Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
dont get why you guys would be looking to move curran on seems to go pretty well and as long as the 480k doesnt have a ratchet clause its pretty good value in a 12m salary cap for what he offers
I agree. I rhino is a move now to save a very tough call later when we could lose 2-3 at the same time and the hope we keep the right one that kicks on. While still losing 1-2 we put 3 years of dev into!

AFB and BHU be good when we're running downhill.

Recipe for disaster on defence against good teams though. Both too big, too slow laterally.

AFB and BHU be good when we're running downhill.

Recipe for disaster on defence against good teams though. Both too big, too slow laterally.

Weird statement imo - just looked at about 20 props stats and AFB was in the bottom 3 for missed tackles (bottom 2 if you're looking at how many minutes they play per game).
Hamlin-Uele is middle of the road in regards to stats, so I can't imagine he is much better or worse than other props

Out of the 10 players we have off contract who do you think the club will try lock in today for 2025

Rocco Berry, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Shaun Johnson, Valingi Kepu, Freddy Lussick, Luke Metcalf, Jazz Tevaga, Taine Tuaupiki, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

Rocco and Luke I'd say would be the priority

Assuming Tohu and SJ will hang the boots up end of 2024.

I feel DWZ and Jacko will want to test their worth on the open market possibly head back to Sydney. Would love to keep though.

Frees up lots of cap space hopefully we can throw the cheque book at some fellow kiwis and bring them home - Riki, BHU,

Out of the 10 players we have off contract who do you think the club will try lock in today for 2025

Rocco Berry, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Shaun Johnson, Valingi Kepu, Freddy Lussick, Luke Metcalf, Jazz Tevaga, Taine Tuaupiki, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

I feel DWZ and Jacko will want to test their worth on the open market possibly head back to Sydney. Would love to keep though.

Frees up lots of cap space hopefully we can throw the cheque book at some fellow kiwis and bring them home - Riki, BHU,

I doubt we're worried about locking them in today. No real reason to rush.

Berry, ford, lussick, metcalf, jazz, taine, dwz.

Weird statement imo - just looked at about 20 props stats and AFB was in the bottom 3 for missed tackles (bottom 2 if you're looking at how many minutes they play per game).
Hamlin-Uele is middle of the road in regards to stats, so I can't imagine he is much better or worse than other props

Defensive stats don't tell the whole story. Going by defensive efficiency Bunty is one of the best props in the NRL.

Uele is like Lodge, gets left on the ground behind the ruck a lot. Also gets targeted by hookers who blow past him when he can't make it back to A. Struggles more than smaller mobile props to "close the door" under fatigue.

None of those things registers anywhere in stats. Doesn't effect tackle efficiency, but sure as hell fucks up your defence line.

Defensive stats don't tell the whole story. Going by defensive efficiency Bunty is one of the best props in the NRL.

Uele is like Lodge, gets left on the ground behind the ruck a lot. Also gets targeted by hookers who blow past him when he can't make it back to A. Struggles more than smaller mobile props to "close the door" under fatigue.

None of those things registers anywhere in stats. Doesn't effect tackle efficiency, but sure as hell fucks up your defence line.
You reckon someone more mobile like a Jacob Saifiti or Tyrell May would be better suited?

November 1 – surely the most-commonly cited date in the rugby league calendar – is all but upon us again, with a few tweaks and twists to the best playing talent going up for grabs.

The NRL says it’s serious about a strict “no talkies” rule between an interested club and a potentially interested, soon-to-be off-contract player before November 1.

Before, it was really more of a guideline. An incumbent club will now have 10 days and last rights to negotiations with a player – think Penrith tabling one last salvo to keep Jarome Luai.

And rising stars with less than six NSW Cup or NRL games to their name can’t be approached until mid-May, so none of them are duly included in the below epic.

It’s a market not as chock-full of marquee stars given the influx of long-term, big-money deals in the past year – spurred on by a rising salary cap as clubs tie up their best players.

But as always, there are bargains to be found, a market to be played, money to be spent and careers to be made.

Players such as Jai Arrow (extended by South Sydney and due to be announced early next month) and rising Rooster Siua Wong (re-signed for two more years in recent days) no longer feature.

Nor do players with mutual options for 2025 when the nature of that agreement between club and player is unconfirmed – such as Jack Bird at the Dragons, or it keeps them off the market until later in the year, like Stefano Utoikamanu’s exit clause at Wests Tigers if they miss the finals again.

Otherwise, the top 50 – plucked from around 170 November 1 free agents in total – are ranked based on their genuine worth in the market, taking in future potential, how long they’ve got left in the NRL and demand for their skill set – especially important in a market short on halves, hookers and front-rowers.

50. Daine Laurie

49. Tyson Gamble

48. Chad Townsend

47. Shawn Blore

46. Reimis Smith

45. Moses Suli

44. Daniel Tupou

43. Bailey Simonsson

42. Jackson Ford

41. Max King

40. Jazz Tevaga

39. Zac Woolford

38. Isaiah Tass

37. Mitch Kenny

36. Tom Burgess

35. JWH

34. Jayden Su'A

33. Josh Papalii

32. Shaun Johnson

31. Kurt Kapewell

30. Terrell May

29. Nick Meaney

28. DWZ

27. Brendan Piakura

26. Luke Metcalf

25. Dane Gagai

24. Braden Hamlin-Uele

23. Connor Tracey

22. Adam Doueihi

21. Taylan May

20. Jack De Belin

19. Sitili Tupouniua

18. Toby Rudolf

17. Niwhai Puru

16. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki

15. Tyrell Sloan

14. Heilum Luki

13. Jacob Saifiti

12. Jordan Riki

11. Sunia Turuva

10. Luke Keary

9. Bradmen Best

8. Angus Chrichton

7. Adam Reynolds

6. Brandon Smith

5. Tohu Harris

4. Tom Deardan

3. Ezra Mama

2. Jarome Luai

Joey Manu

Top 50 able to be negotiated with in this and the last post.

Rocco Berry - Would keep. I like him. Not sure how he fits if RTS and Ali are our 2 centers for the next 3-4 years
Jackson Ford - Likely a stop gap before our young guys come in. Surely will head back now that he has a positive reputation
Tohu Harris - If willing and able
Shaun Johnson - If willing and able
Valingi Kepu - GONE
Freddy Lussick - either or. Roache could take his spot
Luke Metcalf - Depends on form. Though i suppose the better he plays, the more i want to keep him, but also the more likely a Sydney club throw a big offer
Jazz Tevaga - Thank you for your services. Pay day in the UK
Taine Tuaupiki - Would keep, but lots of question marks around how the CNK/RTS scenario plays out
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - KEEP for the right money

You'd would think given Broncos salary cap pressures about to come (still to sign E Mam). And with Jordan Riki only on $350k, and the fact we have released a bit of cap with Curren and Sironen (signed when we couldn't sign anyone else and going well at Souths). He could be a really good target - with the possibility (high) in my view of getting him for 2024. This could result in him taking Niukore's spot on the edge and him slotting into the middle. I recall Niukore playing in the middle when they played in the 2022 GF, but can't recall how he went there? Could solve two problems for us. 1 - more strike on the edge, 2 - another useful middle?

Really surprised at the calibre of players that haven’t been locked up and are free to negotiate from tomorrow. Even though they are still signed for next year, would have to assume that many of them have offers from their respective clubs and they are willing to hold out for better offers. Some will stay even though they get to market but in some cases the offer from their club being increased to keep them can mean others being let go to accommodate them.

Before, it was really more of a guideline. An incumbent club will now have 10 days and last rights to negotiations with a player – think Penrith tabling one last salvo to keep Jarome Luai.
It will be interesting to see if it actually has an impact to be honest. If you are a player, and you are chasing cash, you would be expecting your agent to be doing that on your behalf anyway.

Under the new rules, the player does not need to provide proof of the contract that they are signing with the other team, or to even disclose the contract worth.

So yeah, looking forward to seeing if it actually has an impact. If a player was blindsiding their current club and signing with the rival and this is why the rule has been put in place, that just signifies that there is already a problem with the communications between the playe/agent and their existing club.

Could be some big moves coming up, will be interested what happens with Joseph Manu, will he be happy to stay centre? Been tried at five eighth and it didn’t work and Tedesco on big money until the end of 2025 could see him move for big money and a fullback move. Shame we missed out on him last try, might not have been good for our salary cap either.

Was just reading apparently on sen this morning in aussie that Taumalolo could be a release option for the cowboys and prepared to contribute. Apparently Heilum Luki has a player option for 2025 and can be approached tomorrow, they’ve also got a highly rated Kulikefu Finefeuiaki can also be approached. Would take any of them.