Pick Your Team Warriors v Manly - Round 6, 2024 PICK YOUR TEAM

Manly have been hot and cold to start the season and with us winning 3 on the trot and being back at home, we are deservedly big favourites.

Manly fans are saying Burbo to move to right centre for Rueben Garrick, and if that’s the case, I expect RTS to move him around and have a field day.

Definitely not underestimating Manly as a whole as it is a fairly even matchup on paper.

Thats good odds for Manly. I have this pretty 50/50.

The one variable is Manly have had the one really poor game.
I agree: on paper, this is an even battle. We have been the more consistent side over the last 5 weeks however. We are the only side that hasn't really had a shocker yet. Of course that could change, but hopefully not this week.

I view last week as being quite exceptional for Manly. It was a huge occasion for one of their favourite sons in front of a parochial crowd,. Everything that could possibly go right for them did go right. Conversely everything that could go wrong did go wrong for the panthers: they had quite possibly their worst possible game in the last 2 years. The stage was really set for them to win last week, just like we were never going to be beaten in our home final last year against newcastle.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the transition towards the exact opposite environment where a packed out mt smart will be baying for their blood. They will try to start fast to remove the crowd out of the equation, like they did against parra. But if we can stick with them and turn this into a grind, I back our ability to get over the top of them and take the win. Manly have demonstrated a soft underbelly against teams that challenge them physically. I'm sure webby is looking at that parra game when approaching this game.

Webby will have a plan to nullify him.

Since everyone is saying our style of play is based off what Webster brought from Penrith - and Penrith got wasted by Manly (they used the same anti Penrith ball tactics the Eels use to regularly defeat them)......the question is....can we adjust to this Eels/Manly adaptation of keeping the ball live to nullify the Penrith/Warriors strangle method.

It is quite hard to learn one system very well then try to change it up for one opponent that play's un conventional hot potato.

These dynamics go back as far as the Storm Wrestle vs Warriors jungle ball anomaly, the Storm of old could not adjust for our unique point of difference in a competition year either.

The long game coach will ignore these one off awkward opponents and just commit to what works against 80% of the competition and be satisfied if our team does not win, that we make it hellah hard on them to get two points anyway....knowing by sticking to our method, we will be the ones comfortably in the top four at end of season, while the Manly's and the Eels of the world do not have a predictable, highly successful, repeatable game structure that delivers them 70-80% success.

If we are Penrith like by template, we still are not Penrith when you break it down to individuals, even though we are now using similar recruiting tools, we are still many years behind them in this systemic recruitment and programming method Penrith use.

There is only one counter to second phase live ball footy, and it is not the wrestle, the wrestle and overcompensating players to one tackle is what gets you in trouble, as soon as the ball is popped to someone else the Storm/Penrith gang bang is ineffective (ala Storm three man gang tackle wrestle/Penrith three man cheating Union like three man pushing the tackled player sideways method) but like I say, pretending to surrender to the tackle then turning your back and popping a ball wrecks all that.

Good line speed should be enough, but if you look at Penrith, the best line speed in the comp, it is not.

Sometimes it is better to have scrambling defenders in your forward pack over the Power wrestlers and fast off the line forwards of the Penrith type.

In this regard our team is probably better suited for playing Manly than the Riff.

I wish you could extrapolate that to meaning we are better than Penrith, but this is real life and nothing works like that. We still haven't worked out how to compete against Penrith ourselves, thereby we are a fair way off Webster being able to construct these 'Master plans' we fans like to attribute to our favorite coach.

If we start beating the big three regularly then yeah Webster has found something new. Something all of his own.

Last edited:
Injuries are a concern, I’m not sure how we rate against other teams currently, however because of our depth we’re not rushing players back. Replacements are getting game time, our form/prime players are getting rest, if needed and come finals, we’re not going to be jaded
some really encouraging stats was in the first 4 rounds we were the only team to play all 2023 Top 8 teams
After 5 ads I think we have the least points per game conceded.

Kosi may be slow laterally. But he was the most effective carting the ball up out of the whole team. Ran over players or carried them on his back lol. Big bloody thing, Time to covert him to prop?
Yeah he was effective doing that in the weekend but he has never been able to transfer that into first grade. I would like to see him get fired up and hit the line hard, at wing or prop I don't care which.

I think Walker has to play since he looks like he can play with the minor injury but they've been resting him due to our depth, well our depth players are falling over so he needs to at least put in 30min now to help out, I'm sure he's had enough rest anyway

CHT, Walker, Ale, Laban. That is still a gun bench with the way CHT/Ale are improving and Laban doing his thing mistake-free.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Manly ball, they lost 2 already this year and it's basically gonna be the way the Broncos played in the semi final against us, I'd like to see what Webby has learnt from that game to shut down offloads if Manly goes that route.

And they beat a Cleary-less Penrith, who lost 0:8 to the Storm who we should have beaten, makes you wonder where the Roosters are at when they get belted against Penrith

Last edited:
I'd rather have Kosi on the wing than put Roger there again.

I thought Roger was terrible on defence.

I'd move Roger back to centre and Kosi to the wing.

Capewell is back so, Bennett back to prop and Laban stays on the bench for Bunty.

We all know our game plan here, kick to corners and trap them in their own half. In my eyes there are 3 teams this might not work with.

Eagles and Panthers, both have 7's who are amazing off the back foot and can turn a game from there.

Then the Broncos who just throw it around and at the moment it just keeps sticking. Not sure how anyone can defend that until luck finally catches up with them.

We all know our game plan here, kick to corners and trap them in their own half. In my eyes there are 3 teams this might not work with.

Eagles and Panthers, both have 7's who are amazing off the back foot and can turn a game from there.

Then the Broncos who just throw it around and at the moment it just keeps sticking. Not sure how anyone can defend that until luck finally catches up with them.
We may not defend those teams as well as others, but we're starting to look like we can outscore them, almost worked in Melbourne.

Back