Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
This is a big cliff we have fallen off and still are falling! I know we will be back but how long till our next win! Even if we get the wooden spoon, we have to stick with Webby and try for 2025

Is that for after we get flogged by the chooks or the Panthers? Suffering the speed wobbles in my Warriors faithfulness again
The concept of sack x thread no longer exists on this forum. All discussions on player/coach whether good/bad goes directly in the persons thread. This is so we can look back and find all the naysayers when we go onto win the comp in... nah jokes.

Its just more organised this way and better to just have one thread per player than multiple ones to read the differing opinions.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/coaches.html is where I got my stats. Statistically Webster has the second best win percentage after Daniel Anderson including this season.

Kearney has a 54.76 win percentage as Kiwi coach so maybe that is what Wikipedia is on about.

In regards to some of the players not performing. Well it is usually the coaches job to sort that out.
I'd personally put that on the senior players.
Unless, of course, they're the problem. Which is usually how it is....
To be honest, given how shit we were in the first 20, I fully expected to lose by a lot more than 6 and I'd like to thank the Knights for taking the wrong attacking option on at least three occasions...

Read the heat map article

Confirmed my gut feeling we still have enough possessions and territory to blow teams away, surprisingly though even with atrocious handling and penalty counts

We just suck at finishing, and the fact that teams are stacking their defenders in their middle and left showed how much we sucked attacking on our left edge with the extra space, Ford seemed more threatening running on the left?

For those thinking Taine might do a Metcalf, I just remembered 100% of the time he creates a half gap and gets pulled down when trying to take it, might suck at line breaks but might create gaps for Roger running next to him

Man we haven’t had a line break assist for ages lol, Monty did a solo in the weekend

The concept of sack x thread no longer exists on this forum. All discussions on player/coach whether good/bad goes directly in the persons thread. This is so we can look back and find all the naysayers when we go onto win the comp in... nah jokes.

Its just more organised this way and better to just have one thread per player than multiple ones to read the differing opinions.

It was extremely enjoyable to look back at the thread when Webby was announced.

A naysayer or two was likely swayed since 🤣

Anyone who wants Webster to go needs a hard look at themselves when they quote the "insanity is doing the same thing over again expecting a difference result".

There wouldn't be many teams that have had more coaches than us in the last 20 years. The teams that have done well are ones with long term coaches, the only exception at the moment would be Eels. I will moan about Webster until he changes this team, but I would back until the end of his contract at the minimum. Our club needs stability. The difference between now and the Ivan Cleary era is that we have a much much much much better back office. We have a coach that believes in our players. Webby will also get better, but he might need reality to kick his ass before he sees that he needs to be adaptable while still holding onto his beliefs that he can coach players to be better (sometimes they have reached their ceiling).

Anyone who wants Webster to go needs a hard look at themselves when they quote the "insanity is doing the same thing over again expecting a difference result".

There wouldn't be many teams that have had more coaches than us in the last 20 years. The teams that have done well are ones with long term coaches, the only exception at the moment would be Eels. I will moan about Webster until he changes this team, but I would back until the end of his contract at the minimum. Our club needs stability. The difference between now and the Ivan Cleary era is that we have a much much much much better back office. We have a coach that believes in our players. Webby will also get better, but he might need reality to kick his ass before he sees that he needs to be adaptable while still holding onto his beliefs that he can coach players to be better (sometimes they have reached their ceiling).

You mention Eels, they made a GF which supports your point even more.

To be fair, I haven't really seen much proper sacking discussion. And if there is we are more likely to sign the big fella having lunch with leg tats than Webby getting the chop within the next 2 years.

Everyone deals with losing differently but if we were offered to miss the finals this year and run 6th, 4th, 2nd the next 3 years, you're taking it.

Make no mistake friends, Andrew Webster is our guy. He’s got a hell of a job on his hands atm. But he’s our man.

From what I can tell, he already tried something different……. A fairly big change.
It has been said time and again that our attack is becoming predictable. I actually think switching Ford and Capewell was a step in the right direction. One of the reasons our right edge was so effective last year was Marata Niukore running his lines and putting the fear of god into the other team. We don’t have that anymore, and the other teams half just pushes out and the rest number off shutting down anything.

Kurt Capewell, is a really good player. But he’s not that kind of player. He has a proven record of success on the left edge. He’s a skilfully gift guy, someone who could probably create more options for Roger.
Jackson Ford is a fairly decent line runner himself. Not like Niukore, but better than Capewell. Using him to try and draw in defenders would help with our outside options. Realistically, was it ever going to work after 1 week. Especially if Johnson isn’t training. I doubt Laban (a rookie) is the answer.

You do have to criticise Webby’s bench selections and his use of that bench. I’m sure there was a plan and people going down certainly hasn’t helped. But fuck me there’s been some head scratches.

There aren’t too many other things he can do. Feel we need to concentrate on defence first. Just get in the grind and work teams.

The only change I would make right now is select a 4th man on the bench that is 100% going to be used. I don’t care who, I don’t care how. Just someone/something.
And I’d bring Adam Pompey in for Rocco. Unfair? Yes. Especially when others have been playing worse. But he’s the only one you can really slide out IMO. It is what it is.

Walker can cover hooker, he's getting pulled after playing for about 40 minutes anyway to make way for Barney/Tohu/AFB etc

Thanks for posting - this level of analysis is not something I've seen before.

It's funny because it supports most of the League worlds question of us at the moment 'how is this happening to them'?

For me, I see those first two losses of the season as now seeming potentially terminal to the season. Win those and everyone is feeling good, things coming together etc etc. Instead we've been behind on the table all season and now a dreadful run of form has shot us into the bottom 4.

Yes, we lost three in a row this time last year. But, those losses were agaist the prior 3 Premiers!

We only spent one round outside of the 8 last year which was off the back of those 3 losses. Dipping as low as 9th, maybe 10th can't quite recall exactly.

Slow start to the season and now 3 losses on the bounce against teams most others are beating. It's such a long way back even though it doesn't look it on the congested table.
I really cant agree with this. Such a mentally weak approach that only the Warriors suffer from? We lost because we werent good enough, and we are losing now because we arent good enough.

Who the fuck wants webster gone! Ban them!!!!

I think it's a good thing that Webbys experiencing the lows as a head couch this year.. and let's face it every head coach goes through it at least once in their career.

The 90min draw with Manly broke the camels back for some reason. To the point where the boys look burnt out and can't bounce back.

So the challenge for Webby is to figure out why then how to fix it.. good luck on that one..

Don't write off Webster yet.

He'll get them back on track.

If anyone can break my stats of making the finals at this stage of the year (need 6 wins of the first 10 games) it's Webster and these Warriors.

3 more games until we get a 2 bonus point bye.

I believe if we can win at least 2 of the next 3, we should come right.

If not it's about Round 14 onwards.

I still believe.

Who the fuck wants webster gone! Ban them!!!!
I was stirring. I quoted Tahjays original post.

I disagree with selection and bench use. But if there's a coach I back to fix us, it's Webby.

This looks like a long term gain approach vs a win now approach though I've been wrong plenty times before.

Perhaps our problems genuinely are players not trusting the "process"???

Players who can't catch the ball or not give away penalties, at least no dumb defensive reads and fatal mistackles this week, they're still following "THE PROCESS" (you know, you know)

That word is giving me PTSD

Players who can't catch the ball or not give away penalties, at least no dumb defensive reads and fatal mistackles this week, they're still following "THE PROCESS" (you know, you know)

That word is giving me PTSD
Yes I get that. 1995 is a long way back to remember how many worst moments we've had. This season is wobbling like crazy but without a guarantee that it will get fixed. Sorry for triggering your Warriors based trauma.

Reactions: CWC
I just realized applying South's sacking formula, we're 4:1:8 ie 4 wins out of 13 since the end of last year, I'll start a rumor about Wayne coming to the Wahs next year 🤣

I really cant agree with this. Such a mentally weak approach that only the Warriors suffer from? We lost because we werent good enough, and we are losing now because we arent good enough.

I'm not so sure about that - winning brings confidence, losing brings questions. At the moment, not many answers to the questions being asked.

We didn't play that well second half of last year but won the games, so on we went belting the team song (even though it seemed things were a bit off)

Starting the season 0-2 instead of 2-0 is something we haven't recovered from.

I'm not so sure about that - winning brings confidence, losing brings questions. At the moment, not many answers to the questions being asked.

We didn't play that well second half of last year but won the games, so on we went belting the team song (even though it seemed things were a bit off)

Starting the season 0-2 instead of 2-0 is something we haven't recovered from.
Im confused. No team can recover from 0-2 start? Or just the Warriors are so mentally weak, we cant recover from an 0-2 start?

Back