Post Match 2023 Broncos vs Warriors - Week 3 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• E

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can't fault the effort but we just got outplayed tonight. Yes the blunder was a killer and definitely changed the momentum but we also shot ourselves in the foot in the first half and also with the goal kicking. Considering big picture we were 15th last season, that is a massive achievement in itself. It's very very difficult to win the premiership when you were 15th last season, so the performance we had this season is a huge step in the right direction. Hopefully the boys get some well deserved rest and get back stronger next year. I hope we don't end up like the Cowboys next season and go backwards. Webby and the coaching staff have laid a strong foundation and hopefully they can build on it in the off season. We do need to retool the roster, I think we're missing a superstar or two that could really be that X-factor.

Seriously bro. Pull the handbrakes on this criticism. Too old? Too slow? Webby lacks variation? A tad harsh don’t you think?

Absolutely there’s still work to do. But there’s only two teams in front of us right now - Penrith and Brisbane.

And full credit to the Broncos. They played the perfect dry weather football.

Offloads galore and minimal mistakes. A coaches dream.

We played our structured game. It’s what we’re good at this year. But next year, I’d like this offload/jungle footy introduced back into our arsenal for dry weather tracks. It’s all good.

As fans, nothing to feel bad about. Bronocos were the better team today.
I agree on the too slow and too old especially tonight. We were out on our feet, our usual starting 17 is one of the oldest in the comp and we have one of the slowest baclkines in the comp.

we were ran all over by a young and fast broncos side.

But in saying that we have some of the best young crop coming through

Brisbane to much xfactor, Haas has to be dallym prop was unstoppable... we tried hard but I think we needed to slightly move away from the systems a little bit, can't really blame Webby, he only had the stock that was in front of him, Nuikore was non existent, Tevaga has lost that oomph he once had, Jackson crucial miss tackle, I could go on, but you can keep blaming players but in the end Bronc just to good across the park... I hope they win the big one... over Penrith arrogance
Agree with you. A lot of the boys just didn't show up, didn't have any impact. Berry, TMM, Niukore, Jazz etc.. I think we're a superstar or 2 away from competing with the top teams.

I agree on the too slow and too old especially tonight. We were out on our feet, our usual starting 17 is one of the oldest in the comp and we have one of the slowest baclkines in the comp.

we were ran all over by a young and fast broncos side.

But in saying that we have some of the best young crop coming through

No one was complaining last week. Everyone was singing praises about Tohu’s performance …

I agree, next level up ie to win the GF we gonna need speed and x factor

But without these old hands we wouldn’t be where we are today - top 4, prelim final

Broncos have both

Pompey was a diamond last week but a gravel rock today

Couldn’t kick a conversation to save his life. Lost the ball in the first tackle off the scrum. Gets binned for 10. What a god dam disaster. Also losing the ball on the first tackle killed our confidence and fight back.

Ford - not paying attention to Walters that close to the line and getting fooled by the dummy pass is criminal.

Jazz’s absolute brain explosion trying an offload and tiring position over was so Jazz like.

It’s these critical moments from our usual brain fart players that changed the momentum of the game. I could see heads dropping after each play.

DWZ doing what he does on D and cutting on catching no one was so DWZ like…

SJ looked super frustrated also.

I dunno. It is what it is. You take the highs of last week then need to swallow the lows of defeat

What is nagging away at me is we weren't that far away...

Ford makes his tackle at marker and Pompey kicks one goal it's 18 - 14 at halftime.

But who's to say you hold Walters up they don't go in again. Our middle defence was a real worry today and when Haas made that break up the guts untouched I feared we might be in for a horror show.

I'm still of the belief we missed a trick not bringing Barnett off the bench

What is nagging away at me is we weren't that far away...

Ford makes his tackle at marker and Pompey kicks one goal it's 18 - 14 at halftime.

But who's to say you hold Walters up they don't go in again. Our middle defence was a real worry today and when Haas made that break up the guts untouched I feared we might be in for a horror show.

I'm still of the belief we missed a trick not bringing Barnett off the bench
I think we're still quite far away, we were lucky to be in the fight largely due to the fact the Broncos played a pretty poor first half. If we both played our best game I still think the Broncos have the edge. Better forward pack, more dynamic back line. We just don't have the big game players. As others have mentioned, the brain farts and mistakes you don't see top teams like Penrith making. To'O for instances doesn't make defense lapses like DWZ does, constantly jumping in. Neither does Crichton. Pompey, DWZ and Montoya aren't consistent, yes DWZ is a great finisher but his defence is terrible. I rather lose in prelim than final to be honest cause even if we somehow manage to beat the Broncos, Penrith are just a class above the rest. Their forwards (Fish, Leoata) don't have bad games and we're lucky to have them in the Kiwis side and then you have Yeo there to back them up. The goal moving forward now is to retool the roster and get an X-factor player. Shame we lost Walsh last season, imagine the result today if we had him on our side.

I think we're still quite far away, we were lucky to be in the fight largely due to the fact the Broncos played a pretty poor first half. If we both played our best game I still think the Broncos have the edge. Better forward pack, more dynamic back line. We just don't have the big game players. As others have mentioned, the brain farts and mistakes you don't see top teams like Penrith making. To'O for instances doesn't make defense lapses like DWZ does, constantly jumping in. Neither does Crichton. Pompey, DWZ and Montoya aren't consistent, yes DWZ is a great finisher but his defence is terrible. I rather lose in prelim than final to be honest cause even if we somehow manage to beat the Broncos, Penrith are just a class above the rest. Their forwards (Fish, Leoata) don't have bad games and we're lucky to have them in the Kiwis side and then you have Yeo there to back them up. The goal moving forward now is to retool the roster and get an X-factor player. Shame we lost Walsh last season, imagine the result today if we had him on our side.

Think you have to be careful making comparisons with Penrith.

Already one of the greatest teams ever with much more to come.

Quite far away? Depends how you look at it. These teams we aspire to be have built within. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to market for 'superstars' - you need to find them within your own development.

We have an extremely exciting crop of juniors. If a couple like Ali and one or two of the middle forwards come on we are in a beautiful spot

Think you have to be careful making comparisons with Penrith.

Already one of the greatest teams ever with much more to come.

Quite far away? Depends how you look at it. These teams we aspire to be have built within. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to market for 'superstars' - you need to find them within your own development.

We have an extremely exciting crop of juniors. If a couple like Ali and one or two of the middle forwards come on we are in a beautiful spot
I also think there arent many teams getting better with recruitment next year. Penrith and the Broncos will be weaker with Leniu and Crichton and Farnworth and Flegler leaving respectively. The Dolphins will be better, I think we will be better with CHT and RTS back, Manly will improve. Junior development is going to be massive for clubs to kick on because there arent many superstars floating around the market.

Actually when you think about it...webby and a lot of others in the club reckoned we are another year away... Its obvious I know

After the final round home loss to the Titans last year, it felt about as bleak an outlook as it could be.

I think many of us would have prayed to Santa for a season like the Dolphins had - a hearty, competitive but ultimately limited team.

The big thing to consider is we are ahead of schedule. Emotion aside, it is not a failure to run 6th next year - although I think top 4 is probably achievable again.

I'm not prepared to make any grand predictions about winning comps and other than a bit more strike out wide with RTS it is hard to see where the improvement comes from at the moment.

We are desperate for a prem but what we really need is a team that finishes 7th or 8th in a bad year (Roosters). That's the environment where prems come from and I see a path to that for possibly the first time ever.

This is just the beginning. Up the lets gones.

Like everyone else has said, we weren't good enough tonight. Our middle was soft, not putting the ball carrier on the ground, not wrapping up the ball and then the broncos turned it into a touch game. We didn't execute our gameplan at all.

We didn't deserve 42 points against us though and the missed forward passes were criminal.

So proud of our team though. Been a great season. Bring on 2024.

As for next week, think the Panthers D will be too strong.

One last thing, fuck you Reece Walsh and your forward pass bullshit 🤣. Hope JFH absolutely smashes you next week.

Well team I’ve woken up this morning a bit emotional tbh! I’m tired after the late watch here in NZ (having 2 young kids doesn’t help 🤣) but it’s the genuine disappointment at the result last night. I dead set believed we could (not would but could) get over them.

But a large part of feeling emotional is like all of you I’m just so proud of this team and this club for what they have achieved this year. From where they have been to where they are now is unbelievable. I have waited a long time to have a team that we could be proud of again and that’s now here.

Walking around my (very non-league) neighbourhood with my Warriors kit on and having people comment, going to the local pub and it being packed with supporters, and having friends, family, and my 2 young girls getting behind them has just been awesome.

On the game…
  • The Broncos were the better side but I dont think the scoreline reflected the game. I felt a score of 30-18 would’ve been more reflective.
  • Got outmuscled and think Haas showed he’s the #1 prop in the game, just that smidgen ahead of AFB (but hell id still have AFB any day)
  • That forward pass was just disgusting. I can’t think of a worse forward pass…ever!
  • Agree we are lacking a genuine game breaker in the backline. As much as TMM is the better option, that is one thing that Metcalf brings…speed. I listen a bit to Gus Goulds podcast and he says the thing that scares him the most with teams, teams that have speed.
  • I am too tired to go through and analyse anymore of the game so will leave it at that.
I’m also a bit bummed that the season is now over, what a ride it’s been.

Back