Post Match 2023 Broncos vs Warriors - Week 3 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• E

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you think staying with what we saw last night is best for league and the integrity of the game then you are in a minority of 1.

It is almost certain that in time forward passes in scoring movements will be subject to review
No I don't think it's good for the integrity of the game. I also don't think the alternative is better though as seen when it was allowed I think 2001 was the last season. There are clear and obvious issues with the bunker ruling on forward passes and I'm obviously not in a minority of 1 on that otherwise it would be implemented already and we wouldn't be having this debate.

In time it may well be that they will be subject to review but the technology will need to improve to support it and the policy will need to be very clear on its wording.

Bro. It was cos they were physically dominant. I could see it from mid tier in the stands. We were getting rocked back on attack and defense.
In attack? Absolutely.

They were dominant at times, and others where we were poking our nose through and then just getting slept on. Too much is missed live that you see on TV relating to the ruck.

Reactions: Ref
If that forward pass was against the Roosters or Souths, they would be far more outrage. The media aren’t digging in as much this time round because it’s a Kiwi side that was dudded. Annersley’s explainstion will be “it was the wrong call” and that’d be it

Okay, in the cold light of day the morning after....

Name (or show) me a worse forward pass that was allowed, within the last 20 years.

That was diabolical lol. Still can't believe it was given
The closest I can think of was the one Walters threw to Riki also against us earlier in the year.
Same two teams - same team on the receiving end.

Warning warning Warning
This post is not about forward passes so feel free to skip reading it

Kevin waiters out coached Webster last night
They played a heifer skeiter brand of jungle ball knowing full well we don’t defend it well
Had they got into a grind match with us then there was a 50 percent chance we win

If we suspected we might need a different kicker than SJ then Pompey should have taken up kicking at game 10 the season and not game 23

Your goal kicker in the finals needs to be tried and tested and had a few off nights under his belt that he battled through

Was jazz really the better choice over bunty in the end

All learnings for Webster in his rookie year
He nailed the regular season but has points to ponder on from the finals

I also felt that throughout the year Webster was too good at interviews and gave away too much information
Next year don’t try to be a good interviewee just use cliches like all the other coaches
Ivan Cleary gives away nothing and sounds boring by comparison
This week leading up to the game Webster told the press we would be kicking to corners and getting into the grind
Well probably every knee that anyway but why confirm it to Brisbane

Loose lips sink ships

Next year use press conferences and interviews to praise players and make captain obvious level of analysis

I also felt that throughout the year Webster was too good at interviews and gave away too much information
Next year don’t try to be a good interviewee just use cliches like all the other coaches
Ivan Cleary gives away nothing and sounds boring by comparison
This week leading up to the game Webster told the press we would be kicking to corners and getting into the grind
Well probably every knee that anyway but why confirm it to Brisbane

Loose lips sink ships

Next year use press conferences and interviews to praise players and make captain obvious level of analysis

Totally agree. While I appreciate the honesty and openness ,, he could probably hold back on giving away the game plan. I know teams can watch the tapes and figure it out themselves, but when you’re openly telling everyone you strategy is to kick to the corners, and hold them there for the set it’s a complete dead giveaway…

Thanks for that Beastmode interesting we both spotted the same thing.

In terms of season review of Webster here are some decisions I would have done differently
Many of these would have been inferior decisions to what he did

I would have put tohu Harris to prop all year and played jazz or Barnett at lock
And barnett and niukore as my two second rowers and Curran as my second row cover Jackson ford would not have been in my 17 unless injuries
I would have put Dylan walker at centre ( this would have been a bad move )
I would not have signed tmm and would have had Metcalf as my number 6 with Asi as my back up
I felt there was no pecking order difference between Metcalf and tmm while asi knows he is a back up
I would have taken the money i saved on tmm and gotten a $300 to $400k prop if I the salary cap allowed
Sj would have been my goal kicker last night unless his calf didn’t allow

I would have played the first twenty minutes with the new guy prop and Harris and then brought on afb to dominate the middle of the match from the bench . This also would not have been a good idea compared to how Webster expertly used afb

And I would not have given sironen any game time unless desperate

1 cnk
2 dallin
3 Pompey
4 walker
5 Montoya
6 Metcalf
7 Johnson
8 extra prop with tmm money
9 Egan
10 Harris
11 Barnett
12 niukore
13 jazz
14 Curran
15 afb
16 bunty
17 lussick

18 tom ale
19 berry
20 tuapiki
21 asi
22 volkman
23 Jackson ford
24 Ed kosi
25 sironen
26 Williame

Last edited:
Totally agree. While I appreciate the honesty and openness ,, he could probably hold back on giving away the game plan. I know teams can watch the tapes and figure it out themselves, but when you’re openly telling everyone you strategy is to kick to the corners, and hold them there for the set it’s a complete dead giveaway…
Isn’t kicking to the corners and defending captain obvious stuff that all teams do?

This is superficial first year playing as a junior game plan strategy level isn’t it?

Which teams try anything different?

If you watch Walshes break to set up Mam in the first half, the lead up to that try is dirty.
Carrigan takes a hit up and gets stopped dead, in the tackle he grabs Tohu at marker and pulls him over. That leaves 12 in the line. Flegler takes the next hit up, engages Bernett and Johnson and gets the offload away. That leaves a 3 on 3 on the right edge and Walsh steaming onto it.
If they don't illegally take out Tohu he wraps up the offload. I don't believe playing like that is in the spirit of the game.

If you watch Walshes break to set up Mam in the first half, the lead up to that try is dirty.
Carrigan takes a hit up and gets stopped dead, in the tackle he grabs Tohu at marker and pulls him over. That leaves 12 in the line. Flegler takes the next hit up, engages Bernett and Johnson and gets the offload away. That leaves a 3 on 3 on the right edge and Walsh steaming onto it.
If they don't illegally take out Tohu he wraps up the offload. I don't believe playing like that is in the spirit of the game.
Tohu couldnt get back in the defensive line cos he couldnt run.

Reactions: kos
Isn’t kicking to the corners and defending captain obvious stuff that all teams do?

This is superficial first year playing as a junior game plan strategy level isn’t it?

Which teams try anything different?
Yeah Wizards My thoughts also. Basic long time strategy of all teams.
Jack Gibson way back in the day used to say " kick to wherever the seagulls are "

very comfortable with either team losing the GF, hopefully someone gets screwed over by the refs for the drama. the officials might finally turn on penrith for this one, the heirachy won't want the brisbane lions to win, while the donkeys loose.

I like Ivan but his players get away with so much and are boringly machine like, brisbane are objectively more entertaining, but brenko's superiority is absolutely not something we want back in the game, its a been a peaceful 8 years of them not featuring at the pointy end.

I know I will get shot down but if Tohu cant get right, the question is............ Do we replace him.
We cant have guys walking around half cocked

Because he was put on his back in a tackle that was complete
Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. As it was caused by Carrigan the correct thing to do would have been to stop the clock and allow Harris to get back up and square at marker. Carrigan didn't win the right to a quick play the ball by ragdolling Harris. A small thing in the full context of the game but still frustrating when points were scored so soon afterwards.

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. As it was caused by Carrigan the correct thing to do would have been to stop the clock and allow Harris to get back up and square at marker. Carrigan didn't win the right to a quick play the ball by ragdolling Harris. A small thing in the full context of the game but still frustrating when points were scored so soon afterwards.
It's the sort of thing that would've been called back during the regular season. The refs are clearly told to judge the ruck differently in finals and that doesn't help a game plan that relies on generating momentum off quick ptb.

Back