General Your 2024 lineup

A bit of a depth chart, really liking the fact we've got competition for spots in almost every aspect.
Except for how the bench falls, the rest is how I'd see things come round one.

1 - CNK / TUAUPIKI / RTS / TMM / METCALF
2 - DWZ / KOSI / KALI
3 - POMPEY / LEIATAUA / MOIMOI
4 - RTS / BERRY / CHT
5 - MONTOYA / AUKUSITINO
6 - METCALF / TMM / CHT / FARR
7 - SJ / VOLKMAN / TMM
8 - AFB / AFOA / MAIU'U / TEVAGA
9 - EGAN / LUSSICK / CHT / TEVAGA / WALKER / FUKOFUKA
10 - NIUKORE / ALE / MAIU'U / SIFAKULA
11 - CAPEWELL / FORD / LABAN
12 - BARNETT / STOWERS-SMITH / HALASIMA
13 - HARRIS / WALKER / TEVAGA / STOWERS-SMITH

14 - WALKER / TEVAGA / CHT /
15 - TEVAGA / AFOA / ROACHE
16 - AFOA / ALE / HALASIMA
17 - ALE / GOING / SIFIKULA

COACH - WEBINATOR

Good thoughts. There’s certain spots that are locked in imo, and a few up for debate. One centre spot, the 6 jersey, the 14 jersey & a bench prop. Everything else is locked in.

Ranked in my opinion:
Centre: pompey, berry, Leiataua
6: TMM, metcalf, CHT
14: CHT, lussick
17: Tevaga, Ale, Afoa, Zyon Maiu’u

How about that depth though
Said it before, it was a mistake resigning Pompey.

Won’t be first choice by season end even if he does make it week one.

Holds up development, uses up a squad spot and Pompey will be playing reserve grade while first grade standard.

I’m picking Ali and RTS as our centres by year end.

Said it before, it was a mistake resigning Pompey.

Won’t be first choice by season end even if he does make it week one.

Holds up development, uses up a squad spot and Pompey will be playing reserve grade while first grade standard.

I’m picking Ali and RTS as our centres by year end.
Who's your kicker if SJ's body can't handle it? The thing that gets me about Pomps is that he's not even a particularly good kicker, but he's still miles ahead of anyone else. Bit of a worry. I hope the 6s are putting in some extra practice after training.

Mitch Barnett kicks @ 75%
Nice from you there. I had to look that up, and you're about right - he's kicked 16 goals in his career (@ over 80%). I remember prop Ollie le Roux kicked a Super Rugby conversion for the Sharks v the Hurricanes for a career kicking record of 100%.

Barnett said in an interview with the Mad Monday/ACC blokes that he cant/wont kick anymore.
We do have CHT, Metcalf and Volkman who I would say are all better kickers than Pompey and Barnett.
RTS also has a 100% kicking record for us :p
Yeah, I don't realistically see him as an option especially considering he's not an 80 minute player.

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. RTS
5. Montoya
6. Metcalf
7. Johnson
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Ford
12. Capewell
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. CHT
16. Nuikore
17. Bunty Afoa

First 3 rounds
1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. RTS
4. Pompey
5. Montoya
6. TMM/CHT
7. Johnson

8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Afoa
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Barnett
16. Niukore
17. Lussick/CHT

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’d pick Pompey as he’s our most experienced centre.

I’d pick Afoa simply because he is larger than the other guys. All I want from him is carries and tackles, that’s it. First 20min and 10-15min stint in second half.

I’d also move Ford to the right side so we can put Capewell with RTS on the left and give him the best chance to succeed. Capewell’s defence isn’t the best but it’s not that bad.

Although a bloody good player, unfortunately our hooker is made of glass. As a result I feel we need actual hooker cover on the bench. Having Walker fill that role kinda defeats the purpose of even having him.

Interestingly, I see Metcalf as a casualty of the Capewell signing. An unnecessary flashy guy with questionable defence, now surplus to requirements unfortunately.

First 3 rounds
1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. RTS
4. Pompey
5. Montoya
6. TMM/CHT
7. Johnson

8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Afoa
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Barnett
16. Niukore
17. Lussick/CHT

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’d pick Pompey as he’s our most experienced centre.

I’d pick Afoa simply because he is larger than the other guys. All I want from him is carries and tackles, that’s it. First 20min and 10-15min stint in second half.

I’d also move Ford to the right side so we can put Capewell with RTS on the left and give him the best chance to succeed. Capewell’s defence isn’t the best but it’s not that bad.

Although a bloody good player, unfortunately our hooker is made of glass. As a result I feel we need actual hooker cover on the bench. Having Walker fill that role kinda defeats the purpose of even having him.

Interestingly, I see Metcalf as a casualty of the Capewell signing. An unnecessary flashy guy with questionable defence, now surplus to requirements unfortunately.
Pretty much my team also, though the choice between an RTS/Berry and a Pompey/RTS centre combo is going to be interesting - I like Pompey but the combo of Berry and DWZ was really good this season and likely only going to get better. I like Afoa starting and both Barnett and Niukore off the bench too, though you could look at losing Afoa for Barnett starting and have Ale on the bench.

Either way, I'd be very happy with that team running out for round 1

Pretty much my team also, though the choice between an RTS/Berry and a Pompey/RTS centre combo is going to be interesting - I like Pompey but the combo of Berry and DWZ was really good this season and likely only going to get better. I like Afoa starting and both Barnett and Niukore off the bench too, though you could look at losing Afoa for Barnett starting and have Ale on the bench.

Either way, I'd be very happy with that team running out for round 1

I went with Niukore and Barnett on the bench for the impact. People go on about the 1-2 punch of Walker and Jazz, which is good don’t get me wrong. But a 3 piece combo of Walker, Niukore and Barnett will be simply spectacular. I also feel that having them on the bench will somewhat minimise the loss of having AFB on the bench.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see any of these teams step up...

Love the innovation of Niukore in the middle - so long as he has a full pre-season on lowering his centre of gravity, for go forward and tackle technique

we're looking like a scary prospect if the highs of last season can be reached again as we will definitely have a more solid base to work off (literally and figuratively)

Don’t believe this. He’s played 20+ games last 3 seasons.

Very durable… but also very smart. Any knock or touch of the head he’s down like he’s been run over bully a truck… free interchange and maybe a penalty!

Ok, fair enough. In a way I kinda agree. He played 62 of 75 (82.6%) games, not great definitely not bad.

But he spends a lot of time on the sideline, Right? Injury, head knock, whatever. So we need regular hooker cover. Which is really my main point in that regard.

Not Walker btw.

Ok, fair enough. In a way I kinda agree. He played 62 of 75 (82.6%) games, not great definitely not bad.

But he spends a lot of time on the sideline, Right? Injury, head knock, whatever. So we need regular hooker cover. Which is really my main point in that regard.

Not Walker btw.

Yeah I get you, I double checked the stats too after you said that and yeah, for me a smaller guy playing in the forwards playing 82% of their games in 3 years is great and we don't need to worry, but again if you look in to how many games he was injured and we had to rejig our team this year it certainly has an impact and is something I think we need to look at. Hopefully Chanel can play 15-20 minutes a game at hooker to give Egan a rest. A fit Egan for 65 minutes a game would be ideal, so hopefully that's sorted.

My team for Nek year:
CNK
DWZ
Berry
Roger
Montoya
TMM/Metcalf (I prefer TMM but both are fine)
SJ
AFB
Egan
Niukore
Capewell
Ford
Tohu

CHT
Walker
Barnett

Any of Ale, Jazz, Bunty, Zyon Maiu’u, Laban, Sifakula and Leka through out the year for that last spot. I'd like a horse's for courses approach for that last spot. Need more speed? Pick a fast back rower. Need more power? Pick out biggest prop.

That's looking really good, and if we stay injury free for most of the year with our key players I think were in with a big chance

With Cappy saying that we're done for 2024 recruitment after Capewell, the make up of the bench is looking like the most interesting point going into next season. I'm not sure I'm sold on Webby moving Niukore or Harris into the front row just yet, though I suppose it is possible. I'd imagine Walker is a lock for 14 but the rest is probably up for debate.

Personally, I think it's the most logical spot for Capewell, but I'm not sure on what we do with the other two spots. I prefer Barnett off the bench but Bunty probably isn't quite at the level to start for a top 4 team. Jazz often giveth and taketh away in equal measure. I'd be keen to see Ale for an extended period but he hasn't really blown anybody away with his performances to date. Zyon Maiu’u and Laban are untested, Sifakula as well to an extent. And in terms of utilities, Lussick is quite bad, I kinda hate CHT as a 9, and I'm not sure TMM can fill in in enough positions. Perhaps Metcalf can come off the bench, buzz around and cause some issues with his speed, if CHT starts at 6, but that's a pretty niche role. With all that in mind I'd probably go...

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. RTS
5. Montoya
6. Metcalf/CHT
7. Johnson
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Ford
12. Niukore
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Tevaga
16. Capewell
17. Ale

Bench is lacking in size and impact so I could see one of Zyon Maiu’u or Laban getting an extended opportunity.

Back