Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, I don't believe so.
I can't imagine premier house is uninhabitable though, so if you don't take the accommodation on offer, you should lose your entitlement. After all, that is what happens to all HNZ tenants. Don't like the house, too bad, next please.
Luxon is going to cut Govt spending in many areas and I agree with most of that, but, he needs to lead by example and do the right thing.
Hipkins, when asked why he wouldn't start at Premier House said it was for two reasons.... firstly, the state of the house but also the extra cost in terms of staff and security required to be there if he was there full time. It was suggested on the radio this morning from a former Premier House senior staffer that having the PM and family in fulltime residence there adds around $2-2.5 mil per year running the place. Perhaps $53,000 to the PM isn't such a bad use of public money after all?

Is Luxon recieving this any different from former transport minister telling us to use public transport while admitting he only used it when it was convenient? Or former Auckland mayor, Len Brown, riding the train to work with the rest of us while his mayoral car followed alongside on the motorway? Or Greens MP's continuously talking about the benefits of intercity train travel over flying for the environment, yet, before the election, I flew from Wellington to Auckland on the same flight as three Green party MP's including co-leader Marama Davidson?

Or, again, we decide to only talk about Luxon because he's rich?

It's not because he's rich. He's the PM, and the first in 34+ years to take the optional allowance... so fuck him, he deserves to be pilloried for it.
Again, rightly or wrongly, he's also the first PM in 34 plus years to live in a rental accommodation when in Wellington instead of at Premier House or his Wellington based family home.

Hipkins, when asked why he wouldn't start at Premier House said it was for two reasons.... firstly, the state of the house but also the extra cost in terms of staff and security required to be there if he was there full time. It was suggested on the radio this morning from a former Premier House senior staffer that having the PM and family in fulltime residence there adds around $2-2.5 mil per year running the place. Perhaps $53,000 to the PM isn't such a bad use of public money after all?

Is Luxon recieving this any different from former transport minister telling us to use public transport while admitting he only used it when it was convenient? Or former Auckland mayor, Len Brown, riding the train to work with the rest of us while his mayoral car followed alongside on the motorway? Or Greens MP's continuously talking about the benefits of intercity train travel over flying for the environment, yet, before the election, I flew from Wellington to Auckland on the same flight as three Green party MP's including co-leader Marama Davidson?

You're really stuck on this 'only getting shit because he's rich' line.... Are you jealous of him? I'm not.
So Luxon doesn't have any security detail with him when he's at the rented apartment he owns?
Aren't we all saying some of the benefits seem complete bs and we shouldn't have them?

Reactions: j_p
Again, rightly or wrongly, he's also the first PM in 34 plus years to live in a rental accommodation when in Wellington instead of at Premier House or his Wellington based family home.
Lol, he's living in one of his other 'homes'.

Reactions: j_p
You're really stuck on this 'only getting shit because he's rich' line.... Are you jealous of him? I'm not.
So Luxon doesn't have any security detail with him when he's at the rented apartment he owns?
Aren't we all saying some of the benefits seem complete bs and we shouldn't have them?
You do realise that it is easier to secure an apartment than a 1.5Ha property? You do realise that number of staff required to run a mansion is different to that to run an apartment (which is probably only a cleaning service and not fulltime staff).

We get this from both parties when they get voted out. An issue comes up, we were going to get to that.

Not sure if I originally read this article and it was updated, or if it was another one. There were quotes from Willie Jackson saying he was going to action this when he was the Minister. Politicians lying has been a meme before memes were a thing. Willie Jackson is probably the biggest liar of all of them. In the election, he made up National policies and the consequences for them. He even admitted he gets flustered and makes shit up.

I would live in premier house for nothing. It is a stately house, who cares if the decor is dated and the curtains faded.
I don't believe it costs $2-$2.5 million to run it yearly, how is that possible?
I am not defending any of the other MP'S or Len Brown.
Luxon is up for more scrutiny as the PM. Everyone knows he is rich and he should have enough nous to realise he will be judged accordingly.
Wasn't John Key advising him pre election? Can't have touched on this subject or Luxon just wants every last cent he is entitled to.

You do realise that it is easier to secure an apartment than a 1.5Ha property? You do realise that number of staff required to run a mansion is different to that to run an apartment (which is probably only a cleaning service and not fulltime staff).
Of course. If it's such a dog, sell it. Refit a room/area within the Parliament district to host events. Attach a studio room to it for the PM. ;)
Luxon owns an apartment in Wellington, we shouldn't then be supplementing him for that property. The other PMs saw the optics of this, but not old mate.

Doesn't Mrs Luxon own a vacumn cleaned and a dish cloth?

Lol, he's living in one of his other 'homes'.
The thing that I don't like is that he, and fourteen other MP's, have set up their affairs that they don't personally own their Wellington properties they're claiming for but that they are owned by related companies or trusts meaning they're able to rent them.

Considering members of parliament from three parties (and two of those parties are currently in government) were doing this last year, I don't see the rules being changed to stop it anytime soon.

The thing that I don't like is that he, and fourteen other MP's, have set up their affairs that they don't personally own their Wellington properties they're claiming for but that they are owned by related companies or trusts meaning they're able to rent them.

Considering members of parliament from three parties (and two of those parties are currently in government) were doing this last year, I don't see the rules being changed to stop it anytime soon.
Why didn't Luxo mention it as part of his austerity mini budget, everything else is getting a chop. "We are going to slim down the MP benefits."

Doesn't Mrs Luxon own a vacumn cleaned and a dish cloth?
From when he was talking about what he has for breakfast (when reporters were trying to find out how much he spent on breakfast), it sounds as if he's in Wellington most of the time by himself. Anyway, from what I've seen, I don't she'd clean very often... too posh to do that!

Luxon coming from business where you get an opportunity to get something paid for you take it and charge it back to the business. Looks like a habit that is too hard to break. Yes, people take advantage when in the public service as well.

But being in opposition and preaching about wasted government money and how you will find savings. Then while in government you get questioned about claiming back expenses on your own house isn't a great look. Any opposition leader that critiques the government shouldn't then get questioned themselves.

I know the amount isn't a huge amount when talking about government expenses. But to the average New Zealander, it is. Here we are in a cost-of-living crisis and you have campaigned on turning it around and not wasting money. The general public who are struggling to pay expenses or living in motels see you living what they will see as a lavish life style or claiming more in expenses than they earn.

Will Wintson question him about the baubles of office?

Why didn't Luxo mention it as part of his austerity mini budget, everything else is getting a chop. "We are going to slim down the MP benefits."
I don't like hypocrisy, fullstop..... whether it's a PM claiming austerity for government departments but not doing it himself.... or him being the only one called out for doing what 14 other MP's were doing last year.

More gems from dear leader.

1709249360925.png

More gems from dear leader.

View attachment 5514
Politicians are like salesmen we have at work or I have experienced from other vendors. Politicians will say all of the nice things to get elected. Our sales guys will make promises on what products can deliver or how it will work so they get the sale. Hits the Engineers like myself and it's err yeah it doesn't do that.

The think with digital media and social media what you say can be collected. This looks like a case of saying nice soundbites to gain popularity. Saying all of that is one thing but it's easier now to get called out on them. Seen this in a few industries. Wait a minute you said this previously.

Luxon doesn't have verbal wriggle skills of Winston to get out of it. Or twist the allegations.

Key rubbed people the wrong way due to being wealthy. I can't recall him getting called out as much for statements or expenses etc compared to Luxon.

Back