• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL NRL General Recruitment Thread

Can understand from his point of view. The Storm have been a top club for a long time and Bellamy does develop front rowers well. Usually they develop forwards or sign guys they can improve. Probably an indication of what they think of him or what they need.

It would be interesting to see if they quizzed Bellamy on how long he will be coaching for. If that has been announced I've totally forgotten.

From the Storm side, all of the talk was how they were struggling to make an offer that could get registered. Obviously that got sorted.
Also develops fullback.
Hynes Drinkwater Papsmears and of course Billy Slater

NZWarriors.com
Let’s call it rugby league’s black market worth more than $10 million. The contracted players who your club wants to move on before the start of next year.
From established stars to fringe first-graders. Even if you have a deal in rugby league you are always for sale and this proves it.

Players sometimes get a bad reputation for agitating for a release for more money or a better opportunity but clubs are equally as guilty. The only difference is that regardless a contracted player will always pocket what he is owed.

There are a stack of reasons for moving players on. A new coach thinks you’re not going to match his style of play. Your form has dipped well below your pay packet.

It’s not all negative either. Your club may think you’re a first grader but your path is blocked by established stars. The NRL’s strict 30 man roster spots makes spaces almost as important as cap room.

BUILDING A TEAM OFF THE BLACK MARKET​

BUILDING-A-TEAM-OFF-THE-BLACK-MARKET_7PJlcOIR0.jpg

17 players who are contracted for 2025 but would be free to play elsewhere if they could find a new home:
1 Isaiah Iongi
2 Mikaele Ravalawa
3 Valentine Holmes
4 Brent Naden
5 Maiko Sivo
6 Jack Bird
7 Jayden Sullivan
8 Daniel Saifiti
9 Jayden Brailey
10 Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11 Shaun Lane
12 John Bateman
13 Ryan Matterson
14 Danny Levi
15 Blake Lawrie
16 Corey Horsburgh
17 Bunty Afoa

Regardless, what it does mean is that you could be moved on despite having inked a deal.

Struggling clubs are the ones generally selling. Look at the Dragons, Eels, Tigers and Knights. The Tigers are armed with a self-proclaimed $2 million war chest.

The Eels are in the midst of a fire sale of their own. Forwards Ryan Matterson, Shaun Lane and Reagan Campbell-Gillard are free to go should they land somewhere. Maiko Sivo is expected to finish his career overseas.

Should clubs be allowed to 'shop around' contracted players?​

Yes - whatever is best for the club
No - a deal is a deal
Cast your vote

The Dragons are flirting with a stack of contracted players including Campbell-Gillard, Newcastle’s Daniel Saifiti and North Queensland’s Valentine Holmes. They were already the beneficiary of Damien Cook’s time at South Sydney being cut short.

St George Illawarra are happy for Blake Lawrie and Mikaele Ravalawa to move on while they won’t stand in Jack Bird’s way after he requested permission to talk with other clubs.

Over at Canberra you’d anticipate that one of Corey Horsburgh or Emre Guler won’t be at the club next season. Horsburgh is the most likely after being given permission to talk with rival clubs just one season after making his Origin debut.

You are watching​

PREMIUM
'Allowed club to sink': Buzz slams Eels
Continue watching
Click to unmute

The art of tapping a player too is a new skill set clubs must develop. Do it too soon and your season can blow up like the Knights. Leave it too late and you run the risk of not giving the players enough time to find a suitable club therefore hurting the player and your cap.

It’s not all overhead projectors when players are moved on. The ‘war room’ usually involves the chief executive, coach and head of football when making these decisions. The chief executive then reaches out to the players agent while the coach may also have a one-on-one with a player to tell them they are on the chopping block.

Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been linked with a number of clubs. Picture: Getty Images

Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been linked with a number of clubs. Picture: Getty Images
Sometimes there are informal chats between parties too and players happen to come out on the radar of rival clubs.

The likes of Sean O’Sullivan, Danny Levi, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Christian Welch, David Klemmer, Brent Naden, Bunty Afoa, Jayden Sullivan, Ben Condon, Cory Paix, Ken Maumalo, Jaxson Paulo and Ed Kosi are names who some clubs have had chats about pursuing even if they have not technically been told they can leave. Or even if their current club does not want them to go.

It grows every increasingly unlikely that John Bateman is at the Tigers next year when his short stint with Warrington ends while Isaiah Papali’i is a Panthers player in 2025 despite having a Tigers contract.

South Sydney’s Lachie Ilias and Cronulla’s Royce Hunt also remain on the market despite permission to talk to other clubs.

Penrith young gun Isaiah Iongi has drawn interest from a number of clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery

Penrith young gun Isaiah Iongi has drawn interest from a number of clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery
The Roosters already shifted Sitili Tupouniua to the Bulldogs for next season. The Bulldogs roster is in a bit of flux at the moment with uncertainty regarding the medical situation of Ryan Sutton and Karl Oloapu.

Young prop Itula Seve may also be on the move from Canterbury.

The Penrith production line always attracts the interest of rival clubs. This time it is fullback Isaiah Iongi who will make his NRL debut against the Knights on Sunday. Iongi, who is stuck behind Dylan Edwards, has already been identified by other clubs as a potential option from next season with 12 months left on his deal.

Who needs a transfer window? The NRL’s player market has never been as fluid. And that will only heat up once further teams fall out of finals contention.

Calls to drop young stars who move on from their clubs are off the mark. But what it does do is shorten the leash made available should their position come under threat at the back end of the year.

To continue to develop the players or banish them all together? That’s a choice the Eels have to make in the next couple of weeks. And to a lesser extent the Tigers. Blaize Talagi’s decision to move on at season’s end presents an interesting decision for interim coach Trent Barrett. We’ve seen calls from people in the past to dump those emerging players once they sign elsewhere. I’m not a fan. The same with Stefano Utoikamanu at the Tigers. If they are in your best 17, pick them. But if it becomes a toss of the coin job I’d be going for the player who is at the club next year. In both Talagi and especially Utoikamanu’s case they still make their club’s best side.

Proud Shark

Jaws​

Moses murmurs are getting louder. His agent has been shopping him to the Roosters, but Politis has no interest in working with Isaac Moses. The same article also mentioned that the Roosters aren't looking to pay up for Sam Walker, and he could take the opportunity to go to market.

I know many people aren't sold on Walker, but I'd be very keen on either. With a new team in 2027, and potentially again in 2028, having two elite halves locked up across that period would be invaluable to sustained success. This is the move you shuffle the deck chairs for in my opinion.

Go hard for both and hopefully land Moses.

Before Parramatta fans start blowing up at the Sydney Roosters for trying to pinch Mitchell Moses, let’s hear the Roosters’ version of events.

There is no question the star Parramatta playmaker has been mentioned in high powered discussions as a potential target to replace Sam Walker if the young gun halfback decides to leave for more money in 2026.

But the mail coming out of the Roosters is that they are not the ones instigating this talk.

And Eels fans will also take comfort with knowledge there is said to be more chance of hell freezing over than Moses ever playing at the Roosters while Nick Politis is running the show.

The reason is the powerful Roosters chairman will not deal with Moses’ agent, cousin Isaac Moses.

It’s well known that Politis and agent Moses had a huge fallout over the way the Roosters were left in the dark during Joseph Suaalii’s negotiations to switch to rugby union.

What is not as well known is that Politis also carries a deep resentment how the Roosters were previously used to hike up player Moses’ contract value when the now-NSW Origin winning halfback was still at Wests Tigers.

For those two reasons Politis is not even interested in discussing Moses making a possible switch to the Tricolours now or at any point in the future.

It is understood Moses the manager has tried on numerous occasions to make peace with Politis, but the billionaire businessman doesn’t want a bar of it.

Make no mistake, there are conversations going on behind the scenes to try and get Politis and agent Moses to break bread.

Some are even suggesting that by offering up player Moses as a carrot to the Roosters it could also help end the ongoing feud between Politis and the powerful agent.

Player Moses has a get out clause in his Parramatta contract that would enable him to move clubs in 2027.

But suggestions this week indicated it could happen even earlier if Moses starts agitating for a release.

There is no doubt Moses was showing signs of frustration this season on and off the field following Brad Arthur’s sacking and the team’s nosedive down the ladder.

The Roosters are still banking on Walker being the club’s long-term halfback.

Although there is a considerable gap between what the Roosters are willing to pay Walker at this point of his career and what Walker could potentially fetch on the open market.

Walker will be free to negotiate with rivals comes November 1 if he does not work out a deal with the Roosters prior.

What is not disputed is that Walker is happy at the Roosters and does not want to leave the club.

With the Roosters having the bye this round, Politis is currently in Greece but will be back next week to attend the Roosters’ game which is coincidently against the Eels on Friday night.

Of course, Moses is out injured for the rest of the season after having surgery on a biceps rupture suffered during the dying stages of the Origin decider

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

[/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]Proud Shark

Jaws​

Moses murmurs are getting louder. His agent has been shopping him to the Roosters, but Politis has no interest in working with Isaac Moses. The same article also mentioned that the Roosters aren't looking to pay up for Sam Walker, and he could take the opportunity to go to market.

I know many people aren't sold on Walker, but I'd be very keen on either. With a new team in 2027, and potentially again in 2028, having two elite halves locked up across that period would be invaluable to sustained success. This is the move you shuffle the deck chairs for in my opinion.

Go hard for both and hopefully land Moses.

I do wonder, and I could be nieve here but if we were able to sign Moses for 2 or 3 years, how would Isaac be able to shaft us?

He would have no leverage, as Mitch Moses is essentially done in a few years anyways so he couldn't play the 'sign this player or Mitch is gone' card. Or, he could but we'd only be missing out on Moses' last year or two as a 33/34 year old which is fairly low risk?

Yip I'd be signing Sam Walker up in a heart beat if I could. I doubt he would but I'd be happy with the 1.2mil he's asking for if it gets him over here

I do wonder, and I could be nieve here but if we were able to sign Moses for 2 or 3 years, how would Isaac be able to shaft us?

He would have no leverage, as Mitch Moses is essentially done in a few years anyways so he couldn't play the 'sign this player or Mitch is gone' card. Or, he could but we'd only be missing out on Moses' last year or two as a 33/34 year old which is fairly low risk?

Yip I'd be signing Sam Walker up in a heart beat if I could. I doubt he would but I'd be happy with the 1.2mil he's asking for if it gets him over here
There’s also the Dylan Brown side of things as far as the eels go. Could this be making it more possible that eels will do all they can to retain Moses, even pay him more as contact options means salaries can change too. Roosters were linked to offer Brown a contract too and could find it more attractive to not have to negotiate with Issac Moses? Can’t see a world where eels could let both halves leave and if money isn’t the driver for Moses, his age could see him agitate most for the release to get to a club in a premiership window more than where he sees the eels?

The talk on NRL360 with them saying a contract needs to mean something. Or the poor Eels with Moses feeling uncomfortable and may look for a release.

The Eels are the perfect example of the contracting system.

One argument is about their star player wanting out a year after finally signing with them. Then on the other hand at the same time they have a new coach who is trying to offload a large portion of their roster.

Latest is Mitchell Moses wants to join the roosters but the history between his agent and Politis, and also Moses backflipping on a handshake deal years ago has them reluctant. Apparently there’s a possibility of bringing in a third party to negotiations and was Minichello used when roosters signed Tedesco. Interesting to see that the panthers is a team who apparently doesn’t like to negotiate with Issac Moses, but has just signed Blaize Talagi who is managed by him

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Thirteen
Thirteen
Annual Pass Member

ranks_annual_pass_member.gif

Why no Lomax for Roosters?​

Yesterday, 07:39 AM
We wanted Lomax and he wanted to come to us.

The issue was that Lomax fancies himself as a boxer and wanted to pursue boxing whilst still playing footy. Roosters said no to this and Saints wouldn’t let him box either. He didn’t want to leave Saints due to his positional switch, simply not true.

Enter desperate Parramatta who are infamous for their ridiculous clauses in contracts. They didn’t have a problem with him boxing so this is why he signed there. I hope he can box cause he won’t be winning too often at Parra.

This info comes from Doust himself

Off the roosters forum. Sounds like eels still putting silly clauses in their contracts

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I hope we are chasing him as well.
Its weird you never hear of NRL clubs trying to get players from the 7s circuit. NRLW seems to have quite a few but over in the mens side Warbrick is the only one.

If only the Warriors had listened to Robster over the years and got Carlin Isles in contact with the Warriors. I see Carlin Isles is 34 now, so considering our current speedsters might still be worth a shot.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Sivo, Matterson and RGC from the Eels are all available for next year it looks like.

A lot of the noise around the Wahs is that we need another wing, prop, and a replacement for Tohu...

RCG at $600k would be okay I think. Still a bit left in those legs I think

I think we have enough wing props :LOL:

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back