Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I think BHU is not mobile or enduring enough to replace AFB. He'd be a great impact prop. But you'd get the same from a BMM imo.
You'd need a Tapine to replace AFB. Very similar player but tapines probably a bit lighter and agile.
Tapine would be great but not an out and out prop being he’s a handy second rower and lock too. AFB is an anomaly with his size so I think it needs to be two players that replace him. I think BHU could fill that true prop role and we could recruit another either starting prop or bench prop. The club are so water tight, it’s hard to know who’s even on their radar.

The club are so water tight, it’s hard to know who’s even on their radar.

The club recruiting over the last 3 years including Nathan Brown's time has been the best in the NRL. We have extremely astute people making our decisions. Some of that credit has to go to Mohawk and Cameron George. Cam George has really grown on me.

The club recruiting over the last 3 years including Nathan Brown's time has been the best in the NRL. We have extremely astute people making our decisions. Some of that credit has to go to Mohawk and Cameron George. Cam George has really grown on me.
It’s a completely different approach to the Peter O Sullivan one of playing it out through the public. Always knew who the were chasing long before they got them. Agree though that’s it’s mostly been top notch. Had the odd one like Kane Evans that didn’t work out.

It’s a completely different approach to the Peter O Sullivan one of playing it out through the public. Always knew who the were chasing long before they got them. Agree though that’s it’s mostly been top notch. Had the odd one like Kane Evans that didn’t work out.
LOL got me there with a good one, I know you are just jesting about Kane. I personally think we should find where he is in England and resign him, What other prop can we get with the volkman cash of 300K?

LOL got me there with a good one, I know you are just jesting about Kane. I personally think we should find where he is in England and resign him, What other prop can we get with the volkman cash of 300K?
Really hard to know what we’ve got cap wise but if we had something like $300k and got $300k of Volkman’s money, $600k gets us a decent prop. Seems strange why we’d shift Volkman on unless it’s to clear a spot. Possible there might not have been room with plenty of halves?

I agree under Webster, Kane Evans could play to the potential we all thought he had.
Would be a cheap prop, (basically Volkmans money) as you alluded to..

You’re really limiting the field there- there would only be half a dozen guys in the comp who tick all those boxes and afb is one of them.
I agree with you.
But that's what he offers.
With him you can have guys like Afoa Barnett and Ale.
Without him you need to see true growth in some if these players or rejig the pack to accommodate 3 or 4 guys who can do bit parts..

I agree with you.
But that's what he offers.
With him you can have guys like Afoa Barnett and Ale.
Without him you need to see true growth in some if these players or rejig the pack to accommodate 3 or 4 guys who can do bit parts..
Don’t think we can forget the platform the team laid on for him and potentially a recruit too. AFB has always offered good stats each year but last year went to another level, he seemed to relish being the sole alpha as opposed to being fairly inconsistent when we last had another high profile front rower in lodge. When you look at AFB’s highlights from last year, SJ is often in around it.

Don’t think we can forget the platform the team laid on for him and potentially a recruit too. AFB has always offered good stats each year but last year went to another level, he seemed to relish being the sole alpha as opposed to being fairly inconsistent when we last had another high profile front rower in lodge. When you look at AFB’s highlights from last year, SJ is often in around it.
He relies on his team sure. His backs for momentum his prop partner for a good first carry. His half for a great end of set.
But all teams do.
And he wasn't as great before Webby but tbf he stood out in a subpar offering.

He relies on his team sure. His backs for momentum his prop partner for a good first carry. His half for a great end of set.
But all teams do.
And he wasn't as great before Webby but tbf he stood out in a subpar offering.
Isaiah Papali’i is a good example of how a great pack complements a player. Went from second rower of the year at the eels in a great pack and performing team to putting up decent numbers in a decent tigers pack but didn’t have the same impact at all.

Hypothetically we sign BHU and all our other props improve a bit...

First carry Barnett? Then BHU? Or are we starting him off the bench? I think maybe Barnett and Niukore to Start , Jazz and Dylan off the bench... an Afoa an Ale a Zyon Maiu’u?
Really need that AFB , Tapine, JFH, Paulo in there imo.
But I do back our development... and our coaching+organisation....
Is Sifakula starting to look big enough that he could be considered a front row option too? Seems to be much bigger than Zyon Maiu’u now.

I’m putting the discussion down to misguided forum chat. Anyone who’s actually bothered to watch the Sharks can see their middles were below average. Rudolf is just about more vanilla than Alex Twal.
Certainly underperforming and probably too bulky for the faster game, but a bit fitter those big guys still have a role but used for impact. We need experience with who we recruit but the sharks have some of the better props coming through in Jesse coulqhoun, Max Bradbury and Tom Hazleton.

This BHU chat concerns me. I genuinely think he’s closer in ability to Bunty than he is to AFB.
I think it’s unlikely we’re going to be able to replace afb with one player- we’re probably gonna need to recruit 2 props to strengthen the position (Even with afb we really need another one).
I’m thinking bhu could be one of them.
Looking strictly at the off contract guys I’d be pretty happy with any combination of bhu/ Tyrell may/ max king for example.

What say ye?

Back