Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This morning Bernard Hickey posted about three economists who did an independent analysis of Nationals proposed property tax on foreign buyers.
It is all bullshit, total bullshit

The new ‘Show Me The Money’ moment​

National’s foreign buyers tax ‘hole’ is not going away any time soon.

An independent report by three economists and housing researchers, Michael Reddell, Sam Warburton and Nick Goodall, demonstrates National has both under-estimated the likely number of houses to be sold to foreign buyers and over-estimated the likely price. See the full report below and

These attacks on the numbers are now metastasizing into a realisation the plan will push up house prices generally, particularly for those normally priced within bidding distance of $2 million. Christopher Luxon has again defended the figures as ‘rock solid’, but his arguments that home sellers below $2m would not increase their prices didn’t land well.
Heyzuess, why would anybody vote of national? Answer, cos you have to vote for somebody, and there is nobody else. :rolleyes:
If I was National, I would ask each economist to provide their historical forecasts (OCR, house prices etc), with a comparison with how they performed vs actuals.

If they were all as good as they think, they wouldn’t be still working for a crust as economists

I want to know what’s happening to the pot and euthanasia. I wasnt looking for whatsboutism deflection.
Euthanasia was passed, the pot won't be revisited until the Greens regain any influence, which might not be for several terms after the imminent decimation.

I feel like I'm stoned during this whole election, it's like a grotesque pantomime watching Chippy and Humpty battle it out, with Nicola in the background sharpening her talons.

And seeing some of the nutbars ACT have had to weed out of their list when they get exposed is worrying, pretty sure there's more than peace pipes being smoked in the 5G community. Any inside intel Wiz? wizard of Tauranga wizards rage

Last edited:
If I was National, I would ask each economist to provide their historical forecasts (OCR, house prices etc), with a comparison with how they performed vs actuals.

If they were all as good as they think, they wouldn’t be still working for a crust as economists
Historically financial predictions are wrong 90% of the time.
Real estate markets are the same.
Peter Thompson from Barefoot and Thompson predicted that if covid was ever to get into NZ the arse would fall out of the Real estate market
Absolutely the opposite happened

i wonder when we will wake up to something very fundamentally wrong with what these three economists have used in their modelling? They reduced the number of dwellings they believe will be sold to overseas buyers based on the experience of Vancouver who have experienced a large decrease in the sale of property to overseas buyers this year which they’ve attributed to their tax on those sales.

They‘ve completed ignored that since January 1 this year, Canada banned the sale of houses to overseas buyers. The reduction isn‘t because of a tax on overseas buyers because that didn’t reduce the sales enough so Canada instead introduced a ban similar to what we had.

Their modelling that there won’t be the same number of sales to overseas buyers is based on wrong assumptions as to what has caused the reduction of sales to oversea buyers…. and the media have swallowed it hook, line and sinker without checking the data provided to them.

National should win this easily.
Everyone I've talked to about the election has said they're voting for national and i know for a fact a good number of those voted for labour last time. Just my take as someone that leans left.
They really need 4 year terms in NZ. With the current 3 year model most parties in power only really a year and half to make any really change and then il they start preparing for the next election.

and the media have swallowed it hook, line and sinker without checking the data provided to them.
The media haven’t swallowed it hook line and sinker, they have a clear agenda. A misinformation campaign to focus on irrelevant stuff while the important issues are missed.

As someone that follows the news a little bit why haven’t I heard the media hammering:

- what’s happened about 3 waters?
- more clarity around the employee income insurance tax? The worst policy ever and it’s not scrapped, just waiting for times to be better…
- nail down a commitment on a time frame for the Auckland tram? And then ram home that it’s not costed in the treasury figures which show us already in the shit…
- hammer Robertson about any new taxes they will sneak in after they are elected? Force him to offer to resign if he lies because he’s a known lier and I guarantee he’s planning more taxes to get us out of our hole (even though it will just put us in deeper). They just deliberately don’t want to disclose this in an election.
- what happened to the labours hate speech laws and war on disinformation (can probably rule those out as they are active in it themselves)
- Will the lunches in schools last or be expanded as it was funded from the covid scheme and is essentially paid from borrowed money as we run deficits?

Get to work media…

The media haven’t swallowed it hook line and sinker, they have a clear agenda. A misinformation campaign to focus on irrelevant stuff while the important issues are missed.

As someone that follows the news a little bit why haven’t I heard the media hammering:

- more clarity around the employee income insurance tax? The worst policy ever and it’s not scrapped, just waiting for times to be better…
- nail down a commitment on a time frame for the Auckland tram? And then ram home that it’s not costed in the treasury figures which show us already in the shit…
- hammer Robertson about any new taxes they will sneak in after they are elected? Force him to offer to resign if he lies because he’s a known lier and I guarantee he’s planning more taxes to get us out of our hole (even though it will just put us in deeper). They just deliberately don’t want to disclose this in an election.
- what happened to the labours hate speech laws and war on disinformation (can probably rule those out as they are active in it themselves)
- Will the lunches in schools last or be expanded as it was funded from the covid scheme and is essentially paid from borrowed money as we run deficits?

Get to work media…
Do you think it might be a case of the quality of media you consume?

Because Labour are the Kiwibuld crowd, I forget what National are 🤔
Have always been and will always be WINZ for farmers.
And it's not a big leap to know that big-think from farmers (and National govts), whether milk (powder) or water theft (dams) & degradation, living year by year on credit etc etc as the 'backbone' of the country for generations, is also our Achilles heel.
When told to account for themselves the act like the most entitled. Asked to clean their collective act up they act like the most entitled in the country, which they've all been for yonks.
Don't get me wrong, I think they're important, but they don't give a shite about the rest of us and having a country so reliant on exports from one sector is ludicrous when Propping that sector up continuously negates the gains over time.
NZ has a cyclical habit that sees National favour bailing out the farmers with subsidies and 'big think' then the rest of us voting in Labour to clean up the mess (by, horror, trying to spread the opportunity across the 'working class' sector and 'have-nots' ( which also costs), and on-and-on it goes.
This time Labour DID have to deal with extra-odinary circumstances inluding a downturn in returns from whole world effect of covid & all sorts of other outside influences.
So now once again National has all the answers? Same old, same old if you ask me 😴
About time this country thinks long-term instead of in 3-yr cycles

Have always been and will always be WINZ for farmers.
And it's not a big leap to know that big-think from farmers (and National govts), whether milk (powder) or water theft (dams) & degradation, living year by year on credit etc etc as the 'backbone' of the country for generations, is also our Achilles heel.
When told to account for themselves the act like the most entitled. Asked to clean their collective act up they act like the most entitled in the country, which they've all been for yonks.
Don't get me wrong, I think they're important, but they don't give a shite about the rest of us and having a country so reliant on exports from one sector is ludicrous when Propping that sector up continuously negates the gains over time.
NZ has a cyclical habit that sees National favour bailing out the farmers with subsidies and 'big think' then the rest of us voting in Labour to clean up the mess (by, horror, trying to spread the opportunity across the 'working class' sector and 'have-nots' ( which also costs), and on-and-on it goes.
This time Labour DID have to deal with extra-odinary circumstances inluding a downturn in returns from whole world effect of covid & all sorts of other outside influences.
So now once again National has all the answers? Same old, same old if you ask me 😴
About time this country thinks long-term instead of in 3-yr cycles
It was brilliant when pre covid, tourism actually outgrew the farming sector. Hopefully it comes back and loosens their stranglehold on the country.

Get to work media…
Wizards as one who professes to watch the media you should know that they are only interested in HEADLINES.

It was brilliant when pre covid, tourism actually outgrew the farming sector. Hopefully it comes back and loosens their stranglehold on the country.
When tourism was booming there were more complaints than about the farming! To many tourists, littering, shitting and driving on the wrong side of the road.

We actually have a policy now to reduce tourism numbers and focus on quality over quantity.

Unfortunately it has been poorly timed when we’re trying to recover tourism numbers after a pandemic with numbers not yet viable for tourism.

The problem for some people is to be productive and generate income and live like a first world country, there is a price to pay. Some people want all the benefits without the costs and anyone shitting on farmers doesn’t have a clue. They want to be Scandinavia without the oil. Australia without the mines. NZ without the farming and tourism…

Do you think it might be a case of the quality of media you consume?
I follow multiple sources with my main one probably being the NZ herald. Most stuff I link is from there. They are slightly left but the most central of the media sources according to the graph posted here a couple of pages back.

Probably NZ best resourced, balanced and creditable paper?

Where do you get your news from juju juju?

For all the negativity in this thread - we are a country that punches massively above our weight globally

Look at our achievements in Music, Film, Writing

We has a lad racing in F1, innovate in sailing, Over achieve in the UFC.

Pretty remarkable for a small population

We have an indigenous culture that people overseas really resonate with and admire.

We have the Warriors a special sporting franchise.

The problem for some people is to be productive and generate income and live like a first world country, there is a price to pay. Some people want all the benefits without the costs and anyone shitting on farmers doesn’t have a clue. They want to be Scandinavia without the oil. Australia without the mines. NZ without the farming and tourism…
Unfortunately the farmers are too led by blind faith to see who’s actually caused their downturn. Preparing a country we do 28% of our trading with to be self sufficient through providing live export cattle and knowledge seems to have backfired considering the downturn in the Chinese market is blamed for the dairy downturn. I’ve worked around this sector for the last 5 years where they have been receiving record payouts but some of the standards have been disgraceful. One I was truly shocked at was a cow left stuck in a waterway for a week before any help was given to free her. Finally a tractor was used to pull her out and when she was laid down eels burst out her udder, the cow was alive the whole time until being pulled out by the tractor. It’s largely an industry built on cruelty, that’s not to say there are also some great farmers who have the animals welfare first and foremost.

I follow multiple sources with my main one probably being the NZ herald. Most stuff I link is from there. They are slightly left but the most central of the media sources according to the graph posted here a couple of pages back.

Probably NZ best resourced, balanced and creditable paper?

Where do you get your news from juju juju?
You probably need to go deep than NZ Herald to get the quality of coverage you're after

I regularly read & listen too

Newsroom
The Spinoff (Gone By Lunchtime podcast)
RNZ (select shows & podcasts)
NZ Herald & Stuff
North & South Magazine (probably the best in-depth journalism in the country but went broke)
The Listner

Bernard Hickey, Russell Brown are bloggers I think do great coverage.

I read the Guardian for more international views.

I keep an eye on the Platform because I like to hear what they're up too.

I'd be really interested to hear about quality right leaning journalism from NZ.

Back