ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
slide.jpg

Ropati and Hurrell recalled for Broncos clash

Source : NZ Warriors

Jerome Ropati returns at fullback and Konrad Hurrell comes into the centres for the Vodafone Warriors’ ninth-round NRL match against the Brisbane Broncos at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday night.
Ropati has recovered from the hamstring strain that ruled him out of the Anzac Day clash against Melbourne, clearing the way for him to replace Kevin Locke.
Locke lasted only six minutes of his return from a leg injury against the Storm when he was forced off with a sternum complaint, which could sideline him for three to four weeks.
The 20-year-old Hurrell, who appeared in the club’s first four matches of the year, is named in the centres with his fellow Vodafone Junior Warriors graduate Ben Henry. Hurrell last played for the NRL side against Gold Coast on March 24; a groin injury sidelined him briefly but he has since been used in the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup, scoring two tries in their 42-38 win against Wentworthville last Saturday.
“Jerome was going really well for us at fullback against South Sydney until he was forced off with his hamstring injury so it’s great that he can come back into the side now Kevin is out injured,” said McClennan.
“Konrad was impressive for us earlier in the season but we also wanted to see him getting in more minutes, which he has been able to do with the Vulcans.”
Also returning to the line-up as expected is halfback Shaun Johnson, who missed the Melbourne game with a shoulder injury he picked up in his Kiwi debut in the April 20 Anzac Test. He comes in for Pita Godinet, one of five players named on the interchange bench.
Prop Russell Packer has been named as a starting front rower after recently being listed on the bench before subsequently starting. McClennan has also slightly shuffled his back row options, with regular loose forward Elijah Taylor named as a starting second rower and Feleti Mateo named in jersey No 13.
McClennan said Jacob Lillyman, who has been sidelined since February with a bicep injury, was in contention to play but still needed to be cleared. Lillyman trained fully with the squad at Otahuhu College yesterday.
Among those not considered were Micheal Luck (wrist), Locke (sternum), Sam Rapira (ankle), Steve Rapira (ankle) and Glen Fisiiahi (groin). Fisiiahi scored another two tries for the Vulcans last Saturday but is now expected to be out of action for a week.
Krisnan Inu, who started his 99th NRL match in the centres last week before moving to fullback for Locke, is included on a five-man bench.
Saturday night’s match will edge interchange forward Ukuma Ta’ai within one appearance of his 50-game milestone. He’s one of 13 players who have been used in all eight games so far.
The Broncos come into the match as one of the competition’s outstanding sides of the season to date. They lost their second game to North Queensland but have since won six on end to lie second on the ladder behind the unbeaten Melbourne Storm. Last Friday night, the Broncos beat Gold Coast 26-6 with their Kiwi connection – Alex Glenn, Gerard Beale and Josh Hoffman – scoring four of their five tries.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v BRISBANE BRONCOS
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
7.30pm, Saturday, May 05

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 Jerome Ropati
2 Bill Tupou
3 Ben Henry
4 Konrad Hurrell
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 James Maloney
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Russell Packer
9 Nathan Friend
10 Ben Matulino
11 Elijah Taylor
12 Simon Mannering (c)
13 Feleti Mateo
Interchange:
14 Lewis Brown
15 Ukuma Ta'ai
16 Sione Lousi
17 Pita Godinet
18 Krisnan Inu

Brisbane Broncos
1 Josh Hoffman
2 Gerard Beale
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Dale Copley
6 Corey Norman
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Petero Civoniceva
11 Alex Glenn
12 Sam Thaiday (c)
13 Corey Parker
Interchange:
14 Ben Hunt
15 Josh McGuire
16 Matt Gillett
17 Ben Te’o

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the Fish ruled out through injury, I guess the Ropo vs Inu debate is a flip of the coin. I'm assuming the Fish would have been chosen had he been fit. Good to see Hurrell back and starting. Interesting to see Feleti named at lock. I suspect it's an attempt to get him more involved and to have Taylor and Mannering on the edges as extra cover for Thaiday and Glenn who have been pretty damaging this season.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

thaiday under big injury cloud according to Andrew Webster at the Daily Tele.

I'm not unhappy with our 17 however I would like to see one of Godinet or Inu make the bench and perhaps Ta'ai make way for Lillyman if he is fit come game time.

Sad thing would be if Inu is 18th again and misses another game and a chance to get his confidence back in NSW cup or NRL.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
shit brisbane have a strong team..

Inu paying the price for last week.. and rightly so imo..

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Warriors 5th Grader
Reaction score
mixed words coming from brisbane..one minute thaiday might be out till end of origin 1...the next he trained today and is fit to play the warriors. make of that what you will.

happy with the warriors team.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
I'm happy with that team. I'm a huge Inu fan, but Ropati > Inu for fullback is pretty logical. Henry has been playing well too, so can't drop him. I'd probably play Inu over Hurrell, but I'm excited to see him back in action. I'm also happy to see Mateo at lock, I think that is a good move.

If Lillyman does come back into contention I hope it's at the expense of Ta'ai, not Godinet.

I wonder where Godinet will play, 30 minutes in hooker for Friend would be logical, but I have a different idea. I'd bring him on at lock for 20-30 minutes. Watching his games for the Vulcans, no matter if he's playing in the halves, hooker or fullback, I think he's the most dangerous coming running the ruck, targeting lazy defenders. Having him as a pseudo-ball-playing-lock would be a good move, albeit a slightly risky move.

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not a bad team, would like to see Henry switch to lock, Mateo back to second row, Taylor to left centre and Hurrell to his favoured right side. Mind you, he'll see more ball on Johnsons side than Maloneys. Henry to lock as Taylor's a little faster and more agile and I don't want to see Mateo bogged down in the gritty stuff.

If Ropati is back and both Inu and Godinet still make a 5 man bench then one or two players still aren't 100%. Probably Johnson and Ropati at a guess.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
Is Taylor to the second row a knee jerk reaction to our weak fringe defense, or to improve/change our attack? I really like what Taylor was doing against the Rabbitohs, running good inside lines giving Johnson another option - which as we all saw freed up a lot of space out wide. I'm not sure whether we want Mateo doing donkey work like that - however, he is our best line runner, so it would work well. I'm looking forward to seeing him pop up on both sides of the park, so he can combine with both Johnson and Maloney though.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don’t think I would like to see Godinet playing lock against that forward pack!

I think him to replace Friend for 20minutes for a bit of spark would be the best option, even though I don’t think he’s a hooker, I can see him causing some troubles running from dummy half.

He’s probably also there to cover Johnson.

Good team I reckon, rather see Ropati at fullback than centre. Exciting to see Hurrell!!

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
I don’t think I would like to see Godinet playing lock against that forward pack!

I think him to replace Friend for 20minutes for a bit of spark would be the best option, even though I don’t think he’s a hooker, I can see him causing some troubles running from dummy half.

He’s probably also there to cover Johnson.

Good team I reckon, rather see Ropati at fullback than centre. Exciting to see Hurrell!!
No different to him defending at hooker, no? I guess it means that there are two little men on at the same time, along with Friend - which could be problematic. How about a double interchange of Mateo and Friend for Brown and Godinet, where they share the hooking duties? Bring them on at the end of the first half to try run them ragged.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Good ass team man. I've got no problem with that based off our injury concerns. Hopefully Lillyman can get into the team. Rapira and Lillyman on that bench gives us a really powerful team. Maybe Mateo to lock is more of an attacking thing then a defense thing? Who knows...

Reaction score
22 BEAST

22 BEAST

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Im happy with the team, stoked to see Konrad given another chance, he is a tank. What is Fishes injury?

Id like to think home ground advantage and the fact that the Broncos aren't playing on a Friday night we should topple them.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Im happy with the team, stoked to see Konrad given another chance, he is a tank. What is Fishes injury?

Id like to think home ground advantage and the fact that the Broncos aren't playing on a Friday night we should topple them.

Can't wait for Saturday!
Groin strain. I still feel this is inconsistent selection policy. If you have one bad game and get dropped. Well lots of people have played badly and not been dropped.

If I was Bluey and I didn't like Inu, just give him the flick or not play him and let him rust. I hate what he is doing.

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Good ass team man. I've got no problem with that based off our injury concerns. Hopefully Lillyman can get into the team. Rapira and Lillyman on that bench gives us a really powerful team. Maybe Mateo to lock is more of an attacking thing then a defense thing? Who knows...
Totally agree. Great team. Ta'ai to be replaced by Lillyman, if fit. Godinet to impact off the bench. Muts to have another massive game.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Groin strain. I still feel this is inconsistent selection policy. If you have one bad game and get dropped. Well lots of people have played badly and not been dropped.

If I was Bluey and I didn't like Inu, just give him the flick or not play him and let him rust. I hate what he is doing.
yeah, it gets my back up. Every other player gets the luxury of remaining in the squad to hit the milestone game (Under Ivan and Bluey), but Inu has been languishing in the high 90s since late last year.

If nothing else, Bluey should let him get game 100 out of the way and then banish him to the Vulcans. It seems ridiculous that Ta'ai has almost notched up 50 games, yet can be such a liability with silly tackles and loose carries.

Reaction score
Xt1ncT

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am hugely worried about this game....however if our forwards muscle
Up like they did in Melbourne it
Will set a platform for the backs.

Fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Honestly, if we can replicate the first 60 of last week we'll be sitting pretty. Hopefully Ropo can just be steady. All he needs to do is catch the bombs and not muff the kick returns, nothing fancy required with Johnson, Maloney, Mateo and Godinet all on deck.

Should be interesting to see Hurrell in top grade again. Wonder if he'll manage to cement a spot in the team?

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Good team, I really fancy our chances here.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
They are going to bomb Ropati all day. Ropati will just look at the ball and not attempt to catch it.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You're being a bit harsh there. I'm not saying he'll catch them all, but he'll have a go at least.

Besides, it's players he watches go past, not balls.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Maybe, but my evidence is the bunnies game

Top Bottom