Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Yeah mate it's easy to say that and then not offer any other alternatives...more than happy to hear your thoughts on who we should get, or are you one of those ones that just pokes holes in everyone else's thoughts and not offer any up on your own 😜

I've got heaps of answers for your last question! Why should we be enthused?
  1. Bigger body prop - something we don't have
  2. Experienced prop with over 100 games - something we need
  3. Across his career when playing over 40 minutes he averages over 100m
  4. I think like 15 players had career years under Webby last year, there's a good chance that he'll improve on what he's delivered thus far.
I think we're all in agreement that we can stop going on about 'not getting a like for like replacement' for AFB. We all know this now, and if you don't, you're an idiot lol
As I’ve said, I rate the majority of NRL props ahead of him. What I’m confused by is the fixation from some on this forum for the bloke. I could name a heap of alternatives, not sure how realistic any of them would be to move to NZ however we are now a competitive team that made the top 4 last season. I reckon we’d go ok picking a player up - Mitch Barnett went well at the Knights & was fantastic for us last year, great signing. There’s no need to chase BHU.

BHU might be from an imperfect pack that we smashed up last year
It must be noted that whilst we did smash the Sharks pack in Auckland, they were without BHU, Royce Hunt & Dale Finucane. When they were at full strength earlier in the season we struggled to contain them.
Screenshot_20240105-115723_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
As I’ve said, I rate the majority of NRL props ahead of him. What I’m confused by is the fixation from some on this forum for the bloke. I could name a heap of alternatives, not sure how realistic any of them would be to move to NZ however we are now a competitive team that made the top 4 last season. I reckon we’d go ok picking a player up - Mitch Barnett went well at the Knights & was fantastic for us last year, great signing. There’s no need to chase BHU.

I dunno, imo BHU is the best off contract prop available right now for 2025. If you don't like him fair enough, but to say others are fixated on him is a bit funny seeing as there's literally f**k all out there that, as far as we know are more realistic or probable than him. So it kinda makes sense.

Who are these alternative props you speak of, would love to see a 100 game prop who averages over 100m that's either off contract or theres a bit of oil around.
Yes, we might get lucky with someone being disgruntled or requesting a release but are we going to put all our eggs in that basket? What if no one comes available and then we've wasted the opportunity to sign the next best available prop waiting for something bigger to come along. I don't think the props we have on our books for next year currently are good enough to run with, week in week out. Do you? Because theres a strong possibility that's what will happen if we chance our arm.

I have never really paid much attention to BHU so don't have a strong opinion on him as a potential recruit but I like Tookey's list of positives. Would you (or anyone else reading) be able to name any more specific negatives than "he's below average"? That's not a knock on your lack of detail, I am honestly just curious to know his perceived weaknesses. Also, apologies if his weaknesses have already been covered in this thread and I have just missed it.

It must be noted that whilst we did smash the Sharks pack in Auckland, they were without BHU, Royce Hunt & Dale Finucane. When they were at full strength earlier in the season we struggled to contain them.View attachment 4827
Just to add to this, people (not you)are making comments that BHU was part of a "failed Sharks pack", but the Sharks finished 6th, it's not like they finished last. Most years we'd be stoked with that result if it was the Warriors.
When you look at the teams that finished below the Sharks, a lot of them have players that we'd gladly sign if they became available. So that Sharks pack must have been doing something right.

I think the main thing is the team doesn’t pay overs for him. At 300k he’s a valuable addition to our pack. At $800k he’s just ruined our pack. The question isn’t whether he is the answer. The question is what is he worth?
I think if you’re expecting him to come over for $300k, some might be disappointed if he does sign. I reckon somewhere between $500k-$600k a season is realistic?

I have never really paid much attention to BHU so don't have a strong opinion on him as a potential recruit but I like Tookey's list of positives. Would you (or anyone else reading) be able to name any more specific negatives than "he's below average"? That's not a knock on your lack of detail, I am honestly just curious to know his perceived weaknesses. Also, apologies if his weaknesses have already been covered in this thread and I have just missed it.
Id say his main negatives are that he cant play big minutes and hes a bit injury prone.
Noitall would be close to the mark $ wise i reckon- 500k- 600k.
Id be a lot happier about his signing if it was for this year as it means we're not using the afb money.
But if its for 2025, all things considered id take him- we need a big body who can dent the line and I think webby could get the best out of him.

Just to add to this, people (not you)are making comments that BHU was part of a "failed Sharks pack", but the Sharks finished 6th, it's not like they finished last. Most years we'd be stoked with that result if it was the Warriors.
When you look at the teams that finished below the Sharks, a lot of them have players that we'd gladly sign if they became available. So that Sharks pack must have been doing something right.
Yeah, the Sharks were without BHU & Finucane when they lost by a single point to the Roosters in playoffs too. They gained more metres per set than the Chooks in that game & the lack of forward strength off the bench, due to injury, played a significant part in the result.
They definitely weren't as poor as some are trying to make out

Last edited:
Can recall when BHU scored against us a few years back when he did that wrestling move, I said to my then wife “holy fuck, he just punched his teammate in the head”. She looked at me like I don’t think so. Felt like such a clown, didn’t like him for a bit because of my own gullibility. Funny, I didn’t used to like AFB’s try celebrations either until he joined us.

I dunno, imo BHU is the best off contract prop available right now for 2025. If you don't like him fair enough, but to say others are fixated on him is a bit funny seeing as there's literally f**k all out there that, as far as we know are more realistic or probable than him. So it kinda makes sense.

Who are these alternative props you speak of, would love to see a 100 game prop who averages over 100m that's either off contract or theres a bit of oil around.
Yes, we might get lucky with someone being disgruntled or requesting a release but are we going to put all our eggs in that basket? What if no one comes available and then we've wasted the opportunity to sign the next best available prop waiting for something bigger to come along. I don't think the props we have on our books for next year currently are good enough to run with, week in week out. Do you? Because theres a strong possibility that's what will happen if we chance our arm.
keep your powder dry mate, we'll be sweet as..

Poor motor with a low work rate in the sub 40 minutes he’s typically on the field. Defensively he’s not great for a prop either. I just don’t see anything around $500k as good use of our salary cap. Def appreciate that the props coming off contract aren’t great - I’d go for Max King or Tyrell May however accept that neither are prob interested in relocating. However there’s always plenty of players that move clubs pre-expiry. Capewell our most recent example.

Reality is we are losing the best prop in the comp and scratching to make the best of a bad situation. Is BHU the answer? Almost certainly not. Is he unfortunately the best the team may be able to do? It’s possible sadly.
Reality is that when we signed him he was not the best prop in the comp and to be honest I don't think any other team wanted him. Good coaching and systems made him great. Lets see how he does at the sharks before we get too carried away.

6th is pretty much the standard prediction on where we are going to finish each year on this forum.

The strength of the Sharks pack on the games we played against them in general need to be balanced against who they had out like other posters have listed. Or how we improved during the season.

Another front rower would be useful now. So chances are to replace AFB we will need two players. One may be promoted from within depending on how players develop. Other posters would know where guys are at.

Webster and McFadden would have an idea what they need out of the player. Either specific minutes, amount of meters on average, defensive qualities. Some of those Webster may back himself to fix during the pre season.

Back