Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It should be different, people live in the houses. Housing costs impact the wider economy. Voters and decision makers strangle supply in their own interests, because the status quo is good for them and their capital gains.
We need to shift from viewing our homes as a main source of retirement savings. Focusing on housing price growth for personal gain pollutes the well.

If we are concerned about retirement savings, Boost compulsory super (Kiwisaver isn't compulsory currently), ratchet up the mandatory minimum contribution for Kiwisaver over X many years ala Australia.
Giant super funds would also help with infrastructure investment, as we would have a fund/funds available to purchase Govt bonds. Govt borrowing/bonds are the cheapest way to fund infrastructure.
Im starting to take a dim view of Super. As per recent data, it makes young people poorer and old people richer. Plus Super funds are doing dodgy things like investing in housing funds, driving up housing costs. This circles around to my constant point that business is the only true way to generate wealth.

Im starting to take a dim view of Super. As per recent data, it makes young people poorer and old people richer. Plus Super funds are doing dodgy things like investing in housing funds, driving up housing costs. This circles around to my constant point that business is the only true way to generate wealth.
While it’s an older article and some of the concerns raised in it have been addressed, here’s Gareth Morgan‘s take on investment funds, relating mostly to KiwiSaver.

One of the most accurate places to get an idea of rent is Trade Me and homes.co.nz. They base their rental appraisals on what is advertised for rent in an area and then compare that to the house you’re looking at. I prefer that than appraisals from property managers as they will always push for the highest return for themselves through their management fees.

I wonder if a way to make property investment less attractive would be to modify the new DTI ratios when they come in and instead of a perspective landlord being able to borrow on 100% of their income from both their job and the estimated rental income but have the maximum amount they can borrow based on their entire salary and only half the rental income. Another thing could be to make it that landlords can’t just borrow 100% for a rental property using the existing equity in their family home but are required to have an actual deposit of 15 to 20% which has to be used for the purchase and not be an offset amount to reduce interest.
I used trademe to gauge market rent when setting my rent.
I liked to position myself on the lower side of market rent and get the best, most stable tenant available.
I have dropped the rent on occasion when I've thought rents have come back. Last time was from $450pw down to $425pw for a working mum with two kids. She was a first class tenant and I was happy to reduce the rent rather than risk her feeling she was paying to much by looking at trademe and making comparisons. She stayed for four years, constant rental income for me, no vacancies and my house looked after as if it was hers. Win-win.

While it’s an older article and some of the concerns raised in it have been addressed, here’s Gareth Morgan‘s take on investment funds, relating mostly to KiwiSaver.

I had never thought of "survivorship bias" when it comes to funds. Makes sense though

I read Barefoot Investor a few years ago. Portions of the book are for Australian readers only, but there are some really powerful messages in there about compounding interest, index funds and fund manager fees. Worth reading even if you have a good understanding of financial markets

kids in palmerston north. i have a farm there i spend a few days a week at. so many trouble makers. not surprising when gang members are killing each other in their driveways in their cars with their kids is it?

out of control. these kids just don’t give a fuck.
We just tar all kids from an area as being trouble makers? Esp ones that might actually be going to school.

Where do you see solutions coming from?
Is it youth boot camps, or maybe a less secure work environment (ala ACTs new employment relation changes), or maybe the changes to welfare and changing criteria to get into state and emergency housing?
Or is it the new low pay offer to police, while Australia is on a recruitment drive?
Or the austerity in a recession, driving a longer recession and higher unemployment?

We just tar all kids from an area as being trouble makers? Esp ones that might actually be going to school.

Where do you see solutions coming from?
Is it youth boot camps, or maybe a less secure work environment (ala ACTs new employment relation changes), or maybe the changes to welfare and changing criteria to get into state and emergency housing?
Or is it the new low pay offer to police, while Australia is on a recruitment drive?
Or the austerity in a recession, driving a longer recession and higher unemployment?
not at all, i didn’t say that, i did say i’m surprised kids are even at school. and not out knocking over palmy businesses. i know a lot of business owners there and everyone says the same thing.

i don’t know what the solutions are, youth boot camps?! jesus no. and i would almost certainly disagree with anything ACT say. aside from that end of life choice thing anyway.

all the options you list are from the past few months? youth crime has sky rocketed the last few years.

these kids are not answerable to anyone. they don’t give a fuck. what does more support do? nothing so far.
what does harsh punishment do aside from make better more angry criminals?

whatever happens it’ll take generations to change.

some people are just shitty.
it’s not always poverty or colonization or lack of police.

Try this.

Back