Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I'm just wondering what everyone would prefer?

If AFB were to sign with someone for 2025 in the coming weeks, and we sorted out a deal that we had 2 players lined up (not necessarily from the same club, but for the purpose of this hypothetical let's just say Tigers were happy to give us Pap and Utoikamanu), would we rather have the deal and swap take place immediately so it's from 2024, or do we try and get one more year of AFB before swapping in 2025?

I see positives and negatives on both fronts, but I think I would prefer it to take place asap. I don't know, I feel that AFB might go in to cruise control for 2024 if his future is locked up for 2025 onwards.
No chance in hell the tigers send us those two, but if that was on the table we should take it in a heart beat. I'd take that even if AFB didn't want to leave.

I think we're all going to be grossly disappointed when the club lets him go for nothing in return. The NRL seems very limited in regards to trading, compared to the US sports.

Daily telegraph reporting that we're ready to offer Capewell a 3 year deal.

Am I misremembering things, but wasn't Capewell playing rubbish in-between injuries for the last 2 years?

NRL signing news: New Zealand Warriors favourites to sign Broncos forward Kurt Capewell | Daily Telegraph​

The Warriors have emerged as shock favourites to sign premiership-winner Kurt Capewell — and the New Zealand franchise are aiming to sign the Broncos forward immediately.
In what would prove a major coup for the ever-evolving Warriors, Capewell is using his off-season holidays to tour the club’s facilities this weekend in Auckland.

The Queensland State of Origin forward remains contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season, but the Warriors would want him to gain an immediate release to join them in 2024.

It’s understood the Warriors are willing to offer the 30-year-old a three-year deal.

The eager pursuit of Capewell by the Warriors has been made available due to the departure of Josh Curran to the Bulldogs.

A key member of the Panthers 2021 premiership, Capewell was spotted having dinner with Warriors coach Andrew Webster at Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour on Friday night.

Webster’s relationship with Capewell dates back to 2021 when he was the assistant coach at Penrith.

Kurt Capewell could be on his way to the Warriors. Picture: Getty Images

Kurt Capewell could be on his way to the Warriors. Picture: Getty Images
Capewell boasts a winning reputation having experienced success at each of the three clubs he has played for.

The strike backrower played a role in the Sharks 2016 premiership season, went all the way with Penrith in 2021, before playing in last season’s grand final with the Broncos.

Off-contract at the end of 2024, Capewell’s chances of staying at the Broncos have diminished due to the club’s recent re-signing of rising backrowers Brendan Piakura (2027) and Jordan Riki (2027).

The Broncos are also in the process of attempting to re-sign star fullback Reece Walsh and outstanding young half Ezra Mam.

It’s anticipated that the Warriors would be willing to offer Capewell a three-year deal to play in the back row.

His signing would also enable the Warriors to push Marata Niukore from the edge of the forwards and into the middle of the field, where the latter could be used to fill the void of Addin Fonua-Blake, who has requested a release for 2025.

The Warriors also view Capewell, who has played 139-games and nine Origin matches, as the perfect leader to aid the club’s development of their younger forwards.

The acquisition of Capewell would also allow the Warriors to boast one of the strongest leadership groups in the NRL with Shaun Johnson, Tohu Harris and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck considered three of the game’s most experienced and respected figureheads.

Originally published as New Zealand Warriors favourites to sign Broncos forward Kurt Capewell

The interesting thing is that both Ford and Capewell generally play left and Niukore plays right so does Capewell slot in or Ford move over?

A middle of AFB, Harris, Barnett, Niukore is pretty strong and if Niukore works out it might ease the pressure on us to replace AFB with 2 players and free up space to strengthen other positions.

Capewell's earning 550k at th Broncos currently. I loved Curran's enthusiasm but if we were able to get Capewell for about the same money, that's a massive upgrade to our team at this point in time.

An experienced pro who's won multiple titles, 9 Origins, played in last year's grand final and is versatile enough to play in the centres....he would be a huge get.

I don't think he's 'out of favour' at th Broncos, they've just got 2 young guns who they need to lock up. Could be an absolute steal of a move if we pull that off. Would have to be for 2024 tho, that's when we need him most
Here’s my Hot Take - if anything comes of the Capewell sighting it would be to join from next season and not 25 due to his age. His experience and leadership would be valued.

If Capewell signing is true, I think it is all about team balance, it does make me wonder on the role Jazz will play next year.
Webby and Cappy must have a plan, and obviously no panic buying.
You would think the Broncos owe us, so I don’t see any hardball negotiations re Capewell as obviously a win win.

Back