General Mt Smart Stadium

Interesting now that a 20000 waterfront stadium is not big enough to host the Warriors?
Based on current performances you could fill it each week and perhaps charge more?
An 8000 max Nth Harbour stadium makes sense although still only the rugby team using it .
I wouldn’t spend anymore money on Eden Park.
Where would a decent cricket ground be located in Akld - Colin Maiden?

Is it just me or do other feel the same. Every time there's an article about stadiums you know what the outcome is going to be and who's driving that outcome (yes, Eden Park Trust Board) and the bit in-between is just click bait and to make the peasants feel good the they have been seen to be 'considered'. Really Auckland Councilors just want to be part of the Old Boys network unless they already are.

Eden Park has gone from a 2.0 to design to a 2.1. I know the cost of stadiums will keep going up but man the $1 billion they are talking about after their previous major upgrade would put it at a similar cost.

It looks like some money is going to be allocated to Mt Smart which is a huge change from about 10 years ago when the plan was to move the Warriors. The more we win and pack out the stadium will mean the more other venues will want to entice the club to move. It will also improve the Warriors bargaining position either to get a better deal or improvements for Mt Smart.

The improved public transport is also good to see.

Eden Park has gone from a 2.0 to design to a 2.1. I know the cost of stadiums will keep going up but man the $1 billion they are talking about after their previous major upgrade would put it at a similar cost.

It looks like some money is going to be allocated to Mt Smart which is a huge change from about 10 years ago when the plan was to move the Warriors. The more we win and pack out the stadium will mean the more other venues will want to entice the club to move. It will also improve the Warriors bargaining position either to get a better deal or improvements for Mt Smart.

The improved public transport is also good to see.
You talk about brown paper bags at the Roosters, if Eden Park gets the green light some very serious questions will have to be asked how and why!

Is it just me or do other feel the same. Every time there's an article about stadiums you know what the outcome is going to be and who's driving that outcome (yes, Eden Park Trust Board) and the bit in-between is just click bait and to make the peasants feel good the they have been seen to be 'considered'. Really Auckland Councilors just want to be part of the Old Boys network unless they already are.
Only difference now is we've got a new player, Foley's billions talk louder than the local old boys, albeit 20K seats is still 10K under what the wahs can fill in a good season.

I'd happily stay at Mt Smart, but they do need to improve the public transport options. Bit silly having a bus/train drop you off, then trek for 10 minutes to get to one of the Gates. If you're going to do that work anyway...If you can afford them, just take the car/get a cab right to whichever Gate.

Last edited:
Amazing what can be achieved with unfettered racism, indentured labour, and nebulous safety laws. cf every empire ever
Don't forget having one of the largest oil reserves in the world
If Luxon can get Air NZ to agree to service the motors in the Saudi’s naval patrol boats again, maybe they’ll build us a new Waterfront stadium ;)

A picture from the recent T20 clash match at bay oval. Am I the only one who thinks a flyover at Mount smart before kickoff would be pretty epic? You see it over in the states before most games (nfl).

IMG_7549.jpeg

Those parking in private car parking around Mt Smart, be aware that there are scammers in the area, as these people going to the Foo Fighters found out.

They’ve been discussing this topic on ZB this morning ad one of the callers spoke of an older gentleman who used to collect one at the Auckland Zoo Carpark. He always welcomed people, told them where to park ad said for them to secure their cars. The Zoo even built a little shelter for him. He’d be there seven days a week…. for something like 15 years.

Then one day, he didn’t show up for work and some of the regulars were worried about him. They asked the Zoo staff why he was there and they said they didn’t know because he’d been employed by Auckland City Council. They contacted the Council who said they didn’t know because he’d been employed by the Zoo.

The cheeky ole bugger had been conning everyone for over a decade and no one even knows who he was.

We turned up for a game in a small town one time and these boys were trying to get people to pay for parking. Basically just standing at the car park with a bucket.

Had to pay if you want to see the game. We told them we were playing so without us there wouldn't be a game, that would take away the need to pay for parking. Later my mate tells the opposition captain his son was out with a bucket earlier. I still remember his laugh and response "Cheeky little shit".

The Panthers just released images and info about the upgrade to their stadium.

It's a real shame we don't seem to have the political will power to sort these issues over here.
NSW really has some amazing stadiums.

The Panthers just released images and info about the upgrade to their stadium.

It's a real shame we don't seem to have the political will power to sort these issues over here.
NSW really has some amazing stadiums.
Speaking from someone who just moved from Auckland to Sydney, the way they treat grounds here compared to Auckland is like night and day. Ridiculous.

Back