Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Who else are you cutting to get the extra $400k? Bunty is a low cost bench prop. He's a solid guy to have in our squad, even if he plays NSW Cup.

I seriously don't think we can afford anyone more than a Keppie/Twal for next year, and that's probably even a stretch cap wise. Established NRL, non flashy NRL players are still going to cost us $350k+.
It would be for 2025 so there could be plenty of wriggle room. Not saying I want SJ or Tohu gone.

Tohu could retire
Bunty
SJ could be finished?
DWZ

If we seriously signed RTS on marquee money for 3 years and locked up our ability to recruit a half decent prop that's some serious mismanagement.

I could understand not having cover for this year due to the Lodge situation, where he should have been the cover. Totally unacceptable going into next year with no cover.

Here's a scenario for you: AFB does his knee in week 12 next season and is done for the year. What's our plan?

If we seriously signed RTS on marquee money for 3 years and locked up our ability to recruit a half decent prop that's some serious mismanagement.

I could understand not having cover for this year due to the Lodge situation, where he should have been the cover. Totally unacceptable going into next year with no cover.

Here's a scenario for you: AFB does his knee in week 12 next season and is done for the year. What's our plan?
I just can’t believe RTS is on big money, perhaps $600k? Which is big enough. With SJ’s form and his salary lower than what he could command, it would totally be poor management and a kick in the guts to SJ.

We have no idea what our plans are for next year....maybe Tohu moves in to the front row? Maybe we pick up a Greig/Twal for a couple of years while our young players come through.

Our back 3 already take a lot of hit ups, plus with RTS coming in he'll likely give us another 100m more than what Pompey often gives us.
That coupled with our huge pack, I don't think we need to stress just yet.
Last year we had games where none of our props or forwards would make over 100m (when AFB was out). Most games this year we're getting 3-5 players making meters with Tohu and AFB often high 150's, so were far better equipped to deal with his loss.

He’s on 500k.

Does anyone actually have any FACTS about rts's salary? If not, what's the point of speculation?

Doesn't seem like RTS is on marquee money. It feels like our plan is to develop forwards from within more than recruit them externally unless an AFB situation happens again and it's someone we just have to find a way to accommodate.

As for the scenario - take a top 3 player out of any team and what's the plan? There isn't one, you just plug the hole and do your best. That's the nature of the salary cap.

Talented as this crop of youngsters are and as we've always had talented crop of youngsters coming through, reality is only maybe 2 (at best 3) of that list will kick on to become regular NRL 1st graders.......the odds arent great.....its just the reality.

The post 2011 season should always stand as a reminder a strong squad is built on a balance of experienced/journeymen/ and promising players.......

The club lost that balance being fooled by all that early Toyota Cup success. After that successful 2011 season we let go of something like 600 games worth of first grade experience with the mistaken belief that crop of youngsters would immediately kick on and fill the gap......something that's probably taken a decade to recover from.
If money were no object should we have two nsw cup teams ? Roosters do. To further our youth prospect options and choices of who to promote to the top team ?

Doesn't seem like RTS is on marquee money. It feels like our plan is to develop forwards from within more than recruit them externally unless an AFB situation happens again and it's someone we just have to find a way to accommodate.

As for the scenario - take a top 3 player out of any team and what's the plan? There isn't one, you just plug the hole and do your best. That's the nature of the salary cap.

when you factor in that our Marquee player is now Shaun Johnson and that he took a pay cut and only got given a one year extension, it is ludicrous to suggest an ageing out of Rugby League form no longer the number one player, likely at center, is going to be getting paid big money.

If money were no object should we have two nsw cup teams ? Roosters do. To further our youth prospect options and choices of who to promote to the top team ?
This year was the first time in a long time that the Roosters had their own internal NSW Cup side. Next year they have no association with the Bears so back to 1 feeder side.
Queensland sides have multiple feeders but it's harder to develop combos.

Back