Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
boys, if anyone thinks that there are some good propping options in the NSW cup, the propping stocks don’t look great. Even Laban played a bit meh. Jazz Tevaga was the clear pick of the forwards and the backs like Kosi, Graham Taufa, Setu Tu did a lot of work getting our boys on the front foot. We have no dominant prop on the horizon from
What I saw in Fridays game. Some grafters, work horses but it’s a little concerning.
Zyon Maiu’u!

It's a shame CHT left when he did, because now he is off the pace and behind the 8-ball.

He was a far more rounded half than Metcalf is and would have suited our current style perfectly.

Playing off Egan's directness, and with CHT's ability to play deep into the line squaring up the defensive line would really set that left edge free.
he’ll get his chance soon enough i’m sure.

I mean, After this comment you mocked CHT being shit before he left. I suppose CHT being a local and geting no love on his shlong is a contradiction.
I'm not sure it's disrespect towards Metcalf. You know tackling is part of rugby league aye? We want him to be a more complete player. He has flaws in his game. We want him to work on them. That's it. If he gets better, You can hop off his meat & we can ride him together!
You do realise that Metcalfs effective tackle percentage is better than CHT.

I also never said he is shit, I just said my assessment is that he is an average at best NRL player and his record tends to support that. We have won just 27% of games he has played in.

You do realise that Metcalfs effective tackle percentage is better than CHT.

I also never said he is shit, I just said my assessment is that he is an average at best NRL player and his record tends to support that. We have won just 27% of games he has played in.
He is not a better tackler though. When in a winning team you stats look good. We have brought plenty of Storm players because of good stats but they never kicked on when we were a crap side. I would prefer Metcalf to CHT myself at 6 but he is not at this point in his career a better tackler than CHT.

He is not a better tackler though. When in a winning team you stats look good. We have brought plenty of Storm players because of good stats but they never kicked on when we were a crap side. I would prefer Metcalf to CHT myself at 6 but he is not at this point in his career a better tackler than CHT.
Yet his tackle efficiency rate is higher than CHT so how is he a better tackler?

Metcalf is a superior player to Shaun Johnson as well then if you are going to use win % as the basis of a case 🤣

The disrespect here shown to Metcalf is so unwarranted, if he was a local everyone would be all on his dick.

The bloke scores a try no one else could score in the team, sets up the other by nearly snaking through and getting an ultra quick play of the ball, also nearly put Jackson over the line as well.

He also gave RTS more than a couple opportunities with early ball but he just couldn’t break through.

He also defended hard and people cry cause a couple passes hit the ground which wasn’t his fault to be fair the whole backline was out of sync Johnsons passes hit the turf a few times too.

Yet people calling for him to be dropped is laughable.

On another topic I think letting go of Sironen was a huge mistake, he is a better hooker than Lussick and I think we are really going to struggle to score points with him on the field, he does’t engage the markers at all and his passing is slow, it allows the opposition to rush our line and we lose all our shape,

Agree with you on Lussick.

Metcalf still looks like a great option in a team running 10th.

Still yet to see anything that would suggest he'll be a key part of a premiership winning team - not in the halves anyway.

Happy enough with the Metcalf extension, but this weekends game in the balance and it was all on SJ, he went missing in the second half. He just needs to be better, and it's not like we were losing the yardage battle.
💯. I'm wondering if he's gone one season too many. I don't recall him dipping out last season. Let's hope it was just not our night.

Gould on his podcast has said that the halves is the hardest position to recruit for at the moment as none are on the market. A lot of the top halves are in the veteran class.

Our half options with the exception of Johnson are not the finished product. They all have areas that need improvement. Johnson's main concern is his age. But having them under contract means we can concentrate on recruiting for other areas. Or depending on Johnson's decision either recruiting 1 half or promoting from within.
Makes Manly's signing of Brooks look like a potential genius move. Could be signing of the year. Not that he's great, but he fits what they needed. DCE often looked like he was doing it alone. They are now the club with the most experienced halves pairing in the comp. That's a major advantage in light of that assessment by Gus.

Immediate reaction

Don't hate the extension, it's a pretty fair price.

My judgement of him is still the same in that he and Matt Dufty are the same player.

We know what Metcalf has and plenty of us have been vocal about what's missing.

The tough part is that his lack of vision and instinct is not usually something you can coach.... would love to be wrong.
Valid points. I said the first time I saw him that he runs like a Fb, not a half. There is a bit of Solomone Kata about him. But I think he's going to cross the try line a lot and make us forget those missing parts.

Also regarding Taumalolo, he finished the game playing a bare 22 minutes for 58m. Not sure what’s going on here but could a move be on the cards in the near future?

Such a strange situation.

It has to be a combination of they can't or won't move him or more than likely he's said he ain't leaving.

He's on a dream contract, extended family in Townsville too, done it all in the game - why would he want to move.

I'm loathe to put it all on Payten though. We saw Taumalolo's true colours with how he handled his Tonga defection.

Mate, you pull Metcalf any harder he'll fall off his chair.

One has played in the best defensive Warriors side in over a decade, and one played/was coached in some of the Warriors worst ever teams.

Use some "Commonsense" in your thought process.

So because he played in a worse team he is a better tackler?

If you look at Bunty, Pompey and Tevaga who all played in both teams there isn’t any meaningful difference in their tackle efficiency numbers so you logic is flawed.

So I will ask you again, how is he a better tackler?

Last edited:
Back