt for an “experienced middle forward” following the decision to pull-out of a deal with veteran prop Siosiua Taukeiaho.

Fonua-Blake has requested a release from his contract at the Warriors for 2025 in order to return to Sydney for personal reasons.

The Dragons and Wests Tigers are also preparing to make a play for Fonua-Blake, widely considered one of the top-five props in the game.

Gould showered Fonua-Blake in praise when asked if the Dogs were interested in signing the hard-running prop.

Surprisingly, Gould also hinted that the Tongan International was preparing to also change his allegiance to the green and gold of Australia.

“Yeah, Addin is a quality player,’’ Gould told SEN radio.

“I spent a little bit of time with Addin at the Warriors and got to see him first-hand, he’s a quality player.

“He’s not cheap though. I’d imagine there’d be alot of interest in Addin.

“He’s got to return home to Australia for family reasons, which he’s working through with the Warriors.

“He’s going to spend another year in New Zealand, I believe he’s making himself available for Australia in 2025.

“There’ll be a lot of people lining up for his signature that’s for sure.’’

Gould added that the Dogs forward pack was short of quality forwards.

“I think everyone knows that and sees that,’’ Gould said.

“The problem is that there’s nothing really on the market to buy.

“We don’t want to rush out and just spend the money.

“We’ve probably got a little bit more than people see. We’ve got some young blokes there that didn’t play a lot of football this year, and they (fans) would feel a bit better if we’d seen them play.

“We’re certainly looking (across the market), we’ve got money available.

“We realise that’s (forward pack) an issue for us and we’re working towards it, but I think we’re a bit better placed than what the average person is looking at there.

“Internally we’re confident that we’ve got some bloke there that can get the job done for us. No doubt we’re looking for an experienced middle forward though
He's played for the Kiwis, Tonga and now is wanting to play for the Kangaroos. crikey

AFB will be a huge loss no doubt. I get the impression on here that we need to have a big alpha zprop to carry the team. The main point has been missed. AFB was able to play longer minutes and be so effective was because of the workload taken up by particularly the other Forwards and outside backs. As such I will not mind someone coming in who will be that high work rste Prop. If he goes Dragons a part exchange for Dane zlaurie vould do.
You say we need a high work rate prop?....And then say Dane Laurie.....The fullback? Lol.

Taukeiaho not working out for the Bulldogs opens them up to look at AFB. I do wonder what would have happened if Taukeiaho did work out if Gould would have tried to fit them both in or ended up giving Taukeiaho the flick after a year.

For a guy who used to always complain about the salary cap and would say he doesn't understand all this players getting squeezed out due to the salary cap nonsense he does like to sign players and can work the system.

They have signed 9 players for 2024 and were active the last few years as well. We tend to get to a position we can purchase in bulk every few years if you look at 2018 or 2023. A few years in between we were pretty active but that may have been down to a new coach and being stuck in Australia.

From our point of view he's going to be tough to replace. He plays big minutes and gets through a lot of work. It would almost need two players if we could use the money wisely.

He's played for the Kiwis, Tonga and now is wanting to play for the Kangaroos. crikey
He’s mentioned wanting to play state of origin in the past, if he’s keen on playing for nsw there’s no better person to chum up to than gould. TPJ even got a game this year at his advice. Not sure if there’s a stand down after representing Kiwis or if he’s served it? If this eventuates for AFB, it says everything to me about his loyalty or lack of to bail on Tonga.

NRL 2024: David Klemmer dragged into Wests Tigers’ $4 million Jarome Luai pursuit

Former Test prop David Klemmer has emerged as an unsuspecting chess piece in the Wests Tigers $4 million pursuit of Jarome Luai.
As the Wests Tigers prepare to launch a club-defining bid for the Penrith premiership-winner, it can be revealed that Klemmer has been floated to rival clubs in an attempt to remove his $750,000-a-year contract from the club’s salary cap.

It’s understood neither Klemmer or his agent were aware of any attempts to offer the 29-year-old to rival clubs and that the passing of Klemmer’s name to potential suitors was made by a third party unrelated to the front-rower.

Klemmer is contracted at the Wests Tigers through until 2026, with Wests Tigers coach Benji Marshall rubber-stamping the deal for his move from Newcastle less than 12-months ago.

The former NSW State of Origin prop played 24-games for the Wests Tigers last season - the most number of games he’s played in one season since his debut year of 2013.

The shock contract twist has emerged amid increasing speculation across the game that Luai has told a selection of his closest teammates that he is leaning towards leaving the Panthers at the end of 2024.

Marshall has taken a personal interest in the chase for Luai and it is understood he has the support of the club’s board to go all-in for the Panthers star.

However, it is anticipated that Marshall will face stiff competition from the Bulldogs, who have a long list of connections to Luai through head coach Cameron Ciraldo, marquee-signing Stephen Crichton, backrower Viliame Kikau, NSW Origin talent Matt Burton and fresh recruit Jaemon Salmon.

Yet it is the Tigers that have got the edge after Marshall held a recent meeting with the three-time premiership-winner at his home in the inner-west of Sydney.

At the heart of the negotiations is Marshall’s preparedness to offer Luai the opportunity to be the chief playmaker, regardless of whether he plays in the six or seven jersey.

It is a position that many within the game believe Luai has craved, having spent his first grade career in the shadow of champion Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary.

Money is also a factor. It is understood the Wests Tigers are prepared to offer a deal worth close to $1.1 million per-season for Luai, who turns 27 in January.

Marshall will need full board approval to table the offer given the enormity of the contract. However, it is understood that is a mere formality.

An offer in excess of $1 million would blow Penrith out of the water - the Panthers have already indicated to Luai that they can only offer him a maximum of $850,000 per season.

The Tigers have signed veteran half Aidan Sezer for 2024 only, but have invested heavily in recruiting Dragons half Jayden Sullivan and also former Manly rising star Latu Fainu.

The Wests Tigers also have high hopes for teenager Lachlan Galvin, who was a star at this year’s Australian Schoolboys carnival.

Luai, who has played seven matches for NSW and 11 appearances for Samoa, is also seen as a mentor to the likes of Sullivan, Faini and Galvin.

The Wests Tigers are also leaning on their connection to Luai through former Penrith teammates Api Koroisau, Brent Naden and Charlie Staines.

David Klemmer has been floated to rivals. Picture: NRL Photos
David Klemmer has been floated to rivals. Picture: NRL Photos
Luai was intending to return to Penrith on Wednesday to step-up his rehabilitation from recent shoulder surgery.

He is racing the clock to be fit for the three-time premiers pre-season fixtures and opening round clash against Melbourne at AAMI Park.

Luai is one of the few playmakers on the open market at the end of 2024, giving him the whip hand in talks with interested clubs.

North Queensland’s Tom Dearden is also up for grabs and it is believed the Bulldogs also hold an interest in the Maroons star, although it would take something special to convince him to leave the Cowboys.

Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary has also entered the final year of his contract, although he is expected to sign an extension for at least one season to stay at Bondi Junction.

Reactions: kos
Back