Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Curran
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/josh-curran/summary.html

tajhay

💙❤️💚
NameJoshua Curran
Born10 June 1999 (Sydney, New South Wales)
Height185cm
Weight104kg
PositionSecond Row, Lock, Prop
Warriors Player Number#238
Warriors DebutRound 20 vs. Canberra Raiders, 2 August 2019
Warriors Career2019-
RepresentativeIndigenous All Stars, Prime Ministers XIII
Junior ClubMerrylands Rams, Hills District Bulls
Previous ClubSydney Roosters
NRL DebutRound 6 vs. Melbourne Storm, 19 April 2019 (Sydney Roosters)

Josh Curran (born 10 June 1999) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays second-row and lock forward for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League (NRL).

He previously played for the Sydney Roosters in the NRL.

Curran was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, he is of Indigenous Australian (Darug) and Irish descent. He was educated at Patrician Brothers' College, Blacktown.

Curran played his junior rugby league for Merrylands Rams and Hills District Bulls.

Curran then played for the Parramatta Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams.

Curran joined the Sydney Roosters in 2017 and made 28 appearances in their under-20s team in 2017 and 2018, and also played nine times for the Roosters then feeder club Wyong Roos in the Intrust Super Premiership in 2018.

In 2019 he played nine times for the Sydney Roosters feeder club, North Sydney, in the Canterbury Cup. On 25 June 2019, it was announced that he had signed with the New Zealand Warriors until the end of the 2021 NRL season. In Round 20 of the 2019 NRL season, Curran made his NRL club debut for the New Zealand Warriors against the Canberra Raiders.

In round 7 of the 2022 NRL season, Curran was taken from the field during the New Zealand's record 70-10 loss against Melbourne at AAMI Park. The following day, scans revealed that Curran had suffered an MCL injury and would be ruled out indefinitely from playing, however two months later, he returned off the bench in the New Zealand Warriors 16-38 Round 14 loss to Cronulla-Sutherland. Curran made a total of 18 appearances for the New Zealand club as they finished 15th on the table. On 5 October, Curran was placed under investigation by the NRL after a 16-year old boy was assaulted at a late-night venue in Port Macquarie. The boy had his front teeth knocked out over the incident and the perpetrator was believed to be Curran. The New Zealand Warriors club released a statement which read “Warriors CEO Cameron George has confirmed knowledge of an alleged incident involving forward Josh Curran at a licensed premises over the weekend in Port Macquarie, The club wishes to advise that the incident has been reported to the NRL Integrity Unit and will now await any further information from the NRL investigation".

On 21 October, Curran was charged by NSW Police over the incident with a statement reading “Following inquiries, investigators arrested a 23-year-old man after attending Manly Police Station on Wednesday, He was charged with reckless grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and larceny. The man was granted conditional bail to appear at Port Macquarie Local Court on Wednesday 7 December".

Curran played 23 games for the New Zealand Warriors in the 2023 NRL season as the club finished 4th on the table and qualified for the finals. Curran played in all three finals games as the club reached the preliminary final stage before being knocked out by Brisbane.

The 185cm, 104kg back rower made his third first-grade campaign one to remember.

In what was a breakout year for him, the 22-year-old Josh made 14 appearances after making a belated entry into the first grade side.

With only six NRL appearances in his first two seasons, he played 14 times in 2021 as new head coach Nathan Brown showed real confidence in his ability.

Curran rewarded his coach proving a real threat with the ball, scoring four tries and also improving the defensive side of his game. He averaged 79 metres and 39 tackles a game as well as adding 23 tackle breaks and 15 off loads.

Among a series of impressive displays was his effort in the 18-16 round 21 win over the Sharks when he played the full 80 minutes, made 156 metres from 16 runs with two line break assists and a try assist, six tackles breaks and four off loads along with a game-high 42 tackles.

Josh credited his improvement to Brown giving him a reality check and also showing faith in him.

He kicked off 2022 by representing the Indigenous All-Stars for the third straight season and started the NRL campaign with a blistering display against St George Illawarra.

Curran was with Parramatta as an under-16 and under-18 player in 2015 and 2016 before joining the Roosters in 2017. He made 28 under-20 appearances for the Roosters in 2017 and 2018 and also turned out nine times for feeder club Wyong in the former Intrust Super Premiership last year.

Before joining the Vodafone Warriors in 2019, he played 11 times for the North Sydney Bears – the Roosters’ new feeder club – in the Canterbury Cup this season.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 9.19.49 AM.png
Screenshot from the official Warriors site of Josh Curran bio as of 17/10/2023...

Last edited by a moderator:
There were issues in the early season and he could not even make Websters bench.

I take it he is being encouraged to go elsewhere because of off field stuff, which I am very happy about.

I love seeing the guy come off the bench and charge onto a ball, but you cannot have mostly good off field people at the Warriors, it has never ever worked at this club.

This is a new era, a new culture, new standards, new winning ways and success, there will be good talented people that do not fit that model.

Feel like he's given a lot and its been 1 year. Webster doesn't want to turn him into anything?

He's shown a lot of loyalty to Warriors. Feel like we should give him the benefit. But cap wise maybe something has to give.

So if they come back it will be on a lower price.
Curran yes if they extended him past 2024 but Bunty already signed until 2025. Wonder if telling Bunty he’s free to look around is an admission that either there’s a prop on the way and he won’t see much first grade or his spot used for bringing in someone like Zyon Maiu’u? Seems like he’s the most likely in terms of props with potential coming up.

i was thinking he'll be gone if he doesn't get more game time...towards end of the year it was ridiculous his lack of minutes on the field when Ford was gassed...he was another X factor player for me of the bench and i reckon his was the hit of the year on Mulitalo in the Sharks game.......big loss i think...hope he goes to the Storm and kills it

i was thinking he'll be gone if he doesn't get more game time...towards end of the year it was ridiculous his lack of minutes on the field when Ford was gassed...he was another X factor player for me of the bench and i reckon his was the hit of the year on Mulitalo in the Sharks game.......big loss i think...hope he goes to the Storm and kills it
Best case scenario is we get something for him in an area we’re lacking so he essentially becomes a sacrifice for the greater good.

Talking to a mate he believe it's cap pressure.

Losing him is the necessary evil for signing RTS, and keeping our young talent.

But honestly he's young too. So maybe flick a couple of fringe players advise them to go experience life outside nz. When Currans deal is up we will sell him and you can come back home.

Is that a thing? Because if we look at it Curran is helpful now. But the fringe players while good for depth aren't.

Probably a very black and white way to look at it.

I would have thought he would be on roughly 100K more than the rumored 480k.

To that end, I think the Warriors paid a fair amount for both parties, only half of star player money and a hundred K or so more than a journey man.

Sits about right in my mind, which is further evidence the Warriors have been doing good recruitment predating Websters era.

I am feeling upbeat about him going. Any player with a whiff of off field stuff needs to go...given we are absolutely stacked in the NSW cup it is a bold and future looking move.

I can't shake this feeling that he will go to the Storm and it makes me sick.

He makes their pack look immediately way better imo, even though a prop is maybe a more pressing need.

8. Welch
9. Grant
10. Asofa-Solomona
11. Katoa
12. Curran
13. King

Or Curran can play 13 and they can play musical chairs with NAS on the edge, Kamikamica starting or something.

They were apparently looking at Tino and Haas so there must be, somehow, money to spend for them.

I get the idea is to free money up for our young guys, but if they were to come knocking, could Joe Chan a better option than Laban? There are huge wraps on him. Howarth too of course, but he is apparently on more than Curran is so that wouldn't work.

Cces Cces you wouldn't happen to watch Q-Cup too would you?? 😅😂

Damn it! he even looks good in purple 😖

Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 4.28.55 PM.png