Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

Poor. Personally I think a lot rest with the Budget…. it will be interesting to see if all the job cuts have actually made any difference to the government debt. Personally, I think the last election, Labour were pleased to lose. They knew the debt hole they’d left the country in but, I think they were too scared to make the calls that would make a difference.

Luxon needs to show more in terms of leadership to keep the coalition parties under control. I think National gave into too many demands of Act and NZ First. They’ve certainly made mistakes with cancelling projects and initiatives of the previous government without having alternatives in place. The line to trust them that they’ve got something in the works will only satisfy the swing voters for so long.

Still prepared to wait a bit longer as I think the hole they’ve found themselves in is going to take longer than six months to pull the country out off. BUT, if people don’t stay feeling relief soon, I don’t see them getting a second term.

That said, if Labour had managed to win the last election, I think they would have had even less of an idea on how to improve things and they certainly wouldn’t have won the next election.

Some good points from Gordon Campbell here. Inflation was trending down and we’ve been sent into an extended manufactured recession that I’ve never seen people doing it as tough as they are at present. I recall your post at some time about your neighbour being a national politician or to the effect and how he mentioned to you that national comes in and restores things after labour governments have done terms, but I wonder if they restore it for people at the higher end of the spectrum in terms of their earnings and ownership? If you fall into that category you’re likely going to believe that to be the case, perhaps that’s why I see it as a fallacy? Things certainly don’t seem to aimed at relief for the average person or up and comer with such poor decisions as scrapping fhb’s grants amongst others. The world is in a post covid economic hangover

Last edited:

Some good points from Gordon Campbell here. Inflation was trending down and we’ve been sent into an extended manufactured recession that I’ve never seen people doing it as tough as they are at present. I recall your post at some time about your neighbour being a national politician or to the effect and how he mentioned to you that national comes in and restores things after labour governments have done terms, but I wonder if they restore it for people at the higher end of the spectrum in terms of their earnings and ownership? If you fall into that category you’re likely going to believe that to be the case, perhaps that’s why I see it as a fallacy? Things certainly don’t seem to aimed at relief for the average person or up and comer with such poor decisions as scrapping fhb’s grants amongst others. The world is in a post covid economic
Well said.

Privatisation and extraction of wealth is the aim, entrenching neoliberalism through a manufactured crisis.

I’ve never seen people doing it as tough as they are at present.
Does posting an article saying how rosy the country’s metrics are while at the same time saying you’ve personally never seen it as tough out there not highlight the reality?

We don’t have a manufactured recession because of govt issues. It’s real world economic issues forcing a reserve bank reaction because it’s the lesser of two evils.

If we let the economy steam along without addressing inflation we would be in a worse situation than with the reserve banks recession.

Inflation is the economy operating beyond capacity forcing businesses to fight over limited resources and labour - paying more but then passing on the higher prices in a no win situation. It has nothing to do with govt debt, tax, etc highlighted in the scoop article - although govt sector pay claims above 3%; increasing minimum wage above 3%, etc is Inflationary hence being responsibly contained.

Does posting an article saying how rosy the country’s metrics are while at the same time saying you’ve personally never seen it as tough out there not highlight the reality?

We don’t have a manufactured recession because of govt issues. It’s real world economic issues forcing a reserve bank reaction because it’s the lesser of two evils.

If we let the economy steam along without addressing inflation we would be in a worse situation than with the reserve banks recession.

Inflation is the economy operating beyond capacity forcing businesses to fight over limited resources and labour - paying more but then passing on the higher prices in a no win situation. It has nothing to do with govt debt, tax, etc highlighted in the scoop article - although govt sector pay claims above 3%; increasing minimum wage above 3%, etc is Inflationary hence being responsibly contained.
Here you go Wiz, from someone far more erudite than myself

Well said.

Privatisation and extraction of wealth is the aim, entrenching neoliberalism through a manufactured crisis.
I think that GrantR fully intended to run a fiscally responsible government…. until COVID absolutely stuffed that up. Despite some things like PPE, the length of the second lockdown and keeping MIQ going to long, the Ardern Government got most things right.

They did, however, overcook the economy and gave the banks to much money to throw around at extremely low interest rates.

I’m really quite centralist in my political thinking which is why I find the current economic discussions almost farcical….. National say the economy they inherited was in such bad shape, they need huge cutbacks in the government spending….. while still justifying tax cuts. While Labour say they left the economy is such a good state and the pain has been caused by National’s policies since the election and the economy can’t afford tax cuts.

The truth, I feel, is in the middle….. inflation and interest rates increased under Labour and National were never going to turn it around in six months. While, the country can’t afford tax cuts economically, politically National can’t afford not to give them as they were such a large part of their election promises.

The septic in me thinks that Labour deliberately ran the country down to make it harder for the adjustments in the tax thresholds to occur, the realist feels that the RBNZ is far more to blame than either the last government or this one, the property owner in one wants to see a level playing field with being a landlord to running any other business, the former renter wants expenses to landlords reduced so rents don’t go up so much, and the business owner/tax payer in me feels like it would be nice to get some relief an a time of real down turn.

I personally like some of the areas the government is moving in terms of tax but feel they’re missing out in others. I’ve always said that the tax thresholds need adjustment but that there should also be an adjustment to the higher tax rate or even a new one brought in at over $250,000 PA. I’d rather see an inheritance tax and the reintroduction of gift duty to help reduce inter generational wealth transfer over a wealth tax or CGT.

Where I think that Labour, the Maori Party and the Greens are wrong is looking at developing tax policies that will effect hundreds of thousands of Kiwi Families based on the Parker Report into the wealth of a hundred richest Kiwis.

The current government has moved too far in changing the Brightline point back to 2 years…. I’d rather have gone to five. And they also should remove the exemptions around new builds being not included in the Brightline rules….. all a speculator needs to do is buy a complying new build and then sell it within two years and they don’t have to pay tax on the capital gain…. all what Labour did was create a loophole for speculators to exploit.

Last edited:
Here you go Wiz, from someone far more erudite than myself
So from your source National, Labour and the reserve bank all agree we need a ‘manufactured’ recession to bring down inflation. But you know better?

All my real world economic overheating points still stand. And the article doesn’t provide an alternative.

Its actually wrong in says we need austerity to repay debt. Wrong. It’s to stop the govt running at a massive deficit and adding to the debt… before even worrying about repaying any.

Living within our means - NOT austerity.

Last edited:

Expect an emergency alert on your phone between 6 and 7 tonight. These are often tested but the wording in the article is very precise in the directions it’s giving. Likely nothing but makes you wonder if scientists are concerned about something? White Island is smouldering, but often is?
Between 6-7pm? Right when the Warriors are playing? Typical!

Can’t it wait?

I think that GrantR fully intended to run a fiscally responsible government…. until COVID absolutely stuffed that up. Despite some things like PPE, the length of the second lockdown and keeping MIQ going to long, the Ardern Government got most things right.

They did, however, overcook the economy and gave the banks to much money to throw around at extremely low interest rates.

I’m really quite centralist in my political thinking which is why I find the current economic discussions almost farcical….. National say the economy they inherited was in such bad shape, they need huge cutbacks in the government spending….. while still justifying tax cuts. While Labour say they left the economy is such a good state and the pain has been caused by National’s policies since the election and the economy can’t afford tax cuts.

The truth, I feel, is in the middle….. inflation and interest rates increased under Labour and National were never going to turn it around in six months. While, the country can’t afford tax cuts economically, politically National can’t afford not to give them as they were such a large part of their election promises.

The septic in me thinks that Labour deliberately ran the country down to make it harder for the adjustments in the tax thresholds to occur, the realist feels that the RBNZ is far more to blame than either the last government or this one, the property owner in one wants to see a level playing field with being a landlord to running any other business, the former renter wants expenses to landlords reduced so rents don’t go up so much, and the business owner/tax payer in me feels like it would be nice to get some relief an a time of real down turn.

I personally like some of the areas the government is moving in terms of tax but feel they’re missing out in others. I’ve always said that the tax thresholds need adjustment but that there should also be an adjustment to the higher tax rate or even a new one brought in at over $250,000 PA. I’d rather see an inheritance tax and the reintroduction of gift duty to help reduce inter generational wealth transfer over a wealth tax or CGT.

Where I think that Labour, the Maori Party and the Greens are wrong is looking at developing tax policies that will effect hundreds of thousands of Kiwi Families based on the Parker Report into the wealth of a hundred richest Kiwis.

The current government has moved too far in changing the Brightline point back to 2 years…. I’d rather have gone to five. And they also should remove the exemptions around new builds being not included in the Brightline rules….. all a speculator needs to do is buy a complying new build and then sell it within two years and they don’t have to pay tax on the capital gain…. all what Labour did was create a loophole for speculators to exploit.
Instead of stinging the younger generation we need to be going after the boomers, they have creamed everything and had it the easiest over their time, implement straight away a means based pension so these boomers with two or three houses don’t get the pension, or sit at a base rate. They have had it too good for two long.

Thanks for the thoughts Mike, I agree with most of them myself

This too:
1716682520851.png

We cannot afford a tax cut. All of the cuts we're seeing, the majority of damage being caused is to pay for tax cuts (bribe) that largely benefit the already wealthy in our society.

This also reduces the tax intake which then further generates problems all throughout society as funding is cancelled and withdrawn.

Which also feeds into a "Government is failing, private does better, we must sell off" narrative.

Fiscally reckless, absolutely immoral and detrimental to the majority of New Zealanders.

How do I know this? This is a well worn pattern of neoliberalism and we've been here before. It was hugely damaging then, and it is now.

This too:
View attachment 7482

We cannot afford a tax cut. All of the cuts we're seeing, the majority of damage being caused is to pay for tax cuts (bribe) that largely benefit the already wealthy in our society.

This also reduces the tax intake which then further generates problems all throughout society as funding is cancelled and withdrawn.

Which also feeds into a "Government is failing, private does better, we must sell off" narrative.

Fiscally reckless, absolutely immoral and detrimental to the majority of New Zealanders.

How do I know this? This is a well worn pattern of neoliberalism and we've been here before. It was hugely damaging then, and it is now.
Found this interesting...especially when it gets down to the part about his solutions. Hopefully it opens for y'all.

Expect an emergency alert on your phone between 6 and 7 tonight. These are often tested but the wording in the article is very precise in the directions it’s giving. Likely nothing but makes you wonder if scientists are concerned about something? White Island is smouldering, but often is?
If we're down by 30 at 7 o'clock I'm all for calling off the game, it's an emergency.

Last edited:
I’ll watch out for you next time I’m in Tauranga. You’ll be in the blue make NZ great again cap
Hope you don't leave it too long. If the mining that's mooted via fast track for the peninsula goes ahead there won't be much ground underneath/ beneath anywhere to hold up what's on top (think earthquake, weather etc).

Hope you don't leave it too long. If the mining that's mooted via fast track for the peninsula goes ahead there won't be much ground underneath/ beneath anywhere to hold up what's on top (think earthquake, weather etc).
Mining and extraction uses less than 0.0015% of land in NZ.

Much better return per hectare and for NZ than say forestry with all the slash issues.

Mining and extraction uses less than 0.0015% of land in NZ.

Much better return per hectare and for NZ than say forestry with all the slash issues.
Returns for nz? You might want to ask Taranaki about that.
Regardless, the consent being requested that I mentioned isn't tiddlywinks & is worth billions apparently. Very little of which will see the light of day for the average kiwi...except perhaps sinkholes like in Waihi, pea? (,Perhaps?)
Their big sell is they'll hardly be seen, not much impact on the whenua te mea te mea. But the guts of it is they will dig in
underground from miles away
and mine many hectares
underground. Out of site, out of
mind...
I'll try to find the link and post it.

Back