Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just my opinion but why didn't he consider the suitability of the area to handle the volume of shipping and more importantly the fact that the size (numbers of boxes they hold) before worrying about rail and road access.
I’d say it was because NZ First were wanting to offer carrots to the people of the North to vote for Shane Jones….. things like whether it could actually work wouldn’t have entered their minds.

Wants to shift the port from Auckland and lease the land for 35 years.
Unless the game plan has completely changed then my understanding was that the plan is to lease the port on a long term concession. The port operations will continue as they are but most likely run by a global port operator. Interestingly Maersk are showing some interest so not sure what that could mean for Port of Tauranga. However there won’t be any major shift of container volume further north.

Unless the game plan has completely changed then my understanding was that the plan is to lease the port on a long term concession. The port operations will continue as they are but most likely run by a global port operator. Interestingly Maersk are showing some interest so not sure what that could mean for Port of Tauranga. However there won’t be any major shift of container volume further north.
True. The previous CEO of POAL was a Maersk stooge who was installed by Maersk to crack MUNZ. Where is he now and when is the court date.
The new CEO appears to be doing a great job and safety and employee relations and profitablility have improved dramatically. From what I understand .The major parties that would be potential operating partners or whatever have created serious problems in other ports. Namely Hutchinsons and DP World.
This wouldn't be anything new if you consider previous overseas stevedore companies

Last edited:
Goff was making similar statements about having to raise rates and the same issues. He talked about fixing things but never saw it through.

I can't see Brown seeing it through either.

Sure it's politics and you can get voted out. But like Goff I can see him getting to a point and deciding it's time to move on. Bring in the next guy and some big statements, rinse and repeat.

Goff was making similar statements about having to raise rates and the same issues. He talked about fixing things but never saw it through.

I can't see Brown seeing it through either.

Sure it's politics and you can get voted out. But like Goff I can see him getting to a point and deciding it's time to move on. Bring in the next guy and some big statements, rinse and repeat.
Molloy??

True. The previous CEO of POAL was a Maersk stooge who was installed by Maersk to crack MUNZ. Where is he now and when is the court date.
The new CEO appears to be doing a great job and safety and employee relations and profitablility have improved dramatically. From what I understand .The major parties that would be potential operating partners or whatever have created serious problems in other ports. Namely Hutchinsons and DP World.
This wouldn't be anything new if you consider overseas stevedore companies
Roger Gray has had Luxon like timing - KiwiRail hiked pricing & made Tauranga’s Metroport service fairly uncompetitive, plus he’s now milking prices big time. However to be fair he’s got the Auckland container terminal operating a lot better. His predecessor was hopeless.

Roger Gray has had Luxon like timing - KiwiRail hiked pricing & made Tauranga’s Metroport service fairly uncompetitive, plus he’s now milking prices big time. However to be fair he’s got the Auckland container terminal operating a lot better. His predecessor was hopeless.
Agreed. As I said before Gibson was Maersk stooge.

Reactions: kos
Agreed. As I said before Gibson was Maersk stooge.
And a shocking manager
Mind you back in. 96 I hired the guy ( for a different role) who cocked up the Fergusson container terminal automation
Guess I should not throw too many stones

But guys getting killed on the job due to faulty operating/ policies/ strategies is wrong wrong but as John said POAL running better now that Gibson has gone.

Does New Zealand really need a Minister of Space? - The Front Page​

By Damien Venuto

There is a massive potential to benefit from growth in the business of space. Photo / Trevor Mahlmann

There is a massive potential to benefit from growth in the business of space. Photo / Trevor Mahlmann

The country will for the first time have a Minister for Space under the new National-led Government.

Cabinet Minister Judith Collins will take responsibility for this portfolio, in addition to also having responsibility for technology.

Businessman Kevin Jenkins, previously a founding board member at Aerospace Auckland, tells The Front Page podcast he wasn’t surprised at all to see the National Party appoint a minister to this role.

“Mr [Christopher] Luxon, the new Prime Minister, announced in October that if they became Government, they were going to appoint a Minister for Space,” says Jenkins.

“At the same time, the National Party also announced some space policies that included things like the notion of an annual Prime Minister’s Space Prize for the top student in aerospace-related subjects, fast-tracking for high-skilled migrants and possibly establishing some dedicated testing zones for space.”

In terms of Collins being appointed to the role, Jenkins notes that it is quite common internationally to see the portfolios of tech and space come together under the responsibilities of a single Minister, as is the case in Canada, the United States, Australia and South Korea.

Jenkins says the growing importance of space comes down to the economic value this sector can deliver if developed appropriately.

“The world’s our oyster,” he says.

“In 2019, the space sector in New Zealand was estimated to directly contribute around $900 million in GDP and more than 5000 jobs in New Zealand. Indirectly, it supported another $790m and about another 7000 jobs.”

Jenkins says that based on global averages, average annual GDP growth in the space sector has been rising by about 5 to 10 per cent annually.

“If you apply that to New Zealand, then you’re talking about doubling the New Zealand space sector by 2030. And globally, the numbers are already quite amazing. Revenue in the space sector is estimated at around $550 billion and is expected to reach close to $800b in five years.”

While there is growth in many tech businesses, Aotearoa has a rare advantage when it comes to space.

“We’re one of only 11 countries with launch-to-orbit capability. Just think about that. How many countries are there in the world? More than 200? We’re one of 11 that launch to orbit. We’ve also achieved the world’s first successful launch from a private site with Rocket Lab. And in 2022 New Zealand launched the fourth most rockets in the world, only behind the United States, China and Russia. We have some genuine advantages, and this isn’t just a fluke.”

So what will it take to actually capitalise on those advantages? What potential hiccups could we face? And are we taking the risks of climate change and space junk seriously enough?

By Damien Venuto

The country will for the first time have a Minister for Space under the new National-led Government.

Cabinet Minister Judith Collins will take responsibility for this portfolio, in addition to also having responsibility for technology.

Businessman Kevin Jenkins, previously a founding board member at Aerospace Auckland, tells The Front Page podcast he wasn’t surprised at all to see the National Party appoint a minister to this role.

“Mr [Christopher] Luxon, the new Prime Minister, announced in October that if they became Government, they were going to appoint a Minister for Space,” says Jenkins.

“At the same time, the National Party also announced some space policies that included things like the notion of an annual Prime Minister’s Space Prize for the top student in aerospace-related subjects, fast-tracking for high-skilled migrants and possibly establishing some dedicated testing zones for space.”

In terms of Collins being appointed to the role, Jenkins notes that it is quite common internationally to see the portfolios of tech and space come together under the responsibilities of a single Minister, as is the case in Canada, the United States, Australia and South Korea.

Jenkins says the growing importance of space comes down to the economic value this sector can deliver if developed appropriately.

“In 2019, the space sector in New Zealand was estimated to directly contribute around $900 million in GDP and more than 5000 jobs in New Zealand. Indirectly, it supported another $790m and about another 7000 jobs.”

Jenkins says that based on global averages, average annual GDP growth in the space sector has been rising by about 5 to 10 per cent annually.

“If you apply that to New Zealand, then you’re talking about doubling the New Zealand space sector by 2030. And globally, the numbers are already quite amazing. Revenue in the space sector is estimated at around $550 billion and is expected to reach close to $800b in five years.”

While there is growth in many tech businesses, Aotearoa has a rare advantage when it comes to space.

“We’re one of only 11 countries with launch-to-orbit capability. Just think about that. How many countries are there in the world? More than 200? We’re one of 11 that launch to orbit. We’ve also achieved the world’s first successful launch from a private site with Rocket Lab. And in 2022 New Zealand launched the fourth most rockets in the world, only behind the United States, China and Russia. We have some genuine advantages, and this isn’t just a fluke.”

So what will it take to actually capitalise on those advantages? What potential hiccups could we face? And are we taking the risks of climate change and space junk seriously enough?

Makes sense.

MAGA have Spaceforce and Darth Trump as the face of it, Judith Collins will be good in this role, not adverse to doing questionable offshore deals for the sake of personal gain, this will be right up her alley.

We could place launch sites in all the national parks like Mahia serves Americas Rocket Lab.

Fiordlands beauty with a Big ass Rocket giving you CAM shots of Tui and Kereru taking flight in huge flocks to the Rumble of a Carbon producing Metal penis with flames.

I thought Wayne Brown was a complete clown earlier but he seems to be taking some good steps lately which is a surprise.

Yup the Port Concept is to lease to a Saudi Operation for 30 years.
He's been doing some pragmatic work on public transport and has been stating that nobody should be spending more than $50 a week on their public transport commutes.

Local council across the country all seem quite in the shit at the moment. I was just reading Hamilton have had massive budget cuts and are looking at a 25% rates rise.

Have we ever seen a new government get such bad press in its first week? Both here and internationally.

Interesting because Taylor was such a detractor of the last government.

By Damien Venuto

Judith Collins as the Minister of Space.

Its almost satire isn't it

And a shocking manager
Mind you back in. 96 I hired the guy ( for a different role) who cocked up the Fergusson container terminal automation

But guys getting killed on the job due to faulty operating/ policies/ strategies is wrong wrong but as John said POAL running better now that Gibson has gone.
T
And a shocking manager

The thing that I found strange was the Board and the Council hierarchy couldn't see the problem yet it was blatantly obvious to the Unions involved.
In this case anyway.

T
The thing that I found strange was the Board and the Council hierarchy couldn't see the problem yet it was blatantly obvious to the Unions involved.
In this case anyway.
Didnt POAL have a company union in there as well as MUNZ Seafarers Pilots etc?
I m a long way away now.

Didnt POAL have a company union in there as well as MUNZ Seafarers Pilots etc?
I m a long way away now.
No The old Watersiders Union amalgamated with the Seafarers Union back around 2000.
Now is called MUNZ .Theres also the Rail & Maritime Union.

Reactions: kos
While I’m still against the new Government scrapping the Smokefree legislation in its entirety, I can’t see how going from the estimated 6.5% of the population (360,000) to the Smokefree goal of less than 5% of the population (275,000) is going to save 5;000 lives per year. Does smoking suddenly become “healthy” when less than 275,000 kiwis smoke considering the figure released by the Health Dept. says around 5,000 people die each year because of smoking or second hand smoke?

Back