International Pacific Championship

My main fear for this tournament is what happens if Australia go out early. What will the NRL do? based on their history the concept will be killed off to protect their SOO brand.

Hey mate - what do you mean by this??

Hey mate - what do you mean by this??

Australia control world Rugby league, therefore by default State of Origin is the highest form of the game and the biggest Rugby League brand.

For Australia Test matches became an unnecessary distraction from that focus, and they interfere with the NRL window scheduling and State of Origin scheduling.

The world body cannot do anything about it, because Australia just pull the chord on test series and we go years without consistent internationals.

If the world body schedule tests excluding Australia the problems include: players being withheld by clubs; the series lacks the pulling power without Australia involved.

State of Origin has become the beast that supplanted international football, it is their world series, it ensures that Australia own the 'highest form of the sport' giving them 100% control over the messaging and revenue share.

When the Kangaroos lose test matches it flies in the face of the mantra that SOO is the pinnacle of the sport.

Therefore my comment merely observes that if the Kangaroos lost to NZ and Samoa and did not play the final, there would be very little incentive for the Australian League bodies to invest further in it.

We are only at this delicate window right now because Tonga and Samoa drove up interest in a big way in Internationals.

Any 'good will' by the Australian Rugby league in setting up this tournament is directly as a result of them realizing there is a new Pacific island market and that there is money to be made in test matches.

I am pleased that England and Tonga are doing their own thing, even though Tonga should be in this comp.

At least England and Tonga have the balls to go their own way independent of the Australian RL system, yet again Tonga are creating history and breaking down the barriers to international rugby league by accepting an invite to play without a whiff of a Australian or NZ meddling.

There is room for both products hence the time separation

Some senior figure s Meninga for example is very respectful and caring of the international arena

Mal is a generation removed South sea islander descended from conscript Pacific Islanders conscripted to do hard yards jobs in Qld a century and a bit ago.

I think you are being a bit harsh.

Union has the country and tests as it’s peak from its amateur days. Massive history and the whole structure of competitions is geared around tests.

League has been professional for ever and the professional competition (NRL) is the focus. Yes SOO may be the pinacle but it’s not the focus. It’s a money making side show. And tests are even more an afterthought. Hence the limited tests and Mickey Mouse eligibility rules.

Just different sports with different histories and different priorities.

I think the 82 invincible didnt necessarily help our game either. the aussies ended up taking the game to another level that the northerners couldnt keep up with and still havent come near to catching up. Once a nation like that goes so far ahead and starts looking inward your stuffed. If the Poms has won an ashes in the 80's and 90's it could look a little different but i think origin was inevitable no matter what.

IMG_3683.jpeg

Seeing the real 17, it really is a very good team, Definitely got myself caught up in the 9’s and just the one warrior in there.

Switch JMK in for Nu and Cheese for Foz, and maybe NAS switches to Samoa, and that is probably a safe bet to say it would be our 2026 team.

Side note, Not sure if anyone saw it on socials but Samoa had a fan day at Victoria Park and it looked electric

Small crowd this weekend
Clear plan to try and squeeze as much money as possible. I get it nzrl only get 2 games a year to make money from gates but I think the wahs prices have made people think twice about going. Even an awesome kiwi squad with that talent doesn’t seem to draw warriors fans to watch which is sad. They’re gonna have to really rebuild the confidence of the kiwi public. But if you best Samoa and aus in Melbourne that will go along way I reckon.

Reckon ticket sales should pick up with Samoa in the country now and the 685 movement in full swing?

I didn’t know Crichton grew up in NZ. Him as the warriors and kiwis centre would have been insane!

Samoa and Tonga are now powerhouses of international league, but their tier two status disadvantages NZ more than other countries.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...gues-eligibility-rules-changed?cid=app-iPhone
Nah, Kiwis and Australia need to understand they done this for years.

They had the cream of the crop and would select players already playing for an island nation.

It was understood by the players and the bigger nations that playing for Tonga, Fiji, Toa, Cook Islands was a stepping stone for the Roos and Kiwis. Not anymore, which makes the international game so much more exciting and competitive.

Look at Mals big moan session last week and he still won by 20 odd. You want to win by 50 and 60?

Nah, Kiwis and Australia need to understand they done this for years.

They had the cream of the crop and would select players already playing for an island nation.

It was understood by the players and the bigger nations that playing for Tonga, Fiji, Toa, Cook Islands was a stepping stone for the Roos and Kiwis. Not anymore, which makes the international game so much more exciting and competitive.

Look at Mals big moan session last week and he still won by 20 odd. You want to win by 50 and 60?
I want nz beating Australia. Im fine with players playing for whoever they want but ruling kiwis out of origin while including everyone else is a major disadvantage.
I feel like international footy is a bit of a false economy at the moment because while these rules have helped with the rise of the island nations (which is great) its also disadvantaged Australias biggest rival (nz) and arguably made them even more dominant.
We were beating australia quite regularly in the early part of the century but they've won every tournament since the 2014 four nations.

I want nz beating Australia. Im fine with players playing for whoever they want but ruling kiwis out of origin while including everyone else is a major disadvantage.
I feel like international footy is a bit of a false economy at the moment because while these rules have helped with the rise of the island nations (which is great) its also disadvantaged Australias biggest rival (nz) and arguably made them even more dominant.
We were beating australia quite regularly in the early part of the century but they've won every tournament since the 2014 four nations.
It’s been all downhill since Super Coach Kearney left the Kiwis.

good fucken call from Maguire ..... make a call early in your loyalty stance.... none of this jump around bullshit, 2 yr stand down .... get it done