Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Yeah! Tanner can hit too! He has awesome technique. He reminds me alot of Isaiah Papalii. Short & stocky, Hard to tackle and hits even harder.
I wouldn’t say he’s hard to tackle. In fact I think he’s pretty easy to tackle.

I think there’s every chance he becomes more of a Michael Luck type player with a lot stockier build.

Will be interesting to see his development, i think he has more potential than someone like David Bhana, but I don’t think his ceiling is that high and I think they’re rating him too highly just because they poached him from the Crusaders set up.

I wouldn’t say he’s hard to tackle. In fact I think he’s pretty easy to tackle.

I think there’s every chance he becomes more of a Michael Luck type player with a lot stockier build.

Will be interesting to see his development, i think he has more potential than someone like David Bhana, but I don’t think his ceiling is that high and I think they’re rating him too highly just because they poached him from the Crusaders set up.
He's a league boy, but just ended up in the rah-rah system because that is what most athletic young men do at High School in Chch. I agree with Fonzie that Tanner probably doesn't have a lot of speed, but he should be able to at least develop the power game. I see him as a Moses Leota / Leeson Ah Mau type player if he moulds more into a prop role - solid prop you want to have in your side, but perhaps not as dynamic as Haas / Tino / AFB - or could develop his silky ball skills and become a Tohu clone at 13.

The most rose tinted, optimistic glasses version of all this is that AFB genuinely has family concerns and this call came about coincidentally after Nov 1. The Warriors have then said "Mate, we understand, let's try to make this work, give you some extra time in aussie after games, etc, and we'll see what we can do to make this tenable beyond 2024" and AFB has been like "$$$$.. I mean, yep, sure".

Do I believe it for a second? Fuck no, but I'm allowed to dream.
Almost the same as Payne Hass no?

Haven't had time to take a look but would love someone to post a comprehensive list of what marquee is available for 2025.

What intrigues me is lets say some of these esteemed junior middles step up big time, we have a cool milly per year to look at other positions.

We could presumably hunt a marquee half to replace SJ post retirement as an example. What if Brian To'o was the next one squezzed out of Penrith - come on over etc etc

Haven't had time to take a look but would love someone to post a comprehensive list of what marquee is available for 2025.

What intrigues me is lets say some of these esteemed junior middles step up big time, we have a cool milly per year to look at other positions.

We could presumably hunt a marquee half to replace SJ post retirement as an example. What if Brian To'o was the next one squezzed out of Penrith - come on over etc etc
I don't think we need a marque. Just a big body that can churn out 60 minutes.

That's my opinion anyway.

2024 is clearly our premiership window now.
I say we offer a deal to the Cowboys, we take JT immediately, we pay him as much as we can spare this year and they pay freight on the rest.
But then we take over the full contract from 2025.
It'll hurt the Cowboys initially, but they'll retain their other key players and bounce back salary cap wise after 1 year.
We get 1 solid crack at it in 2024, then have a veteran in the pack for the following 3 years who is potentially overpaid, but a good mentor for the young forwards we plan to bring through.

I don't think we need a marque. Just a big body that can churn out 60 minutes.

That's my opinion anyway.
...2. We were looking for one before this bombshell already ;)

Good to see all the detail on the juniors above. But I've got to say rationalising smaller nuggety props will see us stuck at fringe top 8 level. To consistently match it with the top 4 we need bigger bodies. We just can't go with them at the moment even with AFB. AFB took his game to another level this year with his step but even with him and Barnett playing well we struggled on attack and D against the big, mobile packs.

I take comfort that Webby& Cappy are on it tho. I don't think I've ever had so much faith that team management are across all the things we're throwing around and more. Although I suspect landing recruitment targets will be harder until prospects can see what life after AFB looks like.

I wonder if this is atill

James Fisher-Harris, Moses Leota and Spencer Lenui all say hello 🤗
atill?

Haha, fair on Leniu (183) and (Leota)182. JFH 187cm wouldn't call him smaller...

or Haas, Nelson, Tino, Fifita, Carrigan, AFB... @ 186-200

Just an opinion... we're not going to win a premiership without beating top 4 sides and even with AFB we haven't coped with their packs.

The news yesterday was great to hear.

Now we need to wait to see if it comes up again. Either during the pre season or early in the season. If it comes up again like other rumours or potential releases I'd say it will get to the point he'll be released.

If we don't here anything for a while and we could be good. Then it's a case of both the club and AFB assessing how 2024 is working and if he still wants a release and finding a replacement. It does give the club more time to find a replacement.

Can’t shake the feeling the AFB thing was a combo of wanting more notoriety (ie more money to feel more valued) and was granted that by the club. Pure speculation but can’t shake the thought of it. If so, hopefully that keeps Mrs AFB satisfied for a bit.

Can’t shake the feeling the AFB thing was a combo of wanting more notoriety (ie more money to feel more valued) and was granted that by the club. Pure speculation but can’t shake the thought of it. If so, hopefully that keeps Mrs AFB satisfied for a bit.
Hope not, and hope we’re still in for that experienced forward that McFadden mentioned before all this broke. He’s still the highest paid front rower in the comp and if he’s still here next year I hope he plays accordingly as he did this year. My biggest concern is this season looked to me like there was a real bond and friendship throughout the group and I think a group that enjoys each other’s company seems to go well rather than the alternative. I just worry that if AFB doesn’t want to be here enough and fractures the group that next year is down the tubes, as it is to be fair if he walks as it stands. Big gamble for the club that he puts in, but I guess he needs to to secure his next contract.

Last preseason we offloaded BMM, Kina Kepu & Otukolo while signing Wiliame & upgrading Tuaupiki from a T&T to a fulltime gig.
I reckon we're still to see 3-4 roster moves before Xmas as Webby stamps his mark
Looking forward to any train and trial announcements to see if there’s a player with some promise like Tuaupiki. I see the titans have announced theirs.

I wouldn't think so, our game is fairly reliant on our back 3 to get us out of our own end. I don't think his frame is up to that task.
But he could do that role from fullback? I wonder, given he played 6 for NZ A, if he could provide cover for 1, 2, 5, 6 and 9 from the bench. He would be more electric than some of the other options in that utility position.

I wouldn't think so, our game is fairly reliant on our back 3 to get us out of our own end. I don't think his frame is up to that task.
Could be like Turuva for the panthers. Montoya gets first dibs but there’s a few aspects of his game he needs to sort out too I reckon.

Yes but not as 1st or 2nd choice.
He didn’t disgrace himself for NZA at 6 either. Some decision making was a bit wayward and didn’t light it up either, but with limited time there in the past there could be something to work with. Will be interesting who the halves will be in nsw cup next year, been speculation around Volkman, though perhaps unfounded, does Ben Farr return at 6? Panthers half coming over, if Metcalf hangs around either him TMM or CHT will be in first grade so the others in nsw cup? There might be too many options to give him a go there. Seems to be a bit of a current trend at the moment too with quick small fullbacks like Fa’alogo or Kini coming through, Tuaupiki joins that list.