NRL NRL Expansion

My mother is a very sweet 70 something year old lady. I told her today that the South Island team that has been proposed has chosen the name of Keas. I told her it is a wimpy name for a rugby league team.
She disagreed and said amongst birds Keas are quite tough and have powerful beaks !!!!

If I were naming the Southern team I would call them "the Waka"

Two reasons
1) Maui fished up the North Island and it is well known by legend the South Island was his Waka
2) The name Waka really lends itself to stirring motivational team talks.
"We are all in the Waka together"
"We all need to pull our weight in the Waka in harmony".

My mother is a very sweet 70 something year old lady. I told her today that the South Island team that has been proposed has chosen the name of Keas. I told her it is a wimpy name for a rugby league team.
She disagreed and said amongst birds Keas are quite tough and have powerful beaks !!!!
They fck up sheep! Farmers used to exterminate them as they’d ride them and tear into ‘em. Nasty as and smart.

They fck up sheep! Farmers used to exterminate them as they’d ride them and tear into ‘em. Nasty as and smart.

Interesting !!!

Imagine if they got let loose with a dolphin around!

and cheeky with it. They also live around the east-west mountain passes

Fiji could be entering the race for a spot in the NRL ...

PNG?
South island ?
Perth?
Fiji?
Another Qld side?

Is it time to re-look at kicking out one of the Sydney based sides???
What role will the Bears and Jets play with these sides , if any?

I keep seeing dolphin jokes around- what’s the story there?
Some rich white dude schedules a boat race in the middle of a marine reserve… which has conditions about racing not being allowed if an endangered dolphin that lives in the area is seen. Apparently a foiling boat at 100km/h could cut them in half which is not ideal. The rich white dude agrees to said conditions.

A dolphin is then sighted at the starting box on the first day of the racing. After a while the racing is called off and the rich white dude (who also made a special trip to the anti government protests in Wellington a few years ago) loses his shit and starts threatening to never bring the race to the marine reserve again, then later doubles down and says all of NZ may miss out because of the red tape.

Enter the politicians…

Boo hoo rich white dudes.

PNG?
South island ?
Perth?
Fiji?
Another Qld side?

I have little faith that any of the Syndey sides will get the boot. Before the Commission was formed all of the talk was "big calls need to be made" or "rationalization". Now it is Sydney is a strong footprint of the competition or "tribalism".

The ownership of the sport is also essentially the NRL clubs and the NSW & QLD Rugby Leagues so they essentially need to push out one of their owners. In the past under previous administrators a few high-profile people in club land like Politis, Gould etc have grouped together to force the Commission's hand. That was just around the salary cap, think it was the only way John Grant kept his job as the head of the Commission. Imagine how hard a club would politic and get others on their side if they were forced out of the competition or to relocate.

In the past, there was talk of no more handouts if a club goes broke. Financially they all seem in a lot better place now as the NRL Grants cover the cap and a bit more I believe.

Either some rationalization or relocation would help with getting these other locations into the competition.

Some rich white dude schedules a boat race in the middle of a marine reserve… which has conditions about racing not being allowed if an endangered dolphin that lives in the area is seen. Apparently a foiling boat at 100km/h could cut them in half which is not ideal. The rich white dude agrees to said conditions.

A dolphin is then sighted at the starting box on the first day of the racing. After a while the racing is called off and the rich white dude (who also made a special trip to the anti government protests in Wellington a few years ago) loses his shit and starts threatening to never bring the race to the marine reserve again, then later doubles down and says all of NZ may miss out because of the red tape.

Enter the politicians…

Boo hoo rich white dudes.
Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with the news besides seeing comments around the place.

The speeds those boats go any wildlife swimming through the course they will be in for it.

If he agreed to it beforehand. Tough. If he agreed to it and thought no one would enforce it. Tough.

PNG?
South island ?
Perth?
Fiji?
Another Qld side?

I think two pools of 12 teams is a viable option with five new teams added to the competition. Amalgamation such as Cronulla and St George, Tigers and Eels would free up players for the new teams.
The Bears and Jets to remain as feeder clubs.
The naming of the National Rugby League would also have to be considered. Quite a change but exciting to think about for the future.

I think two pools of 12 teams is a viable option with five new teams added to the competition. Amalgamation such as Cronulla and St George, Tigers and Eels would free up players for the new teams.
The Bears and Jets to remain as feeder clubs.
The naming of the National Rugby League would also have to be considered. Quite a change but exciting to think about for the future.
Western Eels or Parra Tigers?
Crunulla Dragons?
Merg clubs rarely work, one of them has to lose the licence and become reserve grade feeder clubs probly. I'd say Sharks and Tigers relegated.

Back