Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
The game where Curran was sent off against Melbourne for nothing was when he was at his devastating best... That season was when he was so good... It's a shame he dropped off so much, he had some good games this season but nothing like when he was being talked about in origin... All the best to him, I feel we got a lot of depth in that position it's a middle forward we need just to bolster our middle stocks... I'm sure that's still a priority... I would sign Metcalf for at least 2-3 seasons we need that speed if we want to challenge for the big one especially now having RTS back, would also have RTS playing that roving style Maguire has Manu doing for the Kiwis... Let's get it done

The way I see it, nek year as it stands we probably look like:

AFB
Egan
Barnett
Ford
Niukore
Tohu

Walker
Jazz

And then 2 of:
CHT
Ale
Bunty
Sifakula
Zyon Maiu’u

It does feel to me that were one more consistent first grade prop away from really making a push for a premiership in 2023.
It's hard - do we throw all our eggs in the one basket and try to get a 600k prop over for next year to make a charge? Likely SJ and Tohu's last year, and with a lot more experience from this year and Roger, CHT and a big prop, we could really go close next year.

With all the promise of our youngsters, were still probably 3 years away from seeing the best of players like Metcalf, Volkman, Berry, Sifakula, Zyon Maiu’u ect so I think we need to go hard and get a 120m + big bopper with an offload and decent defence.

Braden Hamlin-Uele, Taniela Paseka or Tof Sipley would be my best bets for around that 4-600k mark, not sure we could get any of them for nek year tho
From what I've been hearing because my uncle's pretty close with SJ, he won't be hanging up boots till 25 or 26 maybe even longer depending on how his body holds up and wether we want to keep him longer which is pretty much what Webby has said they will reassess every year where he is at, looking at he's past year compared to his last 12, he's stats are almost double times better in this last year than in he's whole career, so for me he is in he's prime and should get even better with age, game slows down for halfbacks around he's age can't wait to see what he dishes up next year with hopefully Metcalf

Last edited:
From what I've been hearing because my uncle's pretty close with SJ, he won't be hanging up boots till 25 or 26 maybe even longer depending on how his body holds up and wether we want to keep him longer which is pretty much what Webby has said they will reassess every year where he is at, looking at he's past year compared to his last 12, he's stats are almost double times better in this last year than in he's whole career, so for me he is in he's prime and should get even better with age, game slows down for halfbacks around he's age can't wait to see what he dishes up next year with hopefully Metcalf
Great for the team and our mid term future.

But that sort of uncertainty is also a killer for planning and replacement development. That’s the sort of situation where the next superstar gets frustrated waiting and looks for opportunities.

Anyway, I’m all for getting as long as we can out of SJ and worry about the future when we need to.

Don’t know what ur uncs is hearing. SJ already signed with sky sport for next year. He’s retiring… did you see his Instagram post as well? “One last dance”

Would not be keen unless he is dirt cheap and pulls his finger out.
if he’s dirt cheap and wanted to come home he could be a project for Webster. He was averaging over 100m and 95% tackle efficiency last year.

I just feel he may be a victim of playing 8 years at the Bulldogs and only making the finals once in that time. It’s got to sap your enthusiasm being a bulldog… or perhaps he’s one of the reasons they don’t make the top 8 🤔

if he’s dirt cheap and wanted to come home he could be a project for Webster. He was averaging over 100m and 95% tackle efficiency last year.

I just feel he may be a victim of playing 8 years at the Bulldogs and only making the finals once in that time. It’s got to sap your enthusiasm being a bulldog… or perhaps he’s one of the reasons they don’t make the top 8 🤔
There were rumours when he came to NZ recently that we were an option. Get the feeling we’d be happy to get him but digging our heels for bulldogs to pay as much as possible, and if they don’t no worries see ya later. He came through at a time when Bunty did and if he really made a go of it and wanted to be apart of something special I personally think he could offer what Bunty does off the bench and upside being covers prop/second row/lock. Almost an ideal big utility forward, think him and Barnett would be ideal bench forwards.

I'd take him over nothing at all. If he gets the Webby boost he'll be serviceable. Not going to move the dial on us getting into a GF though.
If he’s costing next to nothing it could be a shrewd move, we could see some variations on the bench next year and someone like him could be handy to carry on the bench for some size against the bigger packs in the competition with Bunty or Zyon Maiu’u. The promotion of a dummy half to assistant coach could see Walker learn the nuances of playing there at a pinch if Egan goes down to carry big bench sometimes.

If he’s costing next to nothing it could be a shrewd move, we could see some variations on the bench next year and someone like him could be handy to carry on the bench for some size against the bigger packs in the competition with Bunty or Zyon Maiu’u. The promotion of a dummy half to assistant coach could see Walker learn the nuances of playing there at a pinch if Egan goes down to carry big bench sometimes.
I agree. Especially if the dogs are picking up most of his salary. Consistent effort and attitude saw him appointed club captain before the cluster at Belmore23 unraveled - as far as I can tell he fell out of favour when he became the 'face' of a disaffected playing group when players approached him in his capacity as club captain and he relayed their concerns... then he trained sick and wound up with pneumonia. He's got the size and ability to trouble oppositions and he'd come here with something to prove. Agree juniors need to be the priority but I'd take RFM over Jazz on the bench any day as Jazz sadly just isn't big enough to foot it with the top 4 team forward packs.

And let's not forget he fits the hyphenated name brief!!