AAMI Park

Saturday
Night
21:35

Warriors

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more concerned with Taine at Fullback than Lussick at hooker.

CNK was a vital link player in two of our try's vs the Storm which put Air Dallin in the corner. It is not fair to expect Taine to do that at this stage.

I agree with some of your hot takes. Particularly the one I have quoted above. Some of my hot takes I am too afraid to say as I will get censured. I think Taine was the cause of our clunky offence on Friday and not Lussick.

And if being truly honest, although I hope with all my heart to be wrong, I expect to go 0-3 to start the season until CNK comes back. I don't think we can beat any side in the NRL with Tuapiki at fullback. Because of the reason you list above. He doesn't know how to do linking plays so as such we can't do any of our patented back line sweep plays with Dallin flying over in the corner.

I understand and support why RTS is not going to full back. We want to keep RTS at centre so he can learn the position and so we have a consistent left edge. However, we can do all of that, and have CNK injured, and have back line sweeps with Dallin flying over in the corner if we play TMM at full back where he played much better at fullback for the Broncos than Tuapiki has ever played in his career or will ever play. Instead we have TMM in reserve grade NSW cup these first three games even though he is a better player than Tuapiki at fullback and playing TMM allows the option of playing RTS at centre consistently.

Storm kept panthers to Zero points. We are going in there with a pop gun attack until CNK comes back. I am expecting a Storm victory but hoping like anything I am dead wrong and that Tuaplki had been practicing his linking play all week and that he makes a statement on Saturday and truly arrives as a legit NRL standard fullback instead of looking like a fill-in player when he is on the field.

I am not going to defend this post in debates if anyone disagrees with my points as I really hope I am wrong. I hope my analysis is flawed. So if anyone points out fault with my logic I will say good and am happy to not carry the day on this as I want the young man to make it in the NRL. C'mon Taine -lift for this game. Be all you can be !!!

I am not going to defend this post in debates if anyone disagrees with my points
Where's the fun in that ;)

I agree Tuaupiki's not currently the bees knees but it's easy to lose sight that he's only started 5 games of a first grade. Webby's approach to new players seems to be to simplify their role then slowly add more responsibility over time. I think the Berrysiah is a good example of this last season. Like the Rocco I am hoping that Taine will establish strong foundations and build from them. Though acknowledging that this approach with spine players is more impactful to positive play

Not arguing, just another perspective!

Where's the fun in that ;)

I agree Tuaupiki's not currently the bees knees but it's easy to lose sight that he's only started 5 games of a first grade. Webby's approach to new players seems to be to simplify their role then slowly add more responsibility over time. I think the Berrysiah is a good example of this last season. Like the Rocco I am hoping that Taine will establish strong foundations and build from them. Though acknowledging that this approach with spine players is more impactful to positive play

Not arguing, just another perspective!
Hey I love your point. Let's hope he really improves and grows like Berry did. The only counter to this Berry analogy is that Rocco Berry is 22 at the moment and was only 20 years old when he was in that N00b state where everyone doubted him. Tuapiki is 24 and turns 25 in August so youth is not on his side or an explanation like it was for Rocco..

I agree with some of your hot takes. Particularly the one I have quoted above. Some of my hot takes I am too afraid to say as I will get censured. I think Taine was the cause of our clunky offence on Friday and not Lussick.

And if being truly honest, although I hope with all my heart to be wrong, I expect to go 0-3 to start the season until CNK comes back. I don't think we can beat any side in the NRL with Tuapiki at fullback. Because of the reason you list above. He doesn't know how to do linking plays so as such we can't do any of our patented back line sweep plays with Dallin flying over in the corner.

I understand and support why RTS is not going to full back. We want to keep RTS at centre so he can learn the position and so we have a consistent left edge. However, we can do all of that, and have CNK injured, and have back line sweeps with Dallin flying over in the corner if we play TMM at full back where he played much better at fullback for the Broncos than Tuapiki has ever played in his career or will ever play. Instead we have TMM in reserve grade NSW cup these first three games even though he is a better player than Tuapiki at fullback and playing TMM allows the option of playing RTS at centre consistently.

Storm kept panthers to Zero points. We are going in there with a pop gun attack until CNK comes back. I am expecting a Storm victory but hoping like anything I am dead wrong and that Tuaplki had been practicing his linking play all week and that he makes a statement on Saturday and truly arrives as a legit NRL standard fullback instead of looking like a fill-in player when he is on the field.

I am not going to defend this post in debates if anyone disagrees with my points as I really hope I am wrong. I hope my analysis is flawed. So if anyone points out fault with my logic I will say good and am happy to not carry the day on this as I want the young man to make it in the NRL. C'mon Taine -lift for this game. Be all you can be !!!
In an interview today on SENZ Taine said he thought his clunkiness was mainly down to his inexperience with loud crowd noises because he wasn’t hearing the calls from SJ and kept getting in the wrong position.

In an interview today on SENZ Taine said he thought his clunkiness was mainly down to his inexperience with loud crowd noises because he wasn’t hearing the calls from SJ.
Oh great. Then there is an explanation. Let's park my post and concerns and go with this reason and hope he can turn it around this weekend. I was really hoping my verdict was wrong and someone like you Spence would come along with a good counter explanation which you have done :)

You know though Melbourne will be noisier than Mt Smart. What is their solution? Hand signals?
Haha, nah I’m sure he’ll learn his lesson. Just needs to clean his ears out. Could have been an excuse too 🤷‍♂️ just passing on what he said, I don’t have any further opinions about it.

Haha, nah I’m sure he’ll learn his lesson. Just needs to clean his ears out. Could have been an excuse too 🤷‍♂️ just passing on what he said, I don’t have any further opinions about it.
Well it seems to add up because you said in your post that he was in the wrong positions as he didn't hear the calls and that ticks a lot of boxes in my mind. We would run plays and he would not be in the right place and be missing in action or worse inject himself in the backline when the play was designed for someone else.

Sounds like something our new international cricketers say when they move from first class to the blackcaps. A lot of them can't perform until they get used to playing in front of 40 thousand fans both from a hearing their batting partner calling runs perspective and also from a stage fright perspective. One of our less talented blackcaps of the 1980s relative to the rest of the team was Rod Latham yet he made a good fist of being a blackcap he said as he played NPC 1st division rugby, before there was Super Rugby, for Cantabs as a back and he said he hit the ground running as was used to large crowds.
Hope that cross sport comparison is ok.

Most plays in my day with very small crowds (compared to now) were instinct with just a nod of the head or a little hand signal behind the back.
Don't ever remember calling out plays.
Except spur of the moment stuff.
Like "take the centre " I've got the winger.

Just to add to the discussion, CNK was dropped by the Raiders for his lack of link play.
RTS was and still is not the best linking fullback in Rugby league, but he got better at it with time.

That is why you have to wait a bit, very few NSW cup teams manage it at all, it is a difficult change to the modern game.

Basically fullbacks come up through the grades as defenders with some running game, then when they try to make NRL they are expected to play like halves.

There have only been two era in our whole history where our backlines have been really good at those shapes, one was under the McFadden era and the other is under Webster.

…….he played multiple games in Townsville, Gold Coast, Brisbane etc and he couldn’t hear the calls at Mt Smart?

This is gonna be such a good ad for Specsavers 🤣🤣 Do it Specsavers, hire SJ and Taine 🤣,

Be interesting to know what Taines hearing is like. Hearing loss is so common, especially as a consequence of Glue ear. So many learning difficulties are linked with un diagnosed hearing problems.

Just a thought.

I knew a guy that came close to making the Warriors team back at the beginning on the Wing. Took the club quite a while to realise he was blind in one eye lol. I shouldn't laugh, but it sounds so Warriors.

Be interesting to know what Taines hearing is like. Hearing loss is so common, especially as a consequence of Glue ear. So many learning difficulties are linked with un diagnosed hearing problems.

Just a thought.

I knew a guy that came close to making the Warriors team back at the beginning on the Wing. Took the club quite a while to realise he was blind in one eye lol. I shouldn't laugh, but it sounds so Warriors.
Do you ever not attempt diagnose everyone on the spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back