NRL The Underperformers Thread

I had hopes for Tuimoala Lolohea.
Add me to the "Disappointed With Kevvie" crowd.

Nathaniel Roache I can't say I had huge hopes (more "quietly make it in the NRL" rather than "Be The SHUPER-DUPER Star" type) for at the start but once he starting getting hit by The Injury Stick regularly, I kept hoping he'd get some decent game time (and after a while, training time!) but nope...

Exceeded expectations: Luck, Curran, Watane-Zalezniak...

Another who, to be honest, failed my expectations but not by as much as his reputation says he should have (ie I expected Average and got below Average. I should have been expecting Good at least): Foran.

Pita Godinet was neither an under performer nor below average, but he was just too dam small, he would prolly make it in our current side.

As we see with Taine Tuapiki you can have one small guy in a very good defensive side with structure on D.

In Websters side Pita probably could have eeked out a role as a bench utility/hooker half when Walker is unavailable for selection.

Very good attacking player.

Hard to argue with a lot of names listed on here.

If a player makes first grade and struggles due to hitting their talent level that is fine. It is the ones that don't push on as they don't do the hard work. Either keep on track of the things off the field for their preparation like nutrition, sleep, fitness. Then the little areas on the field like assisting in the tackle, plugging gaps on defence or support play.

A lot of players we have had come through have been guilty of that. Some of the bad habits may also be due to coaching in the lower levels not catching things or letting them get away with things.

Hard to argue with a lot of names listed on here.

If a player makes first grade and struggles due to hitting their talent level that is fine. It is the ones that don't push on as they don't do the hard work. Either keep on track of the things off the field for their preparation like nutrition, sleep, fitness. Then the little areas on the field like assisting in the tackle, plugging gaps on defence or support play.

A lot of players we have had come through have been guilty of that. Some of the bad habits may also be due to coaching in the lower levels not catching things or letting them get away with things.
That was the argument about John Ackland, as I recall. Found a way to win at U20s level and as Mickey Mouse in "South Park" would say, didn't give two shits and a popsicle if it helped the player transition to NSW Cup/NRL level. Of course, it was found out by the opposition at NSW Cup level, but that didn't stop some players get the NRL Boarding Pass where it was found out in front of several thousand fans and on TV...

Exceeded expectations: Luck, Curran, Watane-Zalezniak...

Another who, to be honest, failed my expectations but not by as much as his reputation says he should have (ie I expected Average and got below Average. I should have been expecting Good at least): foran
Regards to Foran his whole career you have to call him a success with the kiwis and premiership.
So from how he emerged onto the scene he was brilliant to hitting rock bottom with his issues and injuries.
He rebuilt his career with help from warriors no doubt and Hasler he found some more form his tenure with us was not great but since he's left he's been nothing but brilliant. Foran should be regarded as a alltime great in my view.

C
Regards to Foran his whole career you have to call him a success with the kiwis and premiership.
So from how he emerged onto the scene he was brilliant to hitting rock bottom with his issues and injuries.
He rebuilt his career with help from warriors no doubt and Hasler he found some more form his tenure with us was not great but since he's left he's been nothing but brilliant. Foran should be regarded as a alltime great in my view.
Yeah, long career, played in a crap Warriors set up while busted.

Certainly gets hard to name a better NZ stand off across club and Country.

Olsen Filipaina was our best in tests but had his struggles in club footy with his team mates racially abusing him.

Henry Paul was very special in a black Jersey, I think he's tops, but too few tests.

Foran sure is a Kiwis legend and probably beats those two when you throw in World cups, four nations, Tri Nations and hooker for the Pacific Champions.....yeah Forans a NZ great, no doubt about it.

C

Yeah, long career, played in a crap Warriors set up while busted.

Certainly gets hard to name a better NZ stand off across club and Country.

Olsen Filipaina was our best in tests but had his struggles in club footy with his team mates racially abusing him.

Henry Paul was very special in a black Jersey, I think he's tops, but too few tests.

Foran sure is a Kiwis legend and probably beats those two when you throw in World cups, four nations, Tri Nations and hooker for the Pacific Champions.....yeah Forans a NZ great, no doubt about it.
Don’t forget benji.
Although when they were both available for the kiwis foz always got the nod.

Don’t forget benji.
Although when they were both available for the kiwis foz always got the nod.
Ah yeah I always think of Benji as a Kiwis 7 when those two play....so certainly would put Marshal at the top of all Kiwi Halves tbh based off game winning ability alone.
SJ is in career best form and not playing Kiwis!

Ah yeah I always think of Benji as a Kiwis 7 when those two play....so certainly would put Marshal at the top of all Kiwi Halves tbh based off game winning ability alone.
SJ is in career best form and not playing Kiwis!
I think it was Sj best season but I feel like he was playing even better 2015 before he broke his leg and also 2020 when he snapped his achilles.
I reckon his teams would’ve gone deep those years if he had stayed fit- he was unstoppable.

I think it was Sj best season but I feel like he was playing even better 2015 before he broke his leg and also 2020 when he snapped his achilles.
I reckon his teams would’ve gone deep those years if he had stayed fit- he was unstoppable.
What could have been in 2015 if that injury didn't happen... we were top 4, looking like contenders and then a record string of losses with so many other bloke's career's going down the drain because of it. Tragic, still hurts to think back on it.

Back