Politics NZ Politics

I would look at redoing KO with ‘levels’ of tenancy based around independence and social issues. Standard residential housing right down to rural container parks with bare minimum basics.

You ‘earn’ the right to move to nicer accomodation or get demoted down to more basic accomodation for uncivilised behaviour.

This would give an incentive for tenant to be pro-social and give the community confidence in KO houses being good neighbours.

Aligned with that the lower level you are, the more you get intensive wrap around social services.

I would look at redoing KO with ‘levels’ of tenancy based around independence and social issues. Standard residential housing right down to rural container parks with bare minimum basics.

You ‘earn’ the right to move to nicer accomodation or get demoted down to more basic accomodation for uncivilised behaviour.

This would give an incentive for tenant to be pro-social and give the community confidence in KO houses being good neighbours.

Aligned with that the lower level you are, the more you get intensive wrap around social services.
Great idea but wouldn't likely comply with RTA.

Maybe the wrong thread but important slice of history.
The 80th anniversary of the battle for Cassino has just come about. It is an important part of our military history and particularly the role played by the 28th Maori Battalion. I have read Christopher Pugsly account of the battle and also a soldiers personal diary.
The 28th Battalion took the brunt of the fighting, constantly having to go forward when the Allies stalled. They were not scared of casualties and took no prisoners. Without them many more casualties would have happened.
I hope this history is taught in schools but I doubt it.

Kiri Allan has plead guilty to the charge of refusing to accompany a police officer along with other charges around her driving accident last year. She had unsuccessfully applied to be discharged without a conviction for the refusing to accompany charge. She received a $300 fine and has to pay over $5,000 in reparation for damage to the ute she hit.

Such a waste.... one of the few up and coming stars of the last Labour government. I'd met her a few times and had a lot of time for her.

Kiri Allan has plead guilty to the charge of refusing to accompany a police officer along with other charges around her driving accident last year. She had unsuccessfully applied to be discharged without a conviction for the refusing to accompany charge. She received a $300 fine and has to pay over $5,000 in reparation for damage to the ute she hit.
Good that she plead guilty

I think that puts that issue to bed

Seeing as how I'm not meant to editorialise using words that rhyme with abrupt and start with "COR" all in capitals, I'll let this speak for itself

Fast track committee not undermined by MP's donation - National​

Katie Scotcher of RNZ
May 22, 2024, • 10:07am

9Tzi8ywRz924XE3uHaD6DZ3Ef+IdbOiYlvIROR5vlqUeRrexTocZGobKRJ9od%2Fgnk3B%2FCeKTmTAsIjj6Q0YaYUWw2oFqblA1hC0s2f2jkW%2F%2FIfU2%2FhONgWhX5JHlNHsKbt89%2FeWN8AB2rLlAd+xFgF%2FE65IMEFo8qekyDlr4jMjMqBlH06cHsREigq4E5gfqCqVzO3rL%2FRGUhET3EyaGqQ==

MP's donation declaration issue
Voters in New Plymouth had a variety of reactions to MP David MacLeod's donation discrepancies.

Play Video
Voters in New Plymouth had a variety of reactions to MP David MacLeod's donation discrepancies. VIDEO CREDIT: STUFF
The National Party insists there has been no conflict of interest in David Macleod's chairing the committee considering the contentious fast-track bill.
The New Plymouth MP received $10,000 from a donor with shares in a company hoping to benefit from the legislation.
Macleod was yesterday stood down from his role as chair of Parliament's Environment Select Committee for failing to properly declare donations to his election campaign.
Phil Brown - a New Plymouth businessman with substantial shares in seabed mining company - donated $10,000 to Macleod.

The legislation is being considered by the Environment Select Committee, which Macleod has chaired since December.
MPs on the committee have no control over which projects will be progressed after the bill is passed, but can suggest changes to the legislation.
429189EAA8DB44CFA3F02CAB9A9F11D1

New Plymouth MP David Macleod received $10,000 from a donor with shares in a company hoping to benefit from the fast-track legislation.
ROBERT KITCHIN / THE POST
Te Pati Maori co-leader Debbie Ngarewa-Packer believed their relationship represented a significant conflict of interest.

“When you have the chair of that committee, who has received $10,000 from one of those who is going to hugely benefit from the changes to the legislation, then that's wrong.”
Brown told RNZ nothing untoward had happened.
“When I made that donation, in my personal capacity, we had no knowledge that he was going to be in fact an MP, or whether in fact he was going to be appointed to that role. That's just something that has unfolded as time goes by,” Brown said.
In a statement to RNZ, a spokesperson for the National Party said there was no conflict of interest in relation to Macleod's role on the committee.
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
“The committee is hearing submissions on the fast track legislation, not considering projects which might apply to be considered for the fast track process,” the statement said.
The prime minister has said Coromandel MP Scott Simpson would replace MacLeod as the environment committee's chair.
Simpson is a former associate minister for the environment, as well as National's environment spokesperson in opposition.
“Scott's got great experience, knows the portfolios well, and will be really excellent in the job,“ Christopher Luxon said.
The committee will next meet on Thursday to elect the chair. Simpson said there was still a process to go through, and did not want to get ahead of himself.
“I'm looking forward to joining the committee. I've been on the environment committee in a previous Parliament, and in fact chaired the Parliament environment committee previously. So I'm looking forward to getting back to that area of policy work.”
Simpson had already subbed in on the committee on the fast-track legislation, so was already “au fait” with it, he said.
“It's a big, meaty piece of legislation. It's a pivotal point of the coalition government's policy agenda. So I'm looking forward to getting my head around that again as a member of the select committee.”
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
It's not yet clear when MPs will report back on the bill, but Simpson doubted the change to the committee's membership will delay its work.

Seeing as how I'm not meant to editorialise using words that rhyme with abrupt and start with "COR" all in capitals, I'll let this speak for itself

Fast track committee not undermined by MP's donation - National​

Katie Scotcher of RNZ
May 22, 2024, • 10:07am

9Tzi8ywRz924XE3uHaD6DZ3Ef+IdbOiYlvIROR5vlqUeRrexTocZGobKRJ9od%2Fgnk3B%2FCeKTmTAsIjj6Q0YaYUWw2oFqblA1hC0s2f2jkW%2F%2FIfU2%2FhONgWhX5JHlNHsKbt89%2FeWN8AB2rLlAd+xFgF%2FE65IMEFo8qekyDlr4jMjMqBlH06cHsREigq4E5gfqCqVzO3rL%2FRGUhET3EyaGqQ==

MP's donation declaration issue
Voters in New Plymouth had a variety of reactions to MP David MacLeod's donation discrepancies.

Play Video
Voters in New Plymouth had a variety of reactions to MP David MacLeod's donation discrepancies. VIDEO CREDIT: STUFF
The National Party insists there has been no conflict of interest in David Macleod's chairing the committee considering the contentious fast-track bill.
The New Plymouth MP received $10,000 from a donor with shares in a company hoping to benefit from the legislation.
Macleod was yesterday stood down from his role as chair of Parliament's Environment Select Committee for failing to properly declare donations to his election campaign.
Phil Brown - a New Plymouth businessman with substantial shares in seabed mining company - donated $10,000 to Macleod.

The legislation is being considered by the Environment Select Committee, which Macleod has chaired since December.
MPs on the committee have no control over which projects will be progressed after the bill is passed, but can suggest changes to the legislation.
429189EAA8DB44CFA3F02CAB9A9F11D1

New Plymouth MP David Macleod received $10,000 from a donor with shares in a company hoping to benefit from the fast-track legislation.
ROBERT KITCHIN / THE POST
Te Pati Maori co-leader Debbie Ngarewa-Packer believed their relationship represented a significant conflict of interest.

“When you have the chair of that committee, who has received $10,000 from one of those who is going to hugely benefit from the changes to the legislation, then that's wrong.”
Brown told RNZ nothing untoward had happened.
“When I made that donation, in my personal capacity, we had no knowledge that he was going to be in fact an MP, or whether in fact he was going to be appointed to that role. That's just something that has unfolded as time goes by,” Brown said.
In a statement to RNZ, a spokesperson for the National Party said there was no conflict of interest in relation to Macleod's role on the committee.
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
“The committee is hearing submissions on the fast track legislation, not considering projects which might apply to be considered for the fast track process,” the statement said.
The prime minister has said Coromandel MP Scott Simpson would replace MacLeod as the environment committee's chair.
Simpson is a former associate minister for the environment, as well as National's environment spokesperson in opposition.
“Scott's got great experience, knows the portfolios well, and will be really excellent in the job,“ Christopher Luxon said.
The committee will next meet on Thursday to elect the chair. Simpson said there was still a process to go through, and did not want to get ahead of himself.
“I'm looking forward to joining the committee. I've been on the environment committee in a previous Parliament, and in fact chaired the Parliament environment committee previously. So I'm looking forward to getting back to that area of policy work.”
Simpson had already subbed in on the committee on the fast-track legislation, so was already “au fait” with it, he said.
“It's a big, meaty piece of legislation. It's a pivotal point of the coalition government's policy agenda. So I'm looking forward to getting my head around that again as a member of the select committee.”
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH STUFF
It's not yet clear when MPs will report back on the bill, but Simpson doubted the change to the committee's membership will delay its work.
And yet there is absolute silence from the media that the subdivision fast tracking legislation for SHA introduced by the previous government only approved three consents NOT lodged by KO.... and the Minister responsible for stopping the other consents, Megan Woods, was also in charge of KO.

Worse than that..... Todd Properties threatened to sue the government over one of their rejected subdivisions and, just before the court case was to be heard, Megan Woods reconsidered the application and approved it. The other two subdivisions, one in Lower Hutt and the other in Rotorua, were both opposed by KO and stopped by Minister Woods.... until both became joint ventures with KO who withdrew their objections and then the Minister approved them.

So, the only three non-KO applications Woods approved was due to threatened legal action and KO becoming partners in the subdivision.

Sorry, but COR isn't just the exclusive domain of the present government.

And yet there is absolute silence from the media that the subdivision fast tracking legislation for SHA introduced by the previous government only approved three consents NOT lodged by KO.... and the Minister responsible for stopping the other consents, Megan Woods, was also in charge of KO.

Worse than that..... Todd Properties threatened to sue the government over one of their rejected subdivisions and, just before the court case was to be heard, Megan Woods reconsidered the application and approved it. The other two subdivisions, one in Lower Hutt and the other in Rotorua, were both opposed by KO and stopped by Minister Woods.... until both became joint ventures with KO who withdrew their objections and then the Minister approved them.

So, the only three non-KO applications Woods approved was due to threatened legal action and KO becoming partners in the subdivision.

Sorry, but COR isn't just the exclusive domain of the present government.
I don't recall KO being a private company Mike?

sometimes i can’t even tell if you’re just trolling or not.
However. The article I posted - A National MP who is chairing the committee considering the contentious fast-track bill takes donations from a company directly standing to gain from that very bill and said committee doesn't cause you concern?

However. The article I posted - A National MP who is chairing the committee considering the contentious fast-track bill takes donations from a company directly standing to gain from that very bill and said committee doesn't cause you concern?
Doh… a minister has used her position where it was legislated that she could grant anyones applications but used it to only approve those for a department she was in charge off and
after a company that threatened to sue the government. She was looking after a vested interest (I.e. an increase in KO housing stock in the BOP) just as you’ve posted an article suggesting MacLeod is looking after a vested interest.

Take a deeper look at the subdivision in Rotorua. A private developer wanted to do a subdivision involving just over 300 sections. KO opposed it because they said the information provided for public drainage was adequate and that the surrounding roading couldn’t handle the additional traffic the subdivision would produce. Waka Kotahi had approved the drainage and the Rotorua Council’s drainage engineers made it a condition of the consent that the public drains had to be approved before any civil works started. What’s worse, is the SHA legislation says that the drainage work doesn’t need to be fully designed before an application to the minister is made.

The developer then submitted a revised application with more drainage information including flood mitigation and few sites. KO again objected on the basis that the stormwater mitigation still hadn’t been fully designed and that the number of houses was still to many for the roading system. Again, Megan Woods rejected the application.

The land owner then entered into a partnership with KO to develop the site and allow a number of the houses to be transferred to KO. The joint application called for over 400 houses (far more than the original application) meaning there would be even more cars using the roading network and the drainage information provided still hadn’t been fully designed. The minister then approved it…. despite it having more impact on the environment and neighbours than anything previously applied for.

But no…. Nothing to see here because KO isn’t a private company even though the Minister gave it advantages over private companies. COR!!!!

Doh… a minister has used her position where it was legislated that she could grant anyones applications but used it to only approve those for a department she was in charge off and
after a company that threatened to sue the government. She was looking after a vested interest (I.e. an increase in KO housing stock in the BOP) just as you’ve posted an article suggesting MacLeod is looking after a vested interest.

Take a deeper look at the subdivision in Rotorua. A private developer wanted to do a subdivision involving just over 300 sections. KO opposed it because they said the information provided for public drainage was adequate and that the surrounding roading couldn’t handle the additional traffic the subdivision would produce. Waka Kotahi had approved the drainage and the Rotorua Council’s drainage engineers made it a condition of the consent that the public drains had to be approved before any civil works started. What’s worse, is the SHA legislation says that the drainage work doesn’t need to be fully designed before an application to the minister is made.

The developer then submitted a revised application with more drainage information including flood mitigation and few sites. KO again objected on the basis that the stormwater mitigation still hadn’t been fully designed and that the number of houses was still to many for the roading system. Again, Megan Woods rejected the application.

The land owner then entered into a partnership with KO to develop the site and allow a number of the houses to be transferred to KO. The joint application called for over 400 houses (far more than the original application) meaning there would be even more cars using the roading network and the drainage information provided still hadn’t been fully designed. The minister then approved it…. despite it having more impact on the environment and neighbours than anything previously applied for.

But no…. Nothing to see here because KO isn’t a private company even though the Minister gave it advantages over private companies. COR!!!!
Sure. As I say you should follow up with the media on that. Lots of facts to be found and speculation to be had.

That has nothing to do with what has been reported on by a sitting National MP in the post above. That's happening right now. And is CORRUPT.

Strange how there’s no interest in David McLeod’s faux pa. Was a big topic when Micheal Wood was found out in a monetary issue, McLeod’s a much larger sum

Back