• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Auckland Rugby League

NZWarriors.com
Top 3 from each of the 4 pools are in Fox and the other 4 teams go to Sharman.
Based on that I think that the 4 teams playing Sharman will be;
Mangere East
Hibiscus Coast
Northcote
Ponsonby

It’s a shame to see no North Shore representation in the Fox with Northcote and HBC playing Sharman.

The Mt Albert Mad Dogs OAR travel out to Otahuhu to take on the Otahuhu Asian Dragons. Exciting to see a team made up entirely of guys with Asian heritage. They’ve organised sponsorship, special jerseys , will be a good game .
The Mad Dogs have a big squad of over 30 players so almost a new team vs last weeks win over the Hornets.
Waiheke take on Howick over on the Island and out West, Te Atatu play Glenora .
For those not familiar with Open Age Restricted , the weight limit is 90kg and players weigh in each game .
Its fast open football and the ethnic mix is slightly different from the open grade.

OAR
The Mad Dogs beat the Otahuhu Dragons, 38-8.
Good to see Rueben Wiki helping out the Dragons . If he loses around 15kg , he could play for them as he has a Chinese grandmother.
Te Atatu beat Glenora in the battle of the West.
Waiheke Rams , playing at home, defeated Howick, 58-8.
Next weekend sees the two undefeated teams , Mt Albert and Waiheke playing over on the Island - it will be a good one !

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
OAR
The Mad Dogs beat the Otahuhu Dragons, 38-8.
Good to see Rueben Wiki helping out the Dragons . If he loses around 15kg , he could play for them as he has a Chinese grandmother.
Te Atatu beat Glenora in the battle of the West.
Waiheke Rams , playing at home, defeated Howick, 58-8.
Next weekend sees the two undefeated teams , Mt Albert and Waiheke playing over on the Island - it will be a good one !
Theat Asian Dragons team could recruit SJ and RTS too. Payne Haas might be put off by the commute.

ARL OAR:
The Mt Albert Mad Dogs maintained their 100% winning record this year with a hearty win over a tough Glenora side. The Mad Dogs got out to a 22-4 lead , prior to the Bears smashing Mt Abert through the middle of the park with good direction from their halves , and coming back to within a try at 22-26 and seemingly camped on the Mt Albert line. The Mad Dogs came back with 2 late tries to take it out, 38-22. The Mad Dogs also won the Boat Race at the Glenora club , after many of their hard out skullers had departed for the Mt Albert club. I can imagine they'll be a return clash in a few weeks time.
Howick got their first win of the year with a home win against the Otahuhu Dragons.
Out at Jack Colvin Park, the Waiheke Rams, proved too strong for Te Atatu, with a comfortable 38-12 win.
There is a break for King's Birthday Weekend and then back into it again!!

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Can watch games on Auckland Rugby League youtube channel. Locke & Gavet playing for Richmond, Manu at Otara coached by David Fa'alogo and Herman Retzlaff still going. I Remember him playing for the Vulcans. Wahine games too

Can watch games on Auckland Rugby League youtube channel. Locke & Gavet playing for Richmond, Manu at Otara coached by David Fa'alogo and Herman Retzlaff still going. I Remember him playing for the Vulcans
Vete played for the Pirates too recently, not sure if it was a one off or regular. He said he got a bloody nose from a swinging arm first hit up and the ref told him to get up 😂

The last year I played, every game I got hit in the jaw bar 1 when I got hit on the nose instead. Not 1 penalty given
The 1950's ... those were the days (joke).

I watched the Mt Albert vs Pt Chev game on Wednesday and enjoyed it. Pt Chev desperately need a goal kicker! The Ackland family are injury prone with Liam doing his shoulder , following his younger brother, Eiden, pulling his hammy in the Lions last televised game.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
OAR

The Mt Albert Mad Fogs remain unbeaten with a 32-7 win over a solid Howick outfit.
The team and the club have done a good job in making the Mad Dogs a destination side in terms of attracting players to their squad.
They now have a number of ex MARL premier players playing for the Mad Dogs, having fun both on and off the field.
Home side Waiheke, short on troops, lost to Glenora .
Meantime Te Atatu won against Nz Dragons.

Richmond top of the table.
Papakura in 2nd

Would be quite some time since the comp had leaders outside Mt Albert or Pt Chef

ARL OAR:

A big day for the rebirth of the Open Age Restricted U90kg grade as today’s grand final sees the Waiheke Rams taking on the Mt Albert Mad Dogs, Cornwall Park, 2.30pm.
Throughout the year these two teams have been the stand out sides in the revamped 6 team competition.

The well supported Waiheke side have a proud record in the OAR having won the title in previous years. The Rams, pride of the Island, have a large number of experienced RL players , now living on the Hauraki paradise. Their average age is ‘north’ of 30 years old and they play a tough uncompromising style of football.

On the other hand , the Mad Dogs came together last year , with a large chunk of the team being ex St Peter’s College rugby union students who wanted to experience and play RL. A couple of boys had previously played at Mt Albert and the central location was the ideal club for the Mad Dogs. MARL were very accomodating and super coach , John Ackland agreed to coach the Mad Dogs last year. This was no easy task as there only 2 guys from within the MARL who came into the side to help out. I can still recall having conversations with John around the team. They tackled like RU players - rolling away from the tackler, running RU lines and having to get used to RL fitness. John still said ,” that is not a problem, they’re good ‘boys’ “ - he taught some of the boys at SPC.
In last years 3 team reduced competition, they only won 1 game but they guys loved playing RL , loved the club and always had a fantastic time off the field - something that is fast diminishing.
They were active on social media- having the most followers of any RL team in Nz , apart from the Warriors. They attracted big crowds at Fowlds Park and those supporters always went back to the club for a drink to spend money.

They also featured on Wednesday’s ARL TV offering a real point of difference.

They put together an instagram clip last year featuring NZ media and sporting personalities , giving their support to The Mad Dogs - shout to the likes of Mike McRoberts ( his son is the capt this year), Dai Henwood, Marcelo Montoya, The Mad Butcher, Jono and Ben, Jerry Wells ( was at the last game vs Waiheke), Hauraki’s Big Show. This featured on many social media posts and TV too.

The 2024 version was recently released , pre semi finals.
The Mad Dogs were attracted a cult following and at the start of the year over 50 players turned up to pre season training, many from the ARU u85kg competition. As their profile grew, they were able to attract from MARL seasoned , experienced and hard RL players - this together with last years players learning more , has been the difference in 2024, together with a dedicated Old Boys coaching and management team.

Unfortunately for the team, they have injuries to key players as well as guys having got their dates wrong and headed over to Europe for their OE’s or extended holidays. They’ve had to dig deep into the squad and bring through players.

Today’s game should be a classic with Waiheke having won the major semi final 2 weeks ago. During the year, over at Waiheke, the Mad Dogs won a narrow victory.
Do yourself a favour and get to Cornwall Park or watch the ARL livestream. If you want a different version, go on the Waiheke Rams RL FB page as they live stream all of their games.

Okay , I’m biased ….

UP THE MIGHTY MAD DOGS!!!!

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Richmond are on the verge of winning the Fox.

Unlucky for the house owners surrounding the club who have been complaining about the noise from training.
Going to be a longgggggg night.
it was 14 - 0 when I posted this.

Now 14 all and off to extra time.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back