Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
No snowflakes allowed! Poor little buttercup wants to go through life without any consequences......Ffs

From what I read I feel bad for the bloke.
Was told to arrive at 8am for strapping, before wrestling at 830am. He didn't need strapping so arrived before the wrestling and got in a bunch of shit.

A simple misunderstanding. But I think the Bulldogs were hell bent on changing their culture and used him as an example.

Did anyone see how much Jetts contract is worth? Haven't seen that anywhere so far.

I get how there's a lot of talk of Jett pulling a Walsh down the track, or that his return is pre-planned to return back to Penrith. But at the end of the day what are we meant to do? The younger brother of arguably the best half of all time has agreed to come to your club, of course were going to take that.
As far as I'm concerned, we've got 3 years to convince him to stay. He's here with his old halves mate, I'd be doing everything in my power to get him connected to the culture, get him a beautiful long term wahine, and the keys to the Warriors (who should be playing consistent finals footy the next few years) on top of a massive bump in pay...it's gonna be hard to turn all of that down.

He's ours to lose imo

Did anyone see how much Jetts contract is worth? Haven't seen that anywhere so far.

I get how there's a lot of talk of Jett pulling a Walsh down the track, or that his return is pre-planned to return back to Penrith. But at the end of the day what are we meant to do? The younger brother of arguably the best half of all time has agreed to come to your club, of course were going to take that.
As far as I'm concerned, we've got 3 years to convince him to stay. He's here with his old halves mate, I'd be doing everything in my power to get him connected to the culture, get him a beautiful long term wahine, and the keys to the Warriors (who should be playing consistent finals footy the next few years) on top of a massive bump in pay...it's gonna be hard to turn all of that down.

He's ours to lose imo
Anyone know any single ladies we can hook him up with?

The thing with Jett signing, is that we have several avenues of recruitment and this is one: young potential. JFH is the other: star marquee signing of established talent. I believe these are connected but also separate - and that Jett was an ongoing convo whereas JFH was random out of the blue. Wanna tip my cap to Cappy - he is managing this cap in a way that is so impressive.

To the point of potential marquee signing, we are probably done BUT knowing Cappy there is room to wriggle with for next year (and definitely a long-term plan)

For the young talent, wow, how fortunate are we to have the ability to recruit ON TOP OF the ridiculous talent that is now wanting to be part of the Wahs. Adding a sprinkling of aussie talent (especially in spine positions) seems like a very astute move.

All up, recruitment-wise, we are FINALLY on a part that seems sustainable and potentially fruitful. Up the Wahs, Up Cappy, Up Webby and even... Up CG haha.

Jett is a good PR sighing for us. If he isn't the best in their system then he is coming here to see if he can get a shot at first grade through a more likely path. It's still good for us to have him in our system given our inability to create halves that can step up in recent times.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is part of the penrith- warriors you scratch our back we scratch yours relationship. But unless he is blocking someone else it's still OK for us, people grow at different rates, might be a late bloomer.

From what I read I feel bad for the bloke.
Was told to arrive at 8am for strapping, before wrestling at 830am. He didn't need strapping so arrived before the wrestling and got in a bunch of shit.

A simple misunderstanding. But I think the Bulldogs were hell bent on changing their culture and used him as an example.
I dont.

Anybody involved in team sport knows times are set for practices, meetings or whatever arent subject to wether you feel you need to attend them or not. No way in hell your going to run a succesful operation if u start letting those standards slip. And it doesnt matter what level u play at there's always been team imposed penalties when those standards arent met.

Did the trainer go overboard? Probably, I get he was physically struggling by the end of it, but for what he's taking action over nearly every footy player who's ever done a boot camp/pre season where by the end their vomiting/passing out in some cases can do the same.

Anyway without wanting to turn this into a Jackson Topine thread any other discussion best we start another one.

I dont.

Anybody involved in team sport knows times are set for practices, meetings or whatever arent subject to wether you feel you need to attend them or not. No way in hell your going to run a succesful operation if u start letting those standards slip. And it doesnt matter what level u play at there's always been team imposed penalties when those standards arent met.

Did the trainer go overboard? Probably, I get he was physically struggling by the end of it, but for what he's taking action over nearly every footy player who's ever done a boot camp/pre season where by the end their vomiting/passing out in some cases can do the same.

Anyway without wanting to turn this into a Jackson Topine thread any other discussion best we start another one.
Rabbits Leon Te Hau rushed to hospital during the week from collapsing at training and the death of Keith Titmuss a while back, would imagine there’s a bit of a spotlight put on the levels they are pushing these guys to that could come out in all that Topine has levelled against the bulldogs. Just like any job, you expect to go home at the end of the day

Rabbits Leon Te Hau rushed to hospital during the week from collapsing at training and the death of Keith Titmuss a while back, would imagine there’s a bit of a spotlight put on the levels they are pushing these guys to that could come out in all that Topine has levelled against the bulldogs. Just like any job, you expect to go home at the end of the day
The guy was obviously late and potentially a bit of numpty if he was confused about his starting time commitments. And I get the old school punishment but we are now in an age of player unions, collective agreements, health & safety and employment contracts. I would be surprised if the bulldogs win this. Be interesting to see what their defence is considering rules and laws around employee and employer conduct.

Do we give Jackson Topine a lifeline?
Do we make him wrestle for it? Line up the boys gauntlet style. Too soon for that joke?

Some of the figures quoted that they made him work through is a bit excessive. Even MMA fighter training for a title fight wouldn't go against that many fresh fighters. They need to wrestle for long periods and it is a key component for their

Rugby league players wrestle to slow the play the ball down. You would maybe make him do a bit of wrestling for being late or do like age groups and make him run around the field. The wrestling sessions, especially when it is excessive would be a higher risk of injury. If he got injured they are a player down then. Even if it wasn't in that instance it could happen in another one.

Shows the difference between team sports where you are wheel in a cog compared to an individual sport where the athlete can have more say. MMA fighters the camp is about them. Even in other sports if the coach is leading things they would likely have a word with the player.

The guy was obviously late and potentially a bit of numpty if he was confused about his starting time commitments. And I get the old school punishment but we are now in an age of player unions, collective agreements, health & safety and employment contracts. I would be surprised if the bulldogs win this. Be interesting to see what their defence is considering rules and laws around employee and employer conduct.
The guy was late and likely it’s his fault, but to be knackered after wrestling 30 guys and not throwing in the towel tells me he’s got heart. It’s a tough balance because I understand that you’re wanting to imbed the things to make the individual a better person and a better player, and there must be a lot of egos that need managing but pushing them to the verge of exhaustion and collapse is a dangerous tightrope to walk that’s already seen the worst outcome occur

Shows how dire our situation is in terms of junior halves coming through.

Luke Hanson hasn’t quite settled I feel but the rest of the Jersey Flegg halves are legit terrible.

I didn’t particularly rate either of the SG ball halves, the Australian kid Soric or the Wellington kid Maui

The Australian half in our Harold Matts team Jack Thompson from the Knights set up looks decent but he’s even younger than Cleary.

Hopefully Jett aligns with his families Akld club, Mt Albert.
I’m sure Ivan’s mate, John Ackland, will try and do his best to ensure that this happens.
Pt Chev may have different ideas?

Totally the club has duty of care especially with the Titmuss tragedy.

The Topine case is different, he was disciplined for something whether it was correct or not who knows.

As ex players have come and said this happens all the time at every club, ours would be no different.

But if Topine wins this case it would set a precedent where there might no be a game in 10 years. Extreme I know but some players looking for pay days will pull this card.

Shows how dire our situation is in terms of junior halves coming through.

Luke Hanson hasn’t quite settled I feel but the rest of the Jersey Flegg halves are legit terrible.

I didn’t particularly rate either of the SG ball halves, the Australian kid Soric or the Wellington kid Maui

The Australian half in our Harold Matts team Jack Thompson from the Knights set up looks decent but he’s even younger than Cleary.
Listening to Phil Gould it sounds like young halves is an issue throughout the competition. His argument is that the best at the moment are veterans. But he'd also have a bit of knowledge as he needs to fill teams through the Bulldogs systems.

Mind you it could also be a good reason to get back on his high horse about a halves academy again. Just a few of the people in this competition do have their own agendas.

Halves isn't a position we develop well. It would be a case of getting coaching through the grades. In some grades or areas it might need a bit of changing the way the game is played instead of just shuffling it to the young star centre or back rower who busts through.

It is good we can attract young players from Australia. We need to get to the point that is an exception. Either for a positional hole or an exceptional talent.

If we get the systems right hopefully we get enough of every position coming through. It still may go in cycles with more centres or front rowers for a few years.

Crikey I missed this.

I wrote a contrary post about how signing a Cleary was not a good idea, how we are being Cuckoo birded, we are now foster parents of a foreign species, we are going to provide the worm food, for one who will rejoin his own when nature (Ivan) recalls him home.

I like to try and have plasticity in my thinking (can be molded and not rigid) I like to try to be malleable, I like being wrong, I value most in life when my ideas are challenged and I have to make adjustments, because I believe that process is the hallmark of human intelligence.

Please make my post make me look like an idiot, already I am back pedaling so fast it is giving me ankle blisters.

Welcome home NZ citizen lmao.
yep & grab a kiwi chick pronto lol