Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Capewell's earning 550k at th Broncos currently. I loved Curran's enthusiasm but if we were able to get Capewell for about the same money, that's a massive upgrade to our team at this point in time.

An experienced pro who's won multiple titles, 9 Origins, played in last year's grand final and is versatile enough to play in the centres....he would be a huge get.

I don't think he's 'out of favour' at th Broncos, they've just got 2 young guns who they need to lock up. Could be an absolute steal of a move if we pull that off. Would have to be for 2024 tho, that's when we need him most

If AFB is meeting teams right now, you'd have to think that the motions are being made to move for this coming season. There's no wating to see how things pan out in 2024 before making a decision going on here. To me it seems as if he is bound by the club to commit to this season unless an equitable trade can be made imminently.
I don't see it that way.

The 2025 player market opened Nov 1st.

Hopefully it doesn't become a distraction but there is zero chance AFB is playing elsewhere next season.

I think having AFB is important this year while young guys like Zyon Maiu’u get up to speed. I suspect Tohu will spend more time in the Prop rotation as well. My feeling is we do not need a superstar Prop signing. We could even convert someone like Niukore to take a role there. What is the word on Kepu? I presume he is planning to play sometime.

I have a question for someone who is more versed in League than me. Who has the best value to a team. A metre eater or someone who may make less metres but has a bigger workrate and faster PTB.
Yes, was going to ask a similar question at some point. What are the top elusive value attributes for any player we would hope to have outside of the obvious ones (like fitness, ideally some postion specific experience and so on)?
Speed seems highly rated for specific positons, in particular for the backs but on its own is not enough. The good players (and importantly, the great players) have a fair bit of attributes like 'the top 2 inches', ability to read games on the go, ability to pace themselves / recover within a game, stamina to do big minutes, whole-of-game management, footy smarts etc., quick feet, good hands, play-reading, instinct etc, all of which can lead to longevity at a high level in the game. Cameron Smith comes to mind - body like an accountant as they say, but an incredible player whether you like him or not.
You can't have a team of Smiths obviously & role specific attributes are widely discussed. Its a combination of attributes across a whole team that makes a good team and a fair amount of the intangibles you need in some players that can mean a great team. Its generally agreed that your spine needs to be the 'brains', the forwards the 'grunt' etc.
At the moment we're guessing which players coming through have that bit more but pretty sure its important enough to be looking for. In replacement players there will be specifics being looked for besides postion-specific requirements.
AFB will do his job for us in 2024, he can't afford not to because even if he is looking and gets signed up by another club in 2025 it won't be worth the paper its written on if he doesn't perform well for us. If an immediate release happens during the coming season it will be because his family situation will have worsened to that extent and you can't begrudge him and his family that.
For those writing off Harris, he's got many of the intangibles listed and the Warriors know it. He himself would not play on if he knows his body can't do it. Forget last year re injuries, take another look - by the end of the season with a little reduced time he was running freely. So I reckon another year or two, probably a reduction in $ but absolutely not a reduction in attitude, goals or commitment. As for age, there's 30-odd players in the NRL atm between 30 - 35, he's not mid-range in that yet.
If Capewell is on Webby's radar he will suss if he has what is needed,

Bring on 2024!

Nobody seems to be considering that we might be talking to Capewell because Ford doesn't intend to re-sign.

No inside info, just throwing it out there.
Fair point, Ford is from a Rugby League Family so I could see him returning to his roots some stage.

But he strikes me as a loyal soldier under Webby giving him consistent game time and self belief

I feel is it happens it’s based on Curran cash flow

Phil Gould has held another not-so-secret meeting, this time with in-demand prop Addin Fonua-Blake.

Warriors star Fonua-Blake, along with Penrith playmaker Jarome Luai, is the hottest target on the NRL open market.

The former Manly forward is seeking a return to Sydney on compassionate grounds in 2025 and the suitors are queuing up for his services. Fonua-Blake has been in Sydney this week exploring his options.

A day after reportedly meeting with Wests Tigers officials, the 28-year-old was on Friday snapped at the airport catching up with Canterbury general manager of football Phil Gould.

He is also expected to meet with St George Illawarra officials about the prospect of rejoining one of his junior clubs.

The meeting with Gould won’t come as a surprise given the premiership-winning coach stated this week that “AFB” was a player of interest.

“Addin is a quality player,” Gould said on SEN Afternoons with Jimmy Smith. “I spent a little bit of time with the Warriors during Covid and got to see Addin first-hand – he’s a quality player.

“He’s not cheap, though. I’d imagine there’d be a lot of interest in Addin.”

Gould has been sprung in a series of meetings with current or prospective Bulldogs players in recent times. The veteran administrator was recently photographed catching up with out-of-favour Canterbury club captain Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who has been allowed to explore his options despite being contracted for a further two seasons.

On this occasion, “Gus” was papped alongside Fonua-Blake and his manager, Tyran Smith.

Speaking at the annual Robert Stone memorial golf day at the Beverly Park Golf Course on Friday, Dragons forward Blake Lawrie said Fonua-Blake would be a welcome addition to the Red V.

“I remember at training one day, he was doing a bit of contact with a couple of boys and he was tearing boys apart,” Lawrie said.

“Addin’s a classy player. I’ve played against him for a number of years now. I remember when was at Manly – he’s got the best footwork as a front-rower.

“[After] the year that he’s had at Warriors, he is a guaranteed top-three prop in the comp, if not number one.

“I don’t really want to comment too much because that’s Flanno’s [coach Shane Flanagan’s role] with recruitment, but to play alongside him it would make everyone’s job a lot easier because of the presence that he has and the sort of player he is.

“He’s a world-class player and he demands respect. Look at the stats and the numbers speak for themselves and the solid game that he plays. It takes three to four players to bring him down.

“We’ll try to get that big fish and obviously, like I said, it’d be awesome to play alongside him.”

I'm just wondering what everyone would prefer?

If AFB were to sign with someone for 2025 in the coming weeks, and we sorted out a deal that we had 2 players lined up (not necessarily from the same club, but for the purpose of this hypothetical let's just say Tigers were happy to give us Pap and Utoikamanu), would we rather have the deal and swap take place immediately so it's from 2024, or do we try and get one more year of AFB before swapping in 2025?

I see positives and negatives on both fronts, but I think I would prefer it to take place asap. I don't know, I feel that AFB might go in to cruise control for 2024 if his future is locked up for 2025 onwards.

isn’t all this talk, innuendo, press conferences, player-coach-manager meetings and press releases contract tampering?

Isn’t AFB contracted through for another few more years?

Same shit happened with Walsh. It seems like rules don’t apply when it’s a warriors player asking for a release.

Idk I think I might be thinking about other sports but sure league has rules around not being able to talk to players before a certain date.

If AFB were to sign with someone for 2025 in the coming weeks, and we sorted out a deal that we had 2 players lined up (not necessarily from the same club, but for the purpose of this hypothetical let's just say Tigers were happy to give us Pap and Utoikamanu), would we rather have the deal and swap take place immediately so it's from 2024, or do we try and get one more year of AFB before swapping in 2025?

I see positives and negatives on both fronts, but I think I would prefer it to take place asap. I don't know, I feel that AFB might go in to cruise control for 2024 if his future is locked up for 2025 onwards.

I would prefer if the club put its foot down and let a player rot in reserve grade if they threw a tantrum like AFB. Regardless of the consequences it would send a great message that this isn’t a holiday destination.

So fucking tired of this Shit.

AFB and Walsh are both on the top of my shit list.

For me preseason so important for bonding culture mindset systems mentality so I’m leaning towards 2025

Saying that depends who the recruits are, if the true pro easy slot in experienced systems plus 1 young blood then that could still work

My money is on AFB going hard for 24

I would prefer if the club put its foot down and let a player rot in reserve grade if they threw a tantrum like AFB. Regardless of the consequences it would send a great message that this isn’t a holiday destination.

So fucking tired of this Shit.

AFB and Walsh are both on the top of my shit list.

Yeah bro I get that, but then looking at someone like Curran, who came over here and worked hard to become a starter. Had some shit in the offseason last year, and while he wasn't as effective this year he still had a contract with us and no outward noise about wanting to return to Australia, and then told him he's free to leave. Not the absolute same situation, but both club and player often look for a release for many different reasons.

Some club is likely going to shed some players in order to purchase AFB, or offer them up on a trade deal to us. Seems kinda shitty for the players who have to move on unexpectedly for AFB, but i dunno it seems like it goes both ways so it is what it is I reckon

Some of you are getting a bit over emotional about this all. Off course he has to go looking now for another club if he wants to move back by 25. He's a million dollar player. No one's keeping that much cap space free till end of the season just in case he decides to sign with them. Not to mention us needing to find replacements before we sign off on him leaving in 25.
Btw I don't hink the players on international duty are back till first week of December.
Agree, when it comes to the wahz, I am super emotional - can't help it, I'm ADDICTED!!!!!

For me preseason so important for bonding culture mindset systems mentality so I’m leaning towards 2025

Saying that depends who the recruits are, if the true pro easy slot in experienced systems plus 1 young blood then that could still work

My money is on AFB going hard for 24

I hope so! I still love what he does on the field, but if he was getting the shits when SJ was getting all the accolades despite AFB "carrying this team", do we really expect the same guy who has stated he wants to leave, will then put in a year long shift at 110% with no complaints when he's not going to be here the following year?

I don't think he would

I hope so! I still love what he does on the field, but if he was getting the shits when SJ was getting all the accolades despite AFB "carrying this team", do we really expect the same guy who has stated he wants to leave, will then put in a year long shift at 110% with no complaints when he's not going to be here the following year?

I don't think he would
I hear you

We will soon see what kind of man AFB really is…. Heart Soul Pride Loyalty or…….. Option B

Back