General Your 2024 lineup

Mind blowing aye. Not being a dick but it does seem like it’s those who know rugby league and those who don’t. You’re not going to put a 19y old over two guys who actually played relatively well, one gained NZA selection. It’s a no brainer.
This. And one of them played every minute of last season - one of only six players in the NRL to do so.

Anyone watched a training, or can identify from pics, to get a gauge on what side RTS has predominately been training on?

Said it before, it was a mistake resigning Pompey.

Won’t be first choice by season end even if he does make it week one.

Holds up development, uses up a squad spot and Pompey will be playing reserve grade while first grade standard.

I’m picking Ali and RTS as our centres by year end.
Even if Pomps is in Reggies, how many clubs have injury cover of his defensive caliber? The clubs that do have an NRL ready reggie like Pompey are the likes of the Roosters and the Storm, maybe Panthers and Broncos.....

There is s a theme here....top four sides.....the Warriors by keeping Pompey are behaving like a top four club. He costs fk all for what he can do.

Sure lots of clubs have a dozen back rowers and spare wheels for lots of positions, but we are talking about an NRL center, a thinking mans chess piece, a center is the apex defensive reader in Rugby League, add to that the fact that NZ struggles to even import good centers let alone breed them.

Even if Pomps is in Reggies, how many clubs have injury cover of his defensive caliber? The clubs that do have an NRL ready reggie like Pompey are the likes of the Roosters and the Storm, maybe Panthers and Broncos.....

There is s a theme here....top four sides.....the Warriors by keeping Pompey are behaving like a top four club. He costs fk all for what he can do.

Sure lots of clubs have a dozen back rowers and spare wheels for lots of positions, but we are talking about an NRL center, a thinking mans chess piece, a center is the apex defensive reader in Rugby League, add to that the fact that NZ struggles to even import good centers let alone breed them.
I’m not saying that picture I was referring to in the previous post makes it a done deal RTS plays on SJ’s side, but in saying that, a massive threat like RTS running off him I could see why there could be thinking around that. I think Berry signed until 2026 is an indication they see him as a long term member of that next wave coming through and could switch sides? But I think he’ll be looked at to either displace Pompey or be his successor after his contract runs out, vice versa Leiataua and RTS. Pompey understated though when he’s got better defensive five eighth on that side and has the skills to either shift the ball or willing to hold it and crash into the defensive line I reckon. My round 1 team would be
CNK
DWZ
RTS
Pompey
Montoya
TMM(if not under an injury cloud)CHT(bolter?)
SJ
AFB
Egan
Niukore
Capewell
Ford
Tohu

Walker
Jazz
Barnett
Ale/Bunty/Zyon Maiu’u(later in the season or if he’s earned his way into the 17).

Could change with AFB situation or off season injuries.

Pompey can cover both sides of the field too. He was in arguably career best form at his less familiar right Centre position during our opening 10 games. On the right side he bagged 2 Tries, 5 Try Assists, 30 Tackle Breaks, 9 Offloads, 19 Missed Tackles & we got away wins in Townsville, Shark Park & ran both the Storm & Panthers close. He played 17 games on the left side for 3 Tries, 6 Try Assists, 39 Tackle Breaks, 10 Offloads & 42 Missed Tackles.
I don't mind who starts on the other side to RTS but seeing as Berry has never been selected ahead of Pompey I don't think it's as clear cut as others believe

Pompey can cover both sides of the field too. He was in arguably career best form at his less familiar right Centre position during our opening 10 games. On the right side he bagged 2 Tries, 5 Try Assists, 30 Tackle Breaks, 9 Offloads, 19 Missed Tackles & we got away wins in Townsville, Shark Park & ran both the Storm & Panthers close. He played 17 games on the left side for 3 Tries, 6 Try Assists, 39 Tackle Breaks, 10 Offloads & 42 Missed Tackles.
I don't mind who starts on the other side to RTS but seeing as Berry has never been selected ahead of Pompey I don't think it's as clear cut as others believe
Great problem to have. Not sure I remember a time recently where there has been so much discussion about who will be playing Centre. Nice to have real options. I tend to agree about a RTS and Pompey start although if Berry does well at the trials he might be able to start.

I wouldn't be surprised to see CHT as our starting 6 after a 5 or 6 rounds.
TMM is better but who knows how long he is going to last.
Metcalf is a talent with the ball but winners pick on defense first.

My two cents

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Pompey
4. RTS
5. Montoya
6. Metcalf
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Niukore
11. Ford
12. Capewell
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Ale
16. Barnett
17. Lussick

Walker for Harris, Ale / Barnett for AFB / Niukore, Lussick for Egan. Ford and Capewell can both go 80 mins and Walker (Lussick) is you backline cover.

We will have injuries and suspensions during the year so TMM, CHT, Bunty and Berry will all come in at stages. But this is my best team for round one.

I'm surprised everyone is picking Montoya. He's been great for us... until the 2nd half of the season where his standards slipped considerably. Kosi was going well before he got injured. For me Kosi ahead of Montoya, based on their most recent form.
I hope that the TMM \ Jaz form at the end of the season was due to being rushed back from injury. They were great in the first part if the season.

I'm surprised everyone is picking Montoya. He's been great for us... until the 2nd half of the season where his standards slipped considerably. Kosi was going well before he got injured. For me Kosi ahead of Montoya, based on their most recent form.
I hope that the TMM \ Jaz form at the end of the season was due to being rushed back from injury. They were great in the first part if the season.
I don’t think Montoyas form was as bad as it was made out to be at the back end of the year. He would still routinely give you 150m and 3 tackle breaks per game. The back 3 got through a lot of quality work all season.

Kosi is solid and developing but is not a tackle buster (averages 1 per game) and does not churn out the metres like Montoya does. He is a bigger body but that is not translating to more metres gained or quicker play the balls.

I think Montoya is safe to begin the season given the way Webster speaks so highly of him

I know stats don't tell the whole story and I can remember Montoya having a couple of bad weeks in the 2nd half of the year, but I had a bit of time to have a look at his stats from the first half of the year to the 2nd....quite interesting actually.

Montoya - 24 games in 2023 (not including finals)
First 12 games:
Meters 162pg (1940 total)
Tries 4
Errors 11
Missed tackles 23
Tackle breaks 39

Last 12 games
Meters 137pg (1655 total)
Tries 5
Error 14
Missed tackles 21
Tackle Breaks 40

Quite surprising actually as I probably would have considered it was a poorer 2nd half of the season for Montoya too, but actually everything was fairly even for him across the year really

I know stats don't tell the whole story and I can remember Montoya having a couple of bad weeks in the 2nd half of the year, but I had a bit of time to have a look at his stats from the first half of the year to the 2nd....quite interesting actually.

Montoya - 24 games in 2023 (not including finals)
First 12 games:
Meters 162pg (1940 total)
Tries 4
Errors 11
Missed tackles 23
Tackle breaks 39

Last 12 games
Meters 137pg (1655 total)
Tries 5
Error 14
Missed tackles 21
Tackle Breaks 40

Quite surprising actually as I probably would have considered it was a poorer 2nd half of the season for Montoya too, but actually everything was fairly even for him across the year really
Very interesting. He defo went through a 5 or so game period where he made a few errors and didn’t get as much good ball (when Metcalf played) then he really picked back up in the last few games, I guess his stats caught up haha

Very interesting. He defo went through a 5 or so game period where he made a few errors and didn’t get as much good ball (when Metcalf played) then he really picked back up in the last few games, I guess his stats caught up haha
That is interesting. It's the mistakes over that period you mentioned I remember. Oh well maybe he didn't pksy as badly as I thought.

Montoya over kosi fah sure. Kosi has not kicked on like I wanted and expected after regaining his confidence from an indifferent start. He is a big body but doesn't use it well enough, hardly ever breaks a tackle and isn't fast enough to beat anyone (or maybe just doesn't try to).

Can Berry play 4? That might just light up Montoya and our left side because Montoya will be at 5 again. RTS inside DWZ will have teams shook.
Looked sharp there against the Storm during the 2022 preseason putting Montoya over twice. He's looked all at sea when there in his 3'ish NRL games in that spot though

Last edited:
Back