Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 14/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
I’m pretty sure JFH is capable of more minutes if needed. Panthers have a far better middle forward rotation than we do. They are able to keep JFH and Leota fresh both in individual games but also season long because of that far better depth
Agreed, but unfortunately that’s a bad thing.
How are we going to fill the gaps? JFH is not going to averaging 60 minutes a game, week in week out. Then there’s Barnett, averaging 65 minutes he was clearly declining near the end. Plus he wasn’t playing well into November last year like he may do this year. I predict a burn out for at least one of them without serious changes to Websters interchanges.
I'd prefer JFH to come in and tell Webby mate you are gonna bust all of us if you don't adopt the minutes to keep players fresh for the long season, give the 4th bench player some minutes and have everyone play 50-60min instead of 65-75min until they're worn out
Absolutely, but where are those minutes going to be allocated. A proper 4 prop rotation is needed IMO.

14. Walker
15. Niukore/Sifakila/Clark (an actual middle)
16. Ale/Bunty/Sifakula (an actual middle)
17. Clark/Healy (hooker cover)

The tiny bench thing doesn’t work…….
It didn’t work against the better teams in 2023 and it absolutely didn’t work this year.
Just look at Melbourne and Penriths bench’s, they’re huge……. Not to mention Roosters and Shark’s……..

Egan getting injured all the time is a serious problem.

Tohu Harris is critical to the success of this team in 2025 quite frankly. Is he the player he once was? No.
He is the only player on our roster who could potentially take up the extra work.
Still averaged 132m and a 95% tackle efficiency. With a long layoff leading into next season.
Pray…… Pray he comes right……

I predict a burnout if things aren’t changed.

How are we going to fill the gaps? JFH is not going to averaging 60 minutes a game, week in week out. Then there’s Barnett, averaging 65 minutes he was clearly declining near the end. Plus he wasn’t playing well into November last year like he may do this year. I predict a burn out for at least one of them without serious changes to Websters interchanges.

Absolutely, but where are those minutes going to be allocated. A proper 4 prop rotation is needed IMO.

14. Walker

It didn’t work against the better teams in 2023 and it absolutely didn’t work this year.
Just look at Melbourne and Penriths bench’s, they’re huge……. Not to mention Roosters and Shark’s……..

Tohu Harris is critical to the success of this team in 2025 quite frankly. Is he the player he once was? No.
He is the only player on our roster who could potentially take up the extra work.
Still averaged 132m and a 95% tackle efficiency. With a long layoff leading into next season.

Might be time to trust some of the young players more than we have.

Big part of the reason JFH and Leota can be so destructive on defence is they spend 45 minutes plus between stints recharging (halftime break + reserve prop minutes)

Agree with the calls for a proper old school 4 man prop rotation.

Don't care how good any prop is, they'll manage their energy way differently over 40-45 mins than 60-65.

Reminded of the famous Ridgey quote, JFH is coming from being a spoke in the wheel, and as awesome as he is he isn't gonna be the whole wheel.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
So you want to play someone who you think is clueless at defending. You should perhaps revisit the sending him to Japan camp if you think he cannot defend. I know you want to put him somewhere but really do we need him?

I have been vocal about my thoughts about RTS. I would not select him as he is just a handbrake to our young players and one dimensional as a player. He can be great at getting meters and is good defending outside the defensive line but we already have a team that can gain meters we need people who can convert the meters into points.

You're leaving out the context to try to win a pointless online argument lol, he was thrown onto the wing position where he hasn't played or seriously trained for 2 years+, thus yes, he looked clueless, which is factual and expected. Will he get a pre-season training and get help from the likes of Pompey on field to get the defense up to speed for 2025? The answer is pretty obvious.

Other points you mentioned I have no comment, don't care.

I'd prefer JFH to come in and tell Webby mate you are gonna bust all of us if you don't adopt the minutes to keep players fresh for the long season, give the 4th bench player some minutes and have everyone play 50-60min instead of 65-75min until they're worn out
I remember a press conference from the tail end of last year when Tohu joked with Webby that he wished he would get taken off sooner for a bit of a rest … and they both laughed at each other. Wondered how much truth was hidden behind that one at the time. Didn't change anything for this season though haha. I'd like to think/hope there will be more faith in the bench for 25.

14. Walker

I am so over the midget bench. 100% my biggest issue with webby. His bench usage is ridiculous and only even sort of worked cause AFB was an absolute monster. Unfortunately I don't think he agrees. He will very likely carry a bench hooker + Walker which then leaves us 2 slots, probably Clark who's not big either.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
This year we were fantastic with our forwards and as most agree, were able to get us down to the right end of the field. I can't see this changing too much next year. Yes we are losing Adding but with JFH and hopefully our rookies improving and a fit Tohu, we should still have that platform.

The halves struggled big time this year. SJ's decline, injuries and then shuffling the team around meant we there were issues all over the shop. IF, and it's a big if - TMM and Metcalf are fit for 20+ games next year I feel that we have enough upside in our halves to comfortably make the 8. We don't know how TMM and Metcalf will gel, but TMM showed enough as a dominant half, with LM showing he's still dangerous on attack and is learning to put his outside men away. If they click and get things going we could even be pushing top 4 imo.

Biggest thing that needs working on is our grit on d. I'd be happy to strip everything back this year and focus on d. We were about 120 points - or 20 tries worse defensively this year than last year. Not even looking at how well score our points, if we did nothing differently to our attack from this year but improved our D back to where it was last year we'd be top 8.

So, for me there's a lot of excitement. If nothing improves but our D, I think we'll be very close to top 8. If we improve a little in other areas I think we'll be 6-8 and if things click well with our halves and we have one or two break out year from Sifa, Halasima or Ali then I think we're pushing top 4.
I think we lost more games by not having a goal kicker. First recruit should be someone that can kick a 40/20, slot goals and drop goals.

I think we lost more games by not having a goal kicker. First recruit should be someone that can kick a 40/20, slot goals and drop goals.
Yes
This needs our top priority to address
We can’t carry on picking the best 13 and from those 13 picking the best kicker
We need to select in the 13 a great kicker and make room for him if necessary to have a spot

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I am so over the midget bench. 100% my biggest issue with webby. His bench usage is ridiculous and only even sort of worked cause AFB was an absolute monster. Unfortunately I don't think he agrees. He will very likely carry a bench hooker + Walker which then leaves us 2 slots, probably Clark who's not big either.
The only reason I can think of that Webby persists with the smaller bench. Is he’s trying to get ahead of the competition….

The game is getting quicker, and Webby thinks this is the way forward. Early evidence suggests that it’s not.

And I point to the top teams who are consistently near the top as proof.

Penrith,
14. Schneider, 184cm and 88kg
15. Smith, 194cm and 106kg
16. Henry, 190cm and 105kg
17. Eisenhuth, 197cm and 111kg

Melbourne,
14. Wishart, 182cm and 89kg
15. Welch, 195kg and 110kg
16. Kamikamica, 195cm and 110kg
17. MacDonald, 185cm and 98kg

Warriors……….
14. Walker, 181cm and 98kg
15. Lussick, 180cm and 84kg (Healy?)
16. Jazz, 178cm and 98kg (Clark similar)
17. Ale, 183cm and 109kg

Fuck off with that shit……. No wonder we’re losing. God that pissed me off……
Your “foot speed” and “lateral movement” doesn’t mean shit when these kunts are kicking down your front door……. FFS!!!!
Even there starters are big……

I bet the Roosters and Shark are similar. Or at the very least a lot bigger than ours.

Our key forwards age next season:

JFH - 29
Egan - 28
Barnett - 31
Ford - 27
Capewell - 31
Harris - 33
Walker - 30
Niukore - 28
Clark - 27

We’re old. Really old. The peak time for players statistically is 26 with their best years 24-28. Older players fatigue out, get and carry more injuries and as they slow, the flood gates open in defence. Sound familiar - and our squad is now a year older.

The worse part is the opportunity cost. The way to win premierships is to blood youth at around 20 and have them with 100 games by 24. So you have a 4 year period with peak health; peak athleticism and experience. An unstoppable combination.

That’s what the Storm and Panthers do so well. They move players on around 28 (not all but it’s a consistent thing).

The opportunity cost of prioritising old players is our youth aren’t building up first grade game time to be great players during their peak years.

And on theme, recruit gun 22- 24 year olds.

Yes
This needs our top priority to address
We can’t carry on picking the best 13 and from those 13 picking the best kicker
We need to select in the 13 a great kicker and make room for him if necessary to have a spot
Here's a post I made in December last year. Back then, my fears were but a trickle. As the season unfolded, they became an explosive, uncontrollable, down-the-leg-of-your-pants kind, culminating in the CHT Raiders debacle. The only thing that's changed is that my fears for 2025 are starting at the latter stage.

El Chuckie Post #124 Dec 7, 2023Forum: NZ Warriors
Who's your kicker if SJ's body can't handle it? The thing that gets me about Pomps is that he's not even a particularly good kicker, but he's still miles ahead of anyone else. Bit of a worry. I hope the 6s are putting in some extra practice after training.

Here's a post I made in December last year. Back then, my fears were but a trickle. As the season unfolded, they became an explosive, uncontrollable, down-the-leg-of-your-pants kind, culminating in the CHT Raiders debacle. The only thing that's changed is that my fears for 2025 are starting at the latter stage.

El Chuckie Post #124 Dec 7, 2023Forum: NZ Warriors
Who's your kicker if SJ's body can't handle it? The thing that gets me about Pomps is that he's not even a particularly good kicker, but he's still miles ahead of anyone else. Bit of a worry. I hope the 6s are putting in some extra practice after training.
This may freak you out but as I read that post I recalled reading it earlier (I read nearly every post on the site). I didn't take your post seriously at the time as I felt like Pompey could be that guy. But he proved inconsistent. And who would have known he was going to get injured too after being an iron man in 2023
Our Stats
PlayerGamesGoalsAttemptsPercent
Johnson
16​
29​
38​
76%​
Pompey
14​
24​
31​
77%​
CHT
17​
11​
18​
61%​
Metcalf
7​
9​
12​
75%​
Tuapiki
8​
3​
3​
100%​

The problems got diabolical once we were down to our 3rd selected kicker.
How do you fix this?
Even if we pick TT to play full back next year....who is our back up and 3rd string going to be?

I am sorry for giving your Nostradameus like post short shrift when I read it last year. Will be on the look out for your future posts.
What my solution is - Taine to play full back and kick. Pompey as first back up. If Both of them can't kick then we find one of our NSW cup backs who can and let them play wing in 1st Grade. I don't trust Luke Metcalf to be in the kicking mixer.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
This may freak you out but as I read that post I recalled reading it earlier (I read nearly every post on the site). I didn't take your post seriously at the time as I felt like Pompey could be that guy. But he proved inconsistent. And who would have known he was going to get injured too after being an iron man in 2023
Our Stats
PlayerGamesGoalsAttemptsPercent
Johnson
16​
29​
38​
76%​
Pompey
14​
24​
31​
77%​
CHT
17​
11​
18​
61%​
Metcalf
7​
9​
12​
75%​
Tuapiki
8​
3​
3​
100%​

The problems got diabolical once we were down to our 3rd selected kicker.
How do you fix this?
Even if we pick TT to play full back next year....who is our back up and 3rd string going to be?

I am sorry for giving your Nostradameus like post short shrift when I read it last year. Will be on the look out for your future posts.
What my solution is - Taine to play full back and kick. Pompey as first back up. If Both of them can't kick then we find one of our NSW cup backs who can and let them play wing in 1st Grade. I don't trust Luke Metcalf to be in the kicking mixer.
Very interesting, Tuapiki was 80% in NSW cup this year
Slim pickings it seems

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back