• Married 6-10 yrs

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Married 11 - 15 yrs

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Married + 15 yrs

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters
it's Pascal's wager for me;

Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument advanced by Blaise Pascal (1623–1662), seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist, and theologian.[1] This argument posits that individuals essentially engage in a life-defining gamble regarding the belief in the existence of God.

Pascal contends that a rational person should adopt a lifestyle consistent with the existence of God and actively strive to believe in God. The reasoning behind this stance lies in the potential outcomes: if God does not exist, the individual incurs only finite losses, potentially sacrificing certain pleasures and luxuries. However, if God does indeed exist, they stand to gain immeasurably, as represented for example by an eternity in Heaven in Abrahamic tradition, while simultaneously avoiding boundless losses associated with an eternity in Hell.
I try to treat the planet as my god and treat it with the respect it deserves. Think this must be how it was once upon a time with people sacrificing things so mountains wouldn’t erupt and the like?

Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument advanced by Blaise Pascal (1623–1662), seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist, and theologian.[1] This argument posits that individuals essentially engage in a life-defining gamble regarding the belief in the existence of God.

Pascal contends that a rational person should adopt a lifestyle consistent with the existence of God and actively strive to believe in God. The reasoning behind this stance lies in the potential outcomes: if God does not exist, the individual incurs only finite losses, potentially sacrificing certain pleasures and luxuries. However, if God does indeed exist, they stand to gain immeasurably, as represented for example by an eternity in Heaven in Abrahamic tradition, while simultaneously avoiding boundless losses associated with an eternity in Hell.
Kinda like choosing God over the truth, or at least the truth as you perceive it to be

Kinda like choosing God over the truth, or at least the truth as you perceive it to be
The theory doesn't rely on you believing in god though does it. Just adopting a lifestyle consistent with there being one. Is believing in god one of the prerequisites for entering heaven?

The theory doesn't rely on you believing in god though does it. Just adopting a lifestyle consistent with there being one. Is believing in god one of the prerequisites for entering heaven?
No idea, to me it's an illogical a priori question because it assumes an afterlife and a heaven. Seems like a bad faith bargain if you don't actually believe it.

No idea, to me it's an illogical a priori question because it assumes an afterlife and a heaven. Seems like a bad faith bargain if you don't actually believe it.
It makes no assumption of an afterlife or heaven.

I’m not into religion but I believe generally religious people live a ‘better’ life as their rules are designed to prevent problems, provide structure and ensure good outcomes. The 10 commandment/ bible/ Koran, etc are just an accumulation of good life lessons and how not to make mistakes.

Example, in my experience if I had a job opening and a religious person or a not religious person applied, the majority of the time the religious person would make a better employee. Reliable, good morals, good attitude, etc

I believe generally religious people end up healthier, wealthier, better marriage and relationships and happier. Generally!

I personally just can’t believe if I don’t believe. The same reason it makes good employees, is what turns me off. It’s designed to control and restrict Individuality. There’s a reason I like listening to rage against the machine…

I’m not into religion but I believe generally religious people live a ‘better’ life as their rules are designed to prevent problems, provide structure and ensure good outcomes. The 10 commandment/ bible/ Koran, etc are just an accumulation of good life lessons and how not to make mistakes.

Example, in my experience if I had a job opening and a religious person or a not religious person applied, the majority of the time the religious person would make a better employee. Reliable, good morals, good attitude, etc

I believe generally religious people end up healthier, wealthier, better marriage and relationships and happier. Generally!

I personally just can’t believe if I don’t believe. The same reason it makes good employees, is what turns me off. It’s designed to control and restrict Individuality. There’s a reason I like listening to rage against the machine…
trouble is, many people profess to be 'religious' but are utter bastards really.

As soon as I saw your post, as my wife would say - it vibrated/resonated with me, it was your darling, she visited you, my darling is into this spiritual stuff, kia kaha brother, I believe in the after life, and your darling is eternal, like we all are and we will all eventually see our loved ones - stay strong, don't forget your'e a Wahz fan supporter, we're a hearty breed. FYI married 40 years 2023, yes she is always right, and really sorry for your loss.

There’s plenty of mischief “religious” folk…..just because one chooses to attend church and read the bible doesn’t make them saints, people are flawed and that’s how we are designed so church/God/Christ etc helps to keep one accountable and be a better person. Of course there’s those that know that you don’t have to believe in the above to be a good person, the smart ones know that. I personally don’t like to be categorised Christian and religious. For instance both the words “religious” and “Christian” were made up by non believers to label those that did believe. I for one believe in God etc, it’s not much different to one believing in Aliens yet they have never ever seen one but they insist they exist, take a deep breath in guys, what’s that your breathing in? Oxygen…..you can’t see it but it’s there and you believe it. My philosophical view on my chosen denomination is the fact that I’m not willing to repel that God exists because I don’t want to leave it up to chance and find out after I depart this earth only to float away upstairs to the gates of heaven and be turned away……

.”ummm…..who are you?

*bellowing voice* I’m your Heavenly Father”

“……oh damn, you’re real”

*bellowing voice” …..yes, now have a seat in the hot and dark waiting room over there and I’ll chat with you later”

“How long is the wait”

*bellowing voice* “how long is a piece of string……as long as your list of sins? It’ll be a while”

Now I either profess that I believe and repent and be let through the gates or I rot away in misery in that dark and hot waiting room full of stubborn non believers, sinners (we all sin but we don’t all repent) or I bow my head in shame and humility and accept “him” and get to live in and everlasting life in “heaven”.

Of course theres caveats to that scenario, some people have commited horrendous acts of crime here (I’ll let you ponder those things, you’re an intelligent bunch) so if one believes in God…..there’s gotta be the opposite (you know who Im talking about) and that entity has dominion over the earth and that’s why most people live in sin, it’s easier than keeping yourself in check and not believing there’s a higher power watching your every move and keeping checks & balances. Life is hard, it’s meant to be but there’s beauty in it also but can be so cruel for a lot of people. In my opinion it’s unfair that people suffer tremendously for all sorts of reasons then just die and that’s that.

It seems to cruel to me that there’s no afterlife.

As for tithing, yes some denominations force it upon their congregation and take advantage of it…..don’t get me started on that, I’ve met plenty of assholes that proclaim to be religious, we pay for membership fees for sports clubs we belong to, school, taxes, insurance……Warriors memberships…..sheesh, you even have to pay to belong to a gang. If we didn’t we wouldn’t have what we have or want. Where else would the money come from to build infrastructure, hospitals, schools, gang pads, CHURCHES…..the list goes on.

Anyway, I just hope they have Rugby League in Heaven and I get to see my loved ones again that have already departed.

I’m not willing to not believe, personally it’s a very frightening thought. Most will say it’s a form of control…..that’s ok with me. We’re all under control anyway by man themself.

As for being brain washed……. I needed my brain washed.

Saints are sinners who keep on trying and church is a hospital for sinners.

Last edited:
"Is believing in god one of the prerequisites for entering heaven?"
This question assumes heaven exists if God exists, doesn't it? Presumably if you already believe in God there's no need for Pascal's wager.
That was a question by me. Is it a prerequisite? Or is living a good life consistent with there being one what is required. If you are a good man you make it in. If not...

The theory isn't about whether you believe or not. Obviously if you do and live a life consistent with that then you don't need it. The theory was for a rational man considering what the potential outcomes could be.

That was a question by me. Is it a prerequisite? Or is living a good life consistent with there being one what is required. If you are a good man you make it in. If not...

The theory isn't about whether you believe or not. Obviously if you do and live a life consistent with that then you don't need it. The theory was for a rational man considering what the potential outcomes could be.
Person 1 does good all his life but doesn’t believe in god.

Person 2 does bad stuff but is forever sorry and believes in God.

If God let’s person 2 into heaven but not person 1 then who really wants to be there?

I don’t believe God would be an egomaniac in requiring such belief.

IMG_4061.jpeg

Last edited:
Back