Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Parents are critical to education success and I feel our decline in education mirrors a decline in parenting:

‘In term three of 2023, only 47 per cent of students were regularly attending school (40 per cent for Years 9-13). For Māori and Pasifika, it was 34 per cent.’

Diabolical! That’s not our schools fault. That’s parenting (although our govt encouraged slackness/ kindness/ low expectation).

‘The top 30 high schools have their leavers graduating with University Entrance at 87 per cent. The bottom 30 schools have their leavers graduating with University Entrance at 3 per cent.’

That’s not student achievement. I guarantee that’s parenting. Our govt fiddles with teachers and curriculum, when it’s actually up to us as a community to make sure our kids are read to every night and go to school every day.

From personal experience it’s parental attitude - the good parents get good kids and poor parenting produce poor kids. Good education can’t overcome this. We just tip money down a hole in ambulance at the bottom of the cliff mentality.

Parents are critical to education success and I feel our decline in education mirrors a decline in parenting:

‘In term three of 2023, only 47 per cent of students were regularly attending school (40 per cent for Years 9-13). For Māori and Pasifika, it was 34 per cent.’

Diabolical! That’s not our schools fault. That’s parenting (although our govt encouraged slackness/ kindness/ low expectation).

‘The top 30 high schools have their leavers graduating with University Entrance at 87 per cent. The bottom 30 schools have their leavers graduating with University Entrance at 3 per cent.’

That’s not student achievement. I guarantee that’s parenting. Our govt fiddles with teachers and curriculum, when it’s actually up to us as a community to make sure our kids are read to every night and go to school every day.

From personal experience it’s parental attitude - the good parents get good kids and poor parenting produce poor kids. Good education can’t overcome this. We just tip money down a hole in ambulance at the bottom of the cliff mentality.
I told myself I wasn't going to contribute to this thread again because of its pointless discussing issues where many of the views are entrenched and talking to the wall is just as effective but here I go again. Ya got me!
Bearing in mind I agree parenting is an issue and it would be great if all kids got to be read to daily, learn to read themselves (books, not screens) and attend school...
Whats your solution to the article/ opinion piece you've come across Einstein?

More facts.

The saying goes weak times create weak men etc etc. But its the soft parents that create that. Current parents born 70s/80s are probably the fucking worst culprits.

I told myself I wasn't going to contribute to this thread again because of its pointless discussing issues where many of the views are entrenched and talking to the wall is just as effective but here I go again. Ya got me!
Bearing in mind I agree parenting is an issue and it would be great if all kids got to be read to daily, learn to read themselves (books, not screens) and attend school...
Whats your solution to the article/ opinion piece you've come across Einstein?
Bigger picture I think we’re discovering the outcomes of a 2 working parent society. Both through lack of time where both parent work and the lack of resources if they have a single income or single parent household.

But when less than half the kids are at school regularly it’s just an abject failure of parenting. Much more parental responsibility is needed.

I don’t have the solutions but kids are paying the price of less parent to child time and less parental investment in their kids future.

Again schools/ govt can not compensate for lack of parental influence in their kids life.

I believe that the idea of selling the tab was to counter the overseas betting market.
A lot of punting money was in off shore betting markets. Not only racing but sports and online gambling.
Pretty fucked if we cannot find a better way to make the tab financially viable.
These new guys are doing great with promotions and contacting punters who suddenly spend more than usual.
Such a certain financial cashcow that has to be majority sold to an overseas business makes no sense.
I was shocked when I read your initial post about this, did a bit of a google search.
It appears to be a partnership, not a complete sale. Govt worried they are unable to keep up with growing tech costs with a move to mostly online betting. Which seems okay, if they can retain local staffing (seems unlikely long-term with job retentions only guaranteed for two years in current deal).

Again schools/ govt can not compensate for lack of parental influence in their kids life.
All I know is I’m personally going to be responsible for my kids getting through school and getting a half decent career. They will be there everyday unless they physically can’t.

I’m not leaving it to the government and they will be successful. Those that believe the govt is the solution to everything… good luck 👍

I believe somewhere in the stats there are groups that blame everyone else for their position in life and believe the govt must fix everything, yet they are the same ones with the lowest attendance at school and will have the lowest outcomes… and then blame the govt. 🧐

All starts at looking at ourselves and personal responsibility.

Bigger picture I think we’re discovering the outcomes of a 2 working parent society. Both through lack of time where both parent work and the lack of resources if they have a single income or single parent household.

But when less than half the kids are at school regularly it’s just an abject failure of parenting. Much more parental responsibility is needed.

I don’t have the solutions but kids are paying the price of less parent to child time and less parental investment in their kids future.

it’ll be interesting to see what society looks like when those 53% of kids who aren’t attending regularly themselves become parents and providers.

doesn’t sound like the country is going to be forging ahead does it?

it’ll be pretty grim i would imagine.

I was shocked when I read your initial post about this, did a bit of a google search.
It appears to be a partnership, not a complete sale. Govt worried they are unable to keep up with growing tech costs with a move to mostly online betting. Which seems okay, if they can retain local staffing (seems unlikely long-term with job retentions only guaranteed for two years in current deal).
Asset sale under a Labour government. Why did we not hear about this 🧐

yes, and lots of benefits to the agreement as well with improved guaranteed revenue, additional sponsorship etc

Only real concern is the jobs at the TAB after 2 years: 'the retention of jobs in New Zealand, has been allayed with the Entain deal guaranteeing all 450 TAB employees jobs for at least two years.'

Its a serious problem with very serious consequences to individuals, society, the country as a whole. There are potential options to try and address this but whether they would be palatable to the wider public or politicians is another thing.

I think the bigger picture is we're discovering the outcomes of a two parent dependent benefit society.

Alluded to it in the business thread. When will people struggling to compete with wealth realise pooling their resources will get them ahead. 2 families living in 1 household will find parenting responsibilities easier split amongst 4 rather than 2.

Its a serious problem with very serious consequences to individuals, society, the country as a whole. There are potential options to try and address this but whether they would be palatable to the wider public or politicians is another thing.
How many people ship old people off to homes? How many families are cohabitating? Change starts with people.

How many people ship old people off to homes? How many families are cohabitating? Change starts with people.
I met with a young couple a few years ago.... they were renting and the landlord needed to reclad part of the house. I got talking to them and they mentioned they were struggling to pay the rent so I suggested, since they were in a three bedroom house, they moved the desk (she was running a small business from home) from one of the bedrooms into the lounge which was not only better for tax purposes using a bigger space but also meant they could get borders in for the other two bedrooms.

I've kept in contact with them and caught up with them before Christmas. They're about 3/4 of the way to having a deposit for their own place. Her business has expanded and all the profit from that is going into the house deposit. They've shifted into a four bedroom house now because they realised that the borders would pay them more than the additional rent.... in fact the money from the borders pays over half the rent for space they otherwise wouldn't be using.

In a couple of years, he plans on leaving the electrical firm a currently works for and starting his own business.

I suspect those two will do very well in life!!!

Back