Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Judith Collins as the Minister of Space.

Its almost satire isn't it
It quite possibly would to you.

This current coalition is getting a fair bit of flak, some warranted and some not so much.

The new Minister for Space (and a new Minister for Mental Health) should be seen as a good, progressive move for the country.

Last edited:
While I’m still against the new Government scrapping the Smokefree legislation in its entirety, I can’t see how going from the estimated 6.5% of the population (360,000) to the Smokefree goal of less than 5% of the population (275,000) is going to save 5;000 lives per year. Does smoking suddenly become “healthy” when less than 275,000 kiwis smoke considering the figure released by the Health Dept. says around 5,000 people die each year because of smoking or second hand smoke?
The education and current legislation seems to be doing a very good job of reducing smoking. And the amendments that have been cancelled seems to be ignoring the data, particularly with our youth.

Older people and lower socio economic people are seen as having the highest smoking rates.

Our youth smoking has been in decline and youth who have never smoked has risen significantly.

Unfortunately youth vaping has had a dramatic increase...

Last edited:

This current coalition is getting a fair bit of flak, some warranted and some not so much.

The new Minister for Space (and a new Minister for Mental Health) should be seen as a good, progressive move for the country.
We’ll need to see whether any positive outcomes in mental health or whether we’re living on mars in 3 years to know if the roles have been a success.

We’ll need to see whether any positive outcomes in mental health or whether we’re living on mars in 3 years to know if the roles have been a success.
Just like anything. Though I don't think living on Mars in three years is the target. Sounds more like it may have been a kiwibuild crowd one though?

Just like anything. Though I don't think living on Mars in three years is the target. Sounds more like it may have been a kiwibuild crowd one though?
What would a minister for space’s role entail? Certainly a good role for collins to be number 1 space cadet.

What would a minister for space’s role entail? Certainly a good role for collins to be number 1 space cadet.
What would the minister of agriculture's role entail? Or the Minister for Fisheries? Or....

On the face of it, do you think it's a good move or not having a Minister of Space and a Minister of Mental Health?

The education and current legislation seems to be doing a very good job of reducing smoking. And the amendments that have been cancelled seems to be ignoring the data, particularly with our youth.

Older people and lower socio economic people are seen as having the highest smoking rates.

Our youth smoking has been in decline and youth who have never smoked has risen significantly.

Unfortunately youth vaping has had a dramatic increase...

Arguing the rise of one ill like Vaping as leverage for accepting the loosening of controls over another worse evil is just daft.

Can you not understand logic?

Why is the new minister of mental health a progressive move for NZ? serious question, I know nothing about the thinking behind your statement.

What would the minister of agriculture's role entail? Or the Minister for Fisheries? Or....

On the face of it, do you think it's a good move or not having a Minister of Space and a Minister of Mental Health?
As you agreed, we’ll have to see if there are positive outcomes. If not it’s wasteful spending that the previous government was criticised for.

As you agreed, we’ll have to see if there are positive outcomes. If not it’s wasteful spending that the previous government was criticised for.
So, on the face of it you think it's a good idea?

Obviously to Northland I presume.
I actually don't think there's enough room to handle the amount of shipping now let alone the future.
Ships are getting bigger every year.
Would take a shit load of dredging to begin with.
The other downside is workers need housing.
They'll be required to sell homes in Auckland and need to buy again in Whangarei area.
Why don’t they shift it to Tauranga? Motorway almost done

So I'll take that as a no, you don't think it's a good idea.
Guess I would be just trying to understand what would be involved with the role? The other ministers you mentioned are representatives of their sector which I can understand but a big part of roles in those sectors like agriculture or fisheries is negotiating trade deals etc which I don’t see a point for a space minister. It’s a fluid topic which I’m not totally up to speed with so just needs more understanding for the likes of myself to get onboard with. Not saying it’s a bad idea.

Back