Sports đźŹŹ Black Caps

Do you reckon that is more or less likely than league taking off there?

I think there is a good chance of cricket doing well with the expat communities, but I think that the casual American is much more likely to tune into league than cricket. I can't imagine the average Joe has any interest in cricket at all, and I don't see that changing.
I think League would be more suited to American sports fans, I think for cricket you probably really need that commonwealth cultural influence. But if Canada and the Caribbean islands start playing regularly with USA there might be enough commonwealth expats in USA to support the team sufficiently to grow the game organically. I’m not that hopeful though, but I’ll keep an optimistic view.

Although I will say Jomboy is the greatest thing to happen to cricket in recent years - he would have already turned on thousands of Americans players on the sport, and has a great platform to keep spreading the word.

I think League would be more suited to American sports fans, I think for cricket you probably really need that commonwealth cultural influence. But if Canada and the Caribbean islands start playing regularly with USA there might be enough commonwealth expats in USA to support the team sufficiently to grow the game organically. I’m not that hopeful though, but I’ll keep an optimistic view.

Although I will say Jomboy is the greatest thing to happen to cricket in recent years - he would have already turned on thousands of Americans players on the sport, and has a great platform to keep spreading the word.

Yeah, my hope would be that the Caribbean influence could help spread the game through the African-American communities. That would be truly amazing, because there would be the potential for a team greater than those legendary West Indies teams of the 50s-80s.

I don't see white Americans embracing it.

The player pool at the moment like most of the associates is 90% Indian, with a smattering of South Africans and Pakistanis. I think we will see even more cricket-mad Indians looking at getting in on professional cricket through the avenue of smaller international teams. That should drown out any local development for a good 20 years before hopefully some sustained success and infrastructure motivates those countries to develop home players though. I'm still struggling to see it though. The success of teams like Afghanistan has been based on born and bred Afghani's.

Do you reckon that is more or less likely than league taking off there?

I think there is a good chance of cricket doing well with the expat communities, but I think that the casual American is much more likely to tune into league than cricket. I can't imagine the average Joe has any interest in cricket at all, and I don't see that changing.
Baseball has such an entrenched hold on the culture in the US it’d be a hard market to crack. Being so closely associated with UK doesn’t help the national psyche either.
As a sport Cricket can be quite complicated with all its intricacies, and even rabid fans take years to pick up on everything. I’ve been watching cricket for 30 odd years and I still struggle with fielding positions etc

Further to the comment I made the other day, Conway has had no cricket at all in 3 months! Mind you given the form that he was in, maybe that is a good thing.

Bleugh, our Teal looks even worse with Afghanistan's blue as the backdrop.

It is staggering there is no room for Ravindra.
Terrible kit. How do you leave Ravindra out of any side now? Spinners have been doing well in T20 lately and we playing 3 seamers - with a terrible field.

Last edited:
Terrible kit. How do you leave Ravindra out if any side now? Spinners have been doing well in T20 lately and we playing 3 seamers - with a terrible field.
At least Southee is out. I think Afghanistan would have taken Sodhi apart. Bracewell will be important

Conway was keeper because his batting was worth it. He has looked very ordinary this game so far with the gloves. His batting has to have a massive improvement over his current form or we would have been much better off with some other options

Conway was keeper because his batting was worth it. He has looked very ordinary this game so far with the gloves. His batting has to have a massive improvement over his current form or we would have been much better off with some other options
Looking like we might follow Pakistan the way we’re going

I wonder if when they selected this team for the t20 world cup did they actually ask the players if they wanted to be there? because so far none of them look interested.

I guess if you are going to go on a free holiday, then the WI would be a good destination

6 an over after 10 is fine. The game is still well and truly in the balance. No drama at all.

Afghanistan will be looking at 160. The first 6 overs of our innings will be super important.

I wonder if when they selected this team for the t20 world cup did they actually ask the players if they wanted to be there? because so far none of them look interested.
These guys haven't played any cricket forever. No warm ups, nothing. They will rusty as.

Back