Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hard to fathom how they’re going to lower smoking rates as luxon alleges. Continuing to hike the price of them as has been the case over the years will be helpful for tax cuts proposed but as has also been the case that this as a measure only takes bread off the table for struggling families, addiction doesn’t discriminate.

IMG_4332.jpeg

I’m confused as hell as to why everyone is so up and arms about the smoking change.
people are talking like they are gunna be forced to smoke. If you don’t want to smoke then don’t!!!
I smoked for 25 years and guess who I blamed for that? Myself!!!! No one forced me to smoke, it was my own decision.
Do the people who want a smoking ban also want an alcohol ban?? Both do damage.
Where is everyone’s personal accountability.

I’m confused as hell as to why everyone is so up and arms about the smoking change.
people are talking like they are gunna be forced to smoke. If you don’t want to smoke then don’t!!!
I smoked for 25 years and guess who I blamed for that? Myself!!!! No one forced me to smoke, it was my own decision.
Do the people who want a smoking ban also want an alcohol ban?? Both do damage.
Where is everyone’s personal accountability.

Maybe because consequences of smokers are a severe drain on our already understrength health system.

And It's a product that is proven to be deadly, addictive & adversely impacts health outcomes for lower socio economic demographics.

Smoking is 2 - 10 times more deadly than alcohol (depending on the society).

We had legislation about to happen that would was modelled to not only save lives & save the health system billions of dollars.
This legislation was largely praised by health experts globally and used by other countries to build similar policy.

Removing it to help with tax cuts when no parties campaigned is grotesque.

Is it really hard that hard to understand?

Kind of ridiculous people need to defend the scrapping of this legislation?

A few people recently got their knickers in a twist over Mrs Luxon's tesla, and the Luxon's rental properties, and perceptions of vested interests / hypocrisy

Here is our former Justice Minister trying to dodge her charges and trying to dress it up as some sort of sacrifice to the legal community to set legal precedents and to defend our human rights

How magnanimous

A few people recently got their knickers in a twist over Mrs Luxon's tesla, and the Luxon's rental properties, and perceptions of vested interests / hypocrisy

Here is our former Justice Minister trying to dodge her charges and trying to dress it up as some sort of sacrifice to the legal community to set legal precedents and to defend our human rights

How magnanimous
Not very comparable to those situations though is it?

If it’s so fantastic why didn’t Labour ban smoking full stop from 2017?
For the same reason when last in power that National didn't:

* start work to improve the quality of regulation
* develop a National Infrastructure Agency
* amend the OIA to make it easier for build-to-rent housing to be developed
* introduce legislation to ban gang patches
* progress a 3rd medical school
etc. etc., etc

How magnanimous
false equivalence

It's her right as a citizen.

If you want to compare it to the electric car rebate- it would be like if she did this and then repealed the right for others to do it in the future.

It's her right as a citizen.
Honestly juju juju, you have the shortest fuse whenever it comes to anything to do with the right, yet the patience of a saint whenever it comes to the left.

Yes, it is her right as a citizen to defend herself. In very much the same way it is Luxon's right as a citizen to own rental properties, or for his right to claim a rebate on a Tesla. And it is OK for Luxon to have a personal view that differs from his public views - he is elected to represent the electorate after all.

Where Kiri Allen goes wrong (aside from bullying, and lecturing RNZ on its treatment of her girlfriend [comments made in her personal capacity, not her professional capacity] and drink driving and evading police, while holding the office of Justice Minister), is that most members of the public would just take it on the chin and get on with life.

Instead, she has canvassed her legal network and granstanded on trying to establish a legal precedent, for the benefit of the legal community (but definitely not herself). Yet, she mentions that "If successful in the courts, the police can be found to have illegally arrested and detained the first Māori Minister of Justice"

She obviously picks and chooses when she wants to be viewed as a citizen, and when she wants to be viewed as a politician, interchangably, yet does not accept accountability in either capacity when challenged.

So yeah, it's her right as a citizen. But in this instance, she herself has raised the point that it was the first Maori Minister of Justice that was being arrested. Not herself in a citizen's capacity.

And that's what makes her behaviour abhorrent. Far less abhorrent than Luxon's claiming a rebate on a Tesla, or having a diversified investment portfolio.

Honestly juju juju, you have the shortest fuse whenever it comes to anything to do with the right, yet the patience of a saint whenever it comes to the left.

Yes, it is her right as a citizen to defend herself. In very much the same way it is Luxon's right as a citizen to own rental properties, or for his right to claim a rebate on a Tesla. And it is OK for Luxon to have a personal view that differs from his public views - he is elected to represent the electorate after all.

Where Kiri Allen goes wrong (aside from bullying, and lecturing RNZ on its treatment of her girlfriend [comments made in her personal capacity, not her professional capacity] and drink driving and evading police, while holding the office of Justice Minister), is that most members of the public would just take it on the chin and get on with life.

Instead, she has canvassed her legal network and granstanded on trying to establish a legal precedent, for the benefit of the legal community (but definitely not herself). Yet, she mentions that "If successful in the courts, the police can be found to have illegally arrested and detained the first Māori Minister of Justice"

She obviously picks and chooses when she wants to be viewed as a citizen, and when she wants to be viewed as a politician, interchangably, yet does not accept accountability in either capacity when challenged.

So yeah, it's her right as a citizen. But in this instance, she herself has raised the point that it was the first Maori Minister of Justice that was being arrested. Not herself in a citizen's capacity.

And that's what makes her behaviour abhorrent. Far less abhorrent than Luxon's claiming a rebate on a Tesla, or having a diversified investment portfolio.
It just doesn't compare to the scenarios you listed as a comparison.
She has resigned from parliament and can't influence policy is the point I'm making.

I think it was pretty unwise of her to make comment on the situation and she should probably cop her punishment fair and square.

This could get interesting. It appears there are major financial issues that have been sprung on Nicola Willis. And this is not political point scoring as the finger is being pointed at Treasury rather than Robertson.

I know their is always the ‘last govt left the books in bad shape’ but it’s sounds a bit more than that?

Whispers of an inquiry with the ability to call under oath the former Minister of Finance, and Treasury officials, such is the nasty financial surprises…

Political games or is there something worse?

This could get interesting. It appears there are major financial issues that have been sprung on Nicola Willis. And this is not political point scoring as the finger is being pointed at Treasury rather than Robertson.

I know their is always the ‘last govt left the books in bad shape’ but it’s sounds a bit more than that?

Whispers of an inquiry with the ability to call under oath the former Minister of Finance, and Treasury officials, such is the nasty financial surprises…

Political games or is there something worse?
Any hint of what these issues are?

Any hint of what these issues are?
Willis said she would share more later but I’m hearing significant commitments for future obligations not in the last Treasury pre-election update as was required.

Probably just an excuse to justify changing policies but a hint of more to it than that 🤣

Back