• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Social 🌼 Life’s Lessons

Sounds like we've all got gout to look forward to when we get decrepit enough then
Ouch!

I was told uric acid is really high = gout candidate

I’ve got lower back ache problem = sciatica!

My blood pressure is high enough for stage 2 hypertension.

Bad cholesterol is too high…

Seriously all over this has happened in the last 12 months. No joke. Fit as a fiddle before that. Or so I thought … 🤷🏻‍♂️ old age is a B*tch!!

What next dementia?? 😂

NZWarriors.com
Ouch!

Seriously all over this has happened in the last 12 months. No joke. Fit as a fiddle before that. Or so I thought … 🤷🏻‍♂️ old age is a B*tch!!

What next dementia?? 😂
Uric acid blood pressure cholesterol all fixable
Uric acid -see diestician-medic overhaul diet
Blood pressure -see medic go on drugs
Back pain -manageable -lose weight exercise see physio get remedial massage/myotherapy frequently.

Last time I got gout two years ago also diagnosed with diabetes round same time,
Gave up grog changed diet went on drugs lost more weight.
Uric acid ditto changed diet ok now.
I have a disease which produces too much cholesterol -on drugs -managed.

All the above require dedication and determination.

Yesterday my boss finished up at a community transport org where I work as a volunteer driver -as a mark of respect I went along to the pub farewell.

I had four Heineken zero beers. Three of my co workers mercilessly jibed me.
Did they charge you for those was one smart remark.
It farks me off so much I just avoid occassions like this.
When I go back to Nz I get the same crap from my family about alcohol and also sugar foods.

So it aint easy.
But its not that hard if you can be determined and look after yourself even if it means falling out with the sheep.

I find in times of despair remember the good times. Small little things help. If your head is filled with worry and hatred it only gets worse. The ability to block out the negative thinking is really hard. But it can be done. I have a picture/image sketched in my head of my kids when they were younger. I turn to this image whatever I feel down. The small things help. Plenty of sun is also underrated. Basking in the morning sun by the porch used to be my weekend thing when single . Cup of coffee. A book or the newspaper. A good time to self reflect and appreciate the good things in life. In todays hectic world, everyone is in a rush…

Ouch!

What next dementia?? 😂
Shit that's a bit of a sudden wakeup call bro, few changes in diet in order now?

Has this brush with mortality caused your newfound calm outlook and zen-like positivity?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Shit that's a bit of a sudden wakeup call bro, few changes in diet in order now?

Has this brush with mortality caused your newfound calm outlook and zen-like positivity?

Could well be my woke nonbinary soul mate! 😂

I’ve come to the realisation life’s too short to be angry.

And I’m gonna need some drugs to fix all this pain 😂 💊

Could well be my woke nonbinary soul mate! 😂

I’ve come to the realisation life’s too short to be angry.

And I’m gonna need some drugs to fix all this pain 😂 💊
But who's going to fly into uncontrollable rages after a bad loss and start the sack everyone threads now?

I've learnt a few things about life and myself in the last 10-15 years that have been of benefit.
Here are some of them.
Experiences from childhood and the thoughts and mantras evolved at that time stay with you. This can be both good and not so good. For me, childhood was solely about survival. Stay ahead of the situation, plan, avoid situations, avoid talking, physical presence and that kind of stuff. I always defaulted to the worst case scenario and that was being killed. Work back from there each time.
I didn't form any emotional bonds with anyone, so my emotional development was virtually non existant. So too was physical touch.
My experience of hugging and physical contact was with dogs, not humans. So I only associated physical touch with sex, once I reached pubity and there after.
I married young, it lasted for 28years until one day I simply walked out. I had not had any feelings for my wife for the previous 20 years but I had three kids to raise and I was the sole income earned all that time. I had a plan for financial independence and to retire early and I pursued this all that time with some success but at a huge personal cost which I now understand.
So my life from 20-50 was much like a business contract. I built a life within my marriage. I didn't stray, didn't argue much, I just ignored anything I chose to, built impregnable walls. I thought I was doing well.
As Frank W has mentioned, sport and regular physical training is very important. I lifted weights for 30 years and played lots of tennis and I'm certain that without this outlet, my defences would not have lasted as long as they did.
I also binge drank a few times a year, until collapsing usually. This started at 14 or 15 years of age. I've learnt this was a form of escape.
I've learnt life is made up of various stages. In my mid 40's I started to reflect on a few things, particularly my view of my mother who abandoned me at the age of four and was killed shortly after, didn't know my father. Anyway, I had no feelings for her, I didn't know her and that was fine until I started wondering what a life she must have had and perhaps she did her best. This caused me some upset over for a few years and was the initial crack in my defence.
I guess what I'm saying is you can only get so far on faulty foundations in life and it has taken me far to long to realise that. Eventually, the house of cards will come crashing down.
I regret not backing myself more, taking a few more risks in business. I regret staying in a stagnant marriage because I placed false value on matrimonial assets, kids and routine.
I regret not understanding what true love is and happiness and denying myself of it.
I've told plenty of people to fuck off and can't remember one I regret.
Great post Dean, more than a few similarities.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If I could go back to my younger self and teach him a life lesson. I'd go back to 1993-1994 when I was obsessed with this new rugby league club coming into the comp and I was hanging on every signing.

Or 1995 just before the first game.

Pull my young self to one side and say you are in for years of frustration. Better off taking up yoga or reading each night.

Your mental health would be a lot better. Also less anger issues.

Someone mentioned earlier about saving/investing for retirement. That is a big one.

I know a lot of New Zealanders life pay check to pay check. That is another issue. A lot just keep their money in the bank. A lot don't understand Kiwisaver. When covid first hit I'd see a lot of friends complain the government was taking their money. Like a lot of people they'd just be on a default scheme. I lost more at the time being on a higher risk fund.

Even know doing some investing and having a retirement scheme I wish I did a lot of it earlier.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Surround yourself with good people. Good people will support you. They will listen and they will have your back. If you surround yourself with toxic people. At some point it’s going to go tits up. 🙌

Someone mentioned earlier about saving/investing for retirement. That is a big one.

I know a lot of New Zealanders life pay check to pay check. That is another issue. A lot just keep their money in the bank. A lot don't understand Kiwisaver. When covid first hit I'd see a lot of friends complain the government was taking their money. Like a lot of people they'd just be on a default scheme. I lost more at the time being on a higher risk fund.

Even know doing some investing and having a retirement scheme I wish I did a lot of it earlier.
Recently I caught up with my mates from school, some from primary school. There is a group of about twelve of us. None of us work in the professions and we all come from working class backgrounds.
Only two of us, me and one other are retired. The rest all work but they all want to retire.
Here is their dilemma. They all own their own homes ( in Auckland ), most freehold or close to it. They love American classic cars and motorbikes and all own at least one. Their recreation revolves around cars, harley davidsons, going to the pub with the boys and lunch out with the wives most Sundays. They enjoy their lifestyle and can afford it but not if they retire.
To retire, they will have to sell their houses and downsize considerably to extract enough capital to supplement the pension for the rest of their days. Even then, the lifestyle will probably have to be cut back.
Mother nature will force all of them to retire in the near future. Age and alcohol consumption will see to that.
The key to retiring is having passive income to supplement the pension. On top of a freehold house, I reckon you need $500k minimum in kiwisaver to retire at 65, or income of about $30k pa, calculating you live for another 20years.

Surround yourself with good people. Good people will support you. They will listen and they will have your back. If you surround yourself with toxic people. At some point it’s going to go tits up. 🙌
This is a really good tip.

If I was to reach into my top drawer of socks for a good tip it would be this.
Everybody when they are 8 years old wants to be Shaun Johnson or Richard Hadlee or Eminem or Prime minister. Kudos to the 0.0001% of people who make it that far. The rest of us don't make it and we feel dissapointed about ourselves during a mid life crisis. Then suddenly we realise there is a silver medal up for grabs that is nearly as good as being Richard Hadlee. And the silver medal in life that we all settle for but are proud of because we are still on the Olympic Dias is being a throroughly good person. The times you will most proud of yourself will be when common sense told you to cut a corner and it would have been the most "Sensible" thing to do and the most "reasonable" thing to do. But you didn't do it at much cost to yourself in the short term, you took the morally correct road and years later those moments are worth their weight in gold. Better than representing NZ at the Gabba and taking a 5 wicket haul.

This is a really good tip.

If I was to reach into my top drawer of socks for a good tip it would be this.
Everybody when they are 8 years old wants to be Shaun Johnson or Richard Hadlee or Eminem or Prime minister. Kudos to the 0.0001% of people who make it that far. The rest of us don't make it and we feel dissapointed about ourselves during a mid life crisis. Then suddenly we realise there is a silver medal up for grabs that is nearly as good as being Richard Hadlee. And the silver medal in life that we all settle for but are proud of because we are still on the Olympic Dias is being a throroughly good person. The times you will most proud of yourself will be when common sense told you to cut a corner and it would have been the most "Sensible" thing to do and the most "reasonable" thing to do. But you didn't do it at much cost to yourself in the short term, you took the morally correct road and years later those moments are worth their weight in gold. Better than representing NZ at the Gabba and taking a 5 wicket haul.

I guess it goes both ways. To have good friends you need to be good yourself. You have to be willing to support your friends through the hard times and share the rewards during the good. People wonder why do I not have any good friends. First ask yourself are you a good friend to others. Because if you are, the very qualities you are looking for in friends. They are looking for in you.

I try to surround myself with good people. But most of them are idiots. 😂

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back