Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is that in the coalition agreement? Has that been announced anywhere post election?

And shouldn't drug addicts and mentally ill people get treatment?
Yes but for mental health they probably already are, drug addicts I don't know, are there even any treatment facilities left for that? These people are easy fodder for political capital because they're voiceless, it's all anecdotal unless you know them personally and you can't find out how many of them are on welfare because of privacy laws. I just don't like the thought of schizophrenics and epileptics etc being used for headlines like this.

Yes but for mental health they probably already are, drug addicts I don't know, are there even any treatment facilities left for that? These people are easy fodder for political capital because they're voiceless, it's all anecdotal unless you know them personally and you can't find out how many of them are on welfare because of privacy laws. I just don't like the thought of schizophrenics and epileptics etc being used for headlines like this.
That's fair.

If they are already getting treatment there isn't a problem is there - apart from the politicising aspect you mention?

Last edited:
It would be fine if his jibes were at least funny.
Funny is different for everyone I guess.

And perhaps it's not meant to be funny, but more to highlight that actually, whilst posting links, opinion pieces aren't actually fact, and that crying the sky is falling doesn't make it's so. No matter how often it's cried.

Yeah but getting treatment doesn't mean they're cured from hearing voices or whatever, that's my point, there isn't always a cure to make them employable
Is that what they are saying though? That they need to be at or working towards a state that is employable. Or are they saying that they want them to seek the help they need?

Is that what they are saying though? That they need to be at or working towards a state that is employable. Or are they saying that they want them to seek the help they need?
The former I think, if they're drugged up to the eyeballs on anti-psychotics they're obviously already getting the help they need.

I suppose we are speculating because they haven't actually implemented the policies yet.

Surely it is the definition of mentally ill when looking at those peoples ability to work.
We seem to be awash with people that say they are suffering from some form of mental illness or depression.
I have encountered some of these people and they are not ill as far as employment goes, they have found a niche and if anything, they will become ill if they continue down the path they are on. I have also encountered people that are clearly mentally ill, impossible for them to work.
For the first group mentioned, many would be relieved of their symptoms if they did work, it may be the cure.

Surely it is the definition of mentally ill when looking at those peoples ability to work.
We seem to be awash with people that say they are suffering from some form of mental illness or depression.
I have encountered some of these people and they are not ill as far as employment goes, they have found a niche and if anything, they will become ill if they continue down the path they are on. I have also encountered people that are clearly mentally ill, impossible for them to work.
For the first group mentioned, many would be relieved of their symptoms if they did work, it may be the cure.
Yeah could be, but it's a balance of finding the ones who these penalties will help v the casualties who suicide because of losing their incomes.
Anyone in your family got schizophrenia or clinical depression? Do you tell them digging holes or collecting trolleys will cheer them up.

Last edited:
Research NZ finds opinion varies on wanting Treaty of Waitangi referendum

Polls have found Kiwi opinion varies on wanting a Treaty of Waitangi referendum.

A new poll shows "opinion is polarised" about whether there should be a referendum on the Treaty of Waitangi.

The Research New Zealand survey indicates 36 percent of 1000 respondents want a referendum, while 35 percent are against it. The remainder were undecided.

People aged between 18 and 34 were more likely to want a referendum compared with older groups.

Research NZ managing partner Emanuel Kalafatelis told Sunday Morning the nationally representative survey hoped to uncover people's key issues of concern.

"Cost of living is what it is, inflation shows no signs of abating. So generally, at ground level, it's tough for the average New Zealander."

He said the result of the 18 to 34 years old group that supported the referendum was "counter-intuitive".

But he looked at the data again and confirmed that 46 percent of younger people agreed that there should be a referendum and at the other extreme, those over 55 years old only 35 percent agreed, "so there's a big difference there of at least 10 percentage points which you can't ignore".

Supplementary questions would have helped better understand why those surveyed agreed or disagreed with a referendum, Kalafatelis said.

"I'm theorising that younger people generally, as well as everyone else who was in support of there being a referendum, perhaps many of them feel that there should be a referendum in order to clear the air, so to speak, have a clear path that people can follow moving forward so that we have a reference point that we can all connect to."

It was interesting that younger people were in favour of New Zealand becoming a republic, changing its flag and even changing its name, he said.

"Maybe it's an indication that ... as far as young people are concerned, New Zealand is sort of continuing to mature and that, perhaps there is a need for change. I'm just hypothesizing now. I can't really point at any results which help us really be definitive on this matter at this particular point in time."

The survey also found that 48 percent of men agreed with the referendum on the Treaty compared with 25 percent of women.

Regionally, 40 percent of the respondents living north of Taupō agreed, compared with 31 percent of those who were from the South Island.

Of the 1000 survey respondents, Kalafatelis said there wasn't a large sub-sample of Māori.

"But looking at the results for Māori there was, I would like to say a tendency for Māori to be more in favour of there being a referendum than Pākehā."

"Certainly puzzles and interests me. There's no doubt that this is a complex issue and potentially it'll become even more complex as we move through the next few months," Kalafatelis said.

Other pressing issues
The survey also looked at what the public wants the government to prioritise.

There were three: high cost of food and other everyday essentials (90 percent); long GP and hospital waiting times (87 percent); and the rate of crime committed by young people (84 percent).

Also ranking high on issues people want addressed were a lack of affordable, healthy housing (78 percent); and old leaking water pipes in the major cities (75 percent).

"There's an increasing proportion of New Zealanders in favour of te reo Māori becoming a compulsory subject in New Zealand schools [37 percent]."

RNZ

Newshub

That's fair.

If they are already getting treatment there isn't a problem is there - apart from the politicising aspect you mention?
errrr....the small matter of health is run down and people aren't getting the treatment they need. Then they're getting pushed into non existent work and if they break one rule, one very, very, very subjective rule depending on how bad a day their client manager has had, they're fucked.

Then they have no money, no resources and it explodes.

And because someone's having a bad day these people get a black mark. Their money is cut off. They have no advocacy and WINZ is a nightmare.

Try talking to people on welfare. Get some stories first hand.

It's no laughing matter.

errrr....the small matter of health is run down and people aren't getting the treatment they need. Then they're getting pushed into non existent work and if they break one rule, one very, very, very subjective rule depending on how bad a day their client manager has had, they're fucked.

Then they have no money, no resources and it explodes.

And because someone's having a bad day these people get a black mark. Their money is cut off. They have no advocacy and WINZ is a nightmare.

Try talking to people on welfare. Get some stories first hand.

It's no laughing matter.
Is that the policy is it? One bad day and your benefit is cut?

You are right about being able to get the treatment though. Andrew Little is still looking for where the money went.

Last edited:
Back